Cultists - Marked or Naked?

Gresiloth

Do you guys think it's worth paying the extra points to give Cultists the MoN? I'm not talking about the zombies which Typhus unlocks, but just the standard troops choice.

Toughness 4 certainly has its appeal statistically, but they are still going to wither to any concentrated fire, and the Mark gets fairly expensive if you start giving it to big mobs of guys. Perhaps they're therefore best used as stripped down, cheap and cheerful(ish) scoring units, leaving your PMs to do the real work?

I do however think it seems well worth upgrading to Autoguns (unless your goal is to foot slog them forward and bog things up in combat I guess).

Absolutely. The ability to take a model as tough as a space marine for a grand total of 6 pts is utterly amazing. Things that should wipe them out just don't. I use two 21-man blocks of cultists with MoN and I love how resilient they are. Especially combined with a Sorcerer with Biomancy, since he can often give them FNP, although obviously not every single time.

If you want a solid, durable squad sitting on an objective, MoN can give you some great mileage. You won't get that good of a return on anything else other than MoK on a squad moving with an Apostle into close combat.

In most cases I would not mark them, since more bodies is better than marginally higher toughness and the MoN makes 'cheap' blobs expensive.

The one notable exception is in Tallyman lists, where the MoN gets you many other benefits besides the +1 T (big blobs of cultists ignoring armor is hilarious!).

I also agree, I've been using 2x10 squads of cultists with a flamer in my force, and for 110 points they do what I expect. Adding even more points on to that for +1 toughness while still having a 6+ save doesn't seem that great to me (after I tried it and they died just as quickly).

In a Epideimus list they might be worth while, but as I don't feel like trying a 1 trick pony list, I shall keep my cultists naked (apart from a flamer that is).

Naked as is the way, why waste points on them? I just won a small tournament using them solely as objective grabbers while my plague marines did the business. In all the games they killed a grand total of two marines but held nearly all my objectives. Cheap and nasty, just what a cultist should be!

Archived