Trying to get models to be less oily looking

Hi all, so I am trying to paint my Iron Warriors again after hating my old paint jobs. But I ran into the same problem again. My models look oily and I thinned down my paints a lot, applying multiple coats.

For those of you who managed to get the really crisp looking effects. How do you do it?

This is what I did:

1. Black primer

2. Drybrush Boltgun metal, thinned down

3. Nuln oil wash

4. Drybrush Natural Steel (vallejo) to make model brighter

5. Apply thin coat of Warplock Bronze to trims

6. Drybrush Hashut Copper on trims

7. Drybrush Gold (Vallejo) on trims

The results are as following....

gallery_12238_7904_139295.jpg

med_gallery_12238_7904_132658.jpg

So, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I can't see the problem mate - they look awesome. Perhaps use some matt medium in with your painting mix?

Perhaps not use the Vallejo and change the colour to another silver - if that's the last layer you're applying, perhaps the problem lays with that?

It is funny though, using Nuln Oil and worrying about oiliness. I know that's not what's causing it, but still :D

I meant the oily texture due to the shine. I originally thought it was the first coat of drybrush of boltgun metal. So I tried to use a coat of Boltgun without drybrushing. It's still kind of there.

med_gallery_12238_7904_85067.jpg

I like the matt medium suggestion. Maybe mix that with Chaos Black?

This is what a model looks like after the Nuln Oil wash.

med_gallery_12238_7904_57534.jpg

Do you guys have any suggestion on what type of final drybrush to use instead of Vallejo?

Thanks for all the replies!

If you want a flatter finish spray them with satin varnish.

Any brands you would recommend? I did a quick google search and I think it might work!

I'd just recommend any Satin or Matte - both are equally likely to take it down, although the latter would be my preference.

Any brands you would recommend? I did a quick google search and I think it might work!

I'd just recommend any Satin or Matte - both are equally likely to take it down, although the latter would be my preference.

+1

Hit them with matte varnish and watch that sheen go bye bye.

Also remember to shake the can for at least 5 minutes straight before spraying (not kidding!), dont spray too close, several ultra thin layers are preferable to one thick/gunky one, dont spray in humid or cold weather.

+1

Hit them with matte varnish and watch that sheen go bye bye.

Also remember to shake the can for at least 5 minutes straight before spraying (not kidding!), dont spray too close, several ultra thin layers are preferable to one thick/gunky one, dont spray in humid or cold weather.

This man speaks the truth!

I've only used GW's Purity Seal extensively in past, and that provides a "semi-matt or satin finish" - which may be the ideal compromise!

Archived