Pingo's completed Space Wolves

pingo

I'm surprised that no one has commented on these. I'm not going to repeat what I said over on your blog, but I will say again that I really, really, really like them thumbsup.gif

Cheers, Ludovic. I figured everyone was bored of my wolves, hehe :)

I love your work. I need to know how you do your wolf pelts, they look amazing.

Thanks; the wolf pelts are sculpted very similarly to this tutorial on From the Warp: http://fromthewarp.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/how-to-sculpt-and-mold-fur-cloaks-and.html

The main differences with what I did was that I sculpted directly onto the miniature. So, I just press and smooth out something that was approximately the right shape and then cut the little clumps of fur with a modelling knife. I started from the bottom and worked up and near the top I'd 'roll' over or add a small peice of greenstuff to the top to create the sort of folded over part.

They're not too tough to sculpt, really. You don't need to be too neat as the fur isn't brushed or combed or anything. And if it all goes wrong, you can always just pull it off and start again :)

Oh, I see. Well, I don't really have a set formula for the fur. It's all done with washes and drybrushing though. I might do a fur tutorial at some point.

You can pretty much use any colour as a base, from cream to black depending on the tone of fur you want. Two washes are normally good: one all over, then one only in the middle or towards the top to add variety in colour. Lighter furs benefit from a sepia wash, then a darker brown. Mid-brown furs either two brown washes or a brown and a black. Grey or near-black furs use only black washes. Then, drybrush with an appropriate highlight colour before a final light wash to tone things down.

The 'skin' part of the pelt is Deneb Stone, washed twice with Ogryn Flesh, drybrushed with Terminatus Stone, then washed lightly with Argrax Earthshade. I use that formula all the time regardless of the colour of fur.

• 3 weeks later...

Pingo, care to tell me how you do the gold parts? I'm also trying to go for this kind of muted gold, but always comes out too bright.

Sure; it's pretty easy actually.

1) Basecost with Balthasar Gold

2) Wash with Devlan Mud

3) Drybrush with Golden Griffon

4) Lighter drybrush with Necron Compound

5) Light wash with Devlan mud to tone things down

Hope that helps!

Archived