Successor Test Schemes

Zoatibix

Greetings, brothers.

I'm starting to work on a few ideas for my DA Successors. One thing I always struggle with is choosing a paint scheme and sticking to it.

I've come up with a few ideas and wondered if you would mind letting me know your opinions.

My successors regard the Fallen as traitors no more heinous than any other. They are to be killed or captured but DIY chapter do not put their current mission at risk for the Hunt.

I like the dark, slightly sinister look of this. I still think of Dark Angels as being black armoured and this green a passing fad by GW! Really, it just mixes up the standard colours. However, we are inundated with Traitor legionnaires at my game club at the moment...many of whom are painted in either black or very dark colours. And the loyalists are BT or Ravenguard! It gets a bit samey, and depressing!

spacemarine.jpg

Next variant is a nod towards AoA. And my obsession with painting things bone...which perhaps i should move away from. Although I do like the contrast with the black robes. The black robes here represent DIY Chapter's shame at having to keep the Dark Angels' secret.

spacemarine.jpg

Or a split between the Legion/Chapter colours of DA. IIRC a very similar scheme was used in the 'create a successor' competition a while back. Apologies to whoever that was! I tried to find the thread again but could not. I've put the left (sinister) as the original Legion colours as I felt that was most fitting :P

spacemarine.jpg

I like black, I like bone...green robes can also kinda work which ends up with the next scheme but this might be a tad busy? And also I think the Bone/Black split is similar to a BA successor chapter (although this is perhaps unavoidable with so many chapters)

spacemarine.jpg

Lastly, I'm quite fan of Arkley's scheme. Again, the robes represent the burden of imposed upon the chapter by their progenitors.

spacemarine.jpg

Or...very lastly... just stick with the DA scheme but use black robes. This would be some kind of penance that the company is on having allowed several Fallen to have eluded their grasp (presumably while fulfilling their proper and correct duty to the God-Emperor!)

spacemarine.jpg

I prefer the halved schemes, myself, as they look less like the canon successors and more like your own. Just for the sake of originality (or should I say the appearance of) I'd like to vote for number three - the green and black scheme. :P

I'm a sucker for the red... :P And if you're wanting to go the route of super individualism and in the geneseed of the Lion then red your color to speak out with.

The halfed black and bone would look amazing and in my opinion is by far the most striking.

Just a heads up from someone doing Angels of Redemption. Halfed colour schemes can be very hard to find a third color for that really works. But when done can look really amazing.

If you are thinking about the red option Arkley has some amazing red Unforgiven Linky

Good luck brother!

I'm a sucker for halved schemes so I'd go withh bone and black halved. Not too sure about the green robes. Maybe red or brown?

I think I agree with this. As far as robes, if you darkened the green it'd do okay but I think a nice deep red would work better.

Bone/black halved schemes are hard to pull off but if done well look stunning. I'm preferring a dark green robe/tabbard over that, but the red has some merit, so maybe use that for sarges and master etc?

Cheers

I

I agree with Master Isiah, but also wanted to add:

Another thing to consider while choosing robes: what color will the bolter casings be? You don't want those to fade into the robe color or one of the armor colors. Also, the highlight colors can be important in distinguishing the two, for instance, you could use black bolter casings with black armor, but highlight the armor in gray and the bolters in blue to visually separate them. Obviously on some things, like bone, this probably wouldn't work too well.

I think you should go with a bone/black halved with green robes and deep red shoulder trim or helms/helm stripes for the sergeants, etc. I would probably go with deep red weapon bodies with this scheme, or a metallic like bronze or brass.

Like where you are going with this and hope to see some figures soon!

Personal favorite:

spacemarine.jpg

And I agree with Isiah, the black and white is a tricky one but could yield stunning results. But you have to ask yourself: Greek or red robes? ;)

Greek robes? Royal guard stile DA? HAHAHAHAHA.

Ahem. Ok time to get my bearings.

Simple typo my friend... simple typo... ;) I've corrected it! <_<

Archived