Blood Angels Allies For Grey Knights

Blackwinter

hi brothers,

In my gaming club one of my friends is selling his little BA army. He has some assault marines and tactical squads, and some HQ.

I always loved BA fluff wise and play style. But i never commanded one. My main army is GK and i have nearly 3000+ models.

My question is can BA'S ally with GK efficiently?

Or can you advise me a build to ally GKs with BAs?

The only time I would suggest taking Blood Angel allies is when you want;

A Death Company Blob.

Dante / Sanguinary Guard Troop w/ 5 IP

Mepheston

Interceptor Squads are better than Assault Squads at most everything but Deep Striking. Strike Squads are better than Tactical Squads at everything but AP2 shooting, but they make up for it in other places. Henchmen are better at Razorback Spam than Assault Squads. Devastators, Predators, Vindicators and Baals are great to have, but not by themselves. The only place we have you beat is Storm Ravens.

Hammernators are really the only other thing I could see you wanting, but without a Priest its not worth it to field them. Vanilla Marines put them on the table cheaper.

If want allies I would strongly suggest that you;

Take a generic army, but 2 full Assault Squads and Mepheston. Put Mephy on the board, and then Deep Strike the Assault Squads on to key targets. Move into the fray once :rolleyes: hits the fan.

Take a Sanguinary Guard Squad with Dante. x5 Melta in the squad, a banner and a Priest. This gives you 6 Meltas. Precision Deep Strike puts you on target, and now you've got flying terminators. This, also works with most generic Grey Knight armies.

Death Company would also be fun, but extremely difficult to deliver. You don't want to Drop Pod them in, because 9 times out of 10 they won't pick up First Blood, and the pod will die. If you can work that out, they can be a huge buff to most armies. Just remember they don't capture.

And there you have my opinion! Good luck! On this note I'm working a list with Grey Knight allies allowing my Hammer Terminators to be scoring.

BA can ABSOLUTELY work as an ally to Knights. 2 Tac squads with Razorbacks provide you with some backfield scorers and some aggressive plasma/melta to support a Rhino/Razor-borne Strike Squad list, and jumper Assault Squads can provide the aggressive push that is often lacking in a Henchmen list.

If you want a list, you will have to be a bit more specific as to what your friend has, and what you have.

My GK army has:

draigo,coteaz, a terminator armored inquisitor, a power armored inquisitor, a grand master, 38 power armored gk, 15 terminator armored gk, 2 rhinos, 1 land raider/ crusader, 1 dreadknight, 1 stormraven, 1 dreadnougt (not pysfelman.)

my friends BA force has:

15 asssault marines(only 5 of them have jump packs), 5 deathcompany and a razorback.

i can add models to BA by your advices.

Interceptor Squads are better than Assault Squads at most everything but Deep Striking. Strike Squads are better than Tactical Squads at everything but AP2 shooting, but they make up for it in other places. Henchmen are better at Razorback Spam than Assault Squads. Devastators, Predators, Vindicators and Baals are great to have, but not by themselves. The only place we have you beat is Storm Ravens.

ASM are also natively scoring and can bring melta, making them better heavy tank hunters. You can also bring more of them, as they're only about 2/3s the cost of Interceptors.

Death Company would also be fun, but extremely difficult to deliver. You don't want to Drop Pod them in, because 9 times out of 10 they won't pick up First Blood, and the pod will die. If you can work that out, they can be a huge buff to most armies. Just remember they don't capture.

Pods give up first blood a lot less frequently than you'd think. First turn deep strike means if your opponent goes first they can't be shot at and thus won't give up First Blood that turn. AV 12 means they need at least 4's to glance with anything short of a lascannon or melta. That, combined with 3 HP means they need a fairly large number of shots to get enough through, and that's if they have a clean shot at the whole model: 25% obscured isn't that hard to get. On top of that stunned, shaken, and weapon destroyed do virtually nothing, so even with AP2 weaponry there's only a 66% chance per pen to do anything worse than subtract an HP.

Plus, if they're shooting at your Drop Pod then they're not shooting at the rest of your army. Unless you literally have nothing with 2+ armour saves or AV in the rest of your army, anti-tank weaponry will have much higher-priority targets than a deployable terrain feature that can't do much more than sit there once it arrives. If you're playing a mission where First Blood is important (such as the Relic or Emperor's Will) you can always deploy the DC on the table or in a Raven and/or drop the DP behind terrain.

@Blackwinter

I'd have at least 5 of the non-JP ASM fall to the Black rage and be inducted into the Death Company... all you need is a fresh coat of paint :) That way if you want to go minimalist on BA troops you can take 5 ASM with a Razor, and it gives you models to flesh out the DC into a real threat.

Archived