couple of rules questions regarding LRC transport

skeletoro

So... I seem to remember hurricane bolters having the "defensive" property, allowing you to shoot them regardless of distance moved. Does this still exist in 6th? What book are these rules in (can't see it in my SW codex or in the 6th edition rulebook...)

Second question regards the definition of "unit" - does a unit's transport count as part of the "unit"? For example, could Logan Grimnar apply "tank hunters" to a land raider he was riding?

There are no defensive weapon rules anymore, hurricane bolters are just another gun on the tank.

A transport vehicle is a seperate unit, you don't join it, you embark which is different. So no, Logan can't upgrade tanks.

Hmm, with that in mind I have to wonder whether the LR Redeemer is generally going to be the better option, at least if you're planning on using it as a transport.

Going flat out (common for first turn): neither unit gets a shot.

Cruising speed: LRC shoots 1 weapon and snap fires the rest. LRR shoots 1 flamestorm or assault cannon. (Can't snap shot the flamestorm but could snap shot the AC).

Combat speed: Both get to fire two weapons and snap shot 1. Interestingly, at this point the LRR could actually choose to target 3 separate units - flamestorm 2 different units and snap shot the TL AC at a flier, for example.

Stationary - both fire all.

Is this understanding correct? I imagine I'd be moving flat out on T1 and then combat speed T2 (and then unload my wolf guard terminators). As an assault transport, it really does seem very good. On turns where I'm dropping off my assault units, I have by necessity been moving Combat or slower.

Am I also right in saying that the tank could assist in melee with careful template placement?

That's about right, except that you're forgetting the Power of the Machine Spirit that allows both to fire an additional weapon at BS at a separate target, which can be a flamestorm cannon.

I didn't mention it but I think my totals include that? Normally it's 0/1/all for cruising/combat/stationary - I listed it as 1/2/all.

Well, maybe I've got this wrong, but you don't actually target models with a template weapon such as a flamer, right? You just place the template and hit whatever it touches. I can't see anything in the BRB but I could totally be wrong. It was more of a guess on my part :)

You need to target a unit, and cover as much of that unit as possible with a flamer template weapon.

Considering you can't snap fire template weapons, a LRR doesn't seem that great, as it can fire about as effectively as it could back in 5th (while other vehicles can fire everything as a snap shot if they move cruising speed).

Yes, you need to position the flamer on your target unit as much as possible, if you're out of range then you 'miss' and the template isn't placed.

So you can't fire the assault cannon at a target 23" away and 'accidentally' flamer a unit of infantry next to you.

Well, the machine spirit can but its an exception of course!

What does "as much as possible" mean? That sounds a tad vague for a rule (I know you're paraphrasing though)... do you know where it says this in the rulebook? Is it really "as much as possible" or more like "the template must touch at least 1 model in the unit" or something else?

It has to touch at least one enemy unit in the target unit BUT it also must touch as many models in the target unit as it possibly can while following the regular rules for a template weapon. This means that if you can target the unit and arrange the template in such a way that you could touch 4 models in the target unit or touch 3 models in the target unit and 3 models in an adjacent unit, you must take the position that hits 4 models in the actual unit you have targeted, as doing it the 2nd way would be breaking the rules, even though it gets you more hits.

Archived