Dantes Death Mask

Drunken Angel

Commander Dante of the Blood Angels has a curse which is made at the start of the game on one enemy IC. The model cursed has -1 Weapon skill -1

Wound -1 Initiative and -1 Attack.

The Death mask of Sanguinius otherwise follows the rules for Death Masks given in the Sanguinary Guard entry.

The Death Mask of the Sanguinary guard forces an enemy assaulted by one or more units with the death mask to pass a leadership test or be reduced to weapon skill 1 for the duration of the assault phase.

I have an opponent who refuses to accept that Dante can use his mask as a normal sanguinary guard mask later in the game. Can a third party please verify that Dantes death mask can be used in both roles in a game

page 53 states...

pregame he picks an indepent chacter...

blamo minus whatever it says..

during the game it works like a normal death mask....simple as that a special death mask for a special chapter master

Like Capitano said, the rule for his death mask states

"Specific rule for his mask....

... The death mask of sanguinias otherwise follows the rules for a death mask"

I would have shown him the rule from the book. If he didn't believe the rule I would have started to pack up my army and make as big of a scene as I could to demonstrate that your opponent has no regard for the written rules of the game. If there was no codex to be had, I would suggest start taking one (or atleast a PDF on a laptop, phone or tablet) every time you play someone who isn't a friend. And some times with people who are friends.

Too many times someone has tried to doop me because of the rules. I had someone tell me that you couldn't assault from open topped vehcihles (Orks), but still wound up getting beat. Had someone try to convince me that Wolf Claws could reroll both hits AND wounds if you had two. I just didn't care, and still wound up winning every game we played. The best one, a guy refused to admit that my Flamestorm Cannons ignored the cover save from Nob Bikers exhuast cloud special rule. That time the player made such a huge deal about it (and this was actually game breaking unlike the other times) that I packed up, made an even bigger scene in front of all the other players screaming about the sanctity of the rules and threatning him with the Inquisition (no joke) and left...

All the above stories could have been solved by having a rule book present.

Commander Dante of the Blood Angels has a curse which is made at the start of the game on one enemy IC. The model cursed has -1 Weapon skill -1

Wound -1 Initiative and -1 Attack.

The Death mask of Sanguinius otherwise follows the rules for Death Masks given in the Sanguinary Guard entry.

The Death Mask of the Sanguinary guard forces an enemy assaulted by one or more units with the death mask to pass a leadership test or be reduced to weapon skill 1 for the duration of the assault phase.

I have an opponent who refuses to accept that Dante can use his mask as a normal sanguinary guard mask later in the game. Can a third party please verify that Dantes death mask can be used in both roles in a game

Im confused about this question. As Kickrock has noted/suggested, is it an issue of not having the rulebook?

If it is, then get the darned book. The lad cant rely on your word and if hes not a good mate, he shouldnt have to.

If you do have the book, then your gaming partner is unfortunately not clever and struggles with English comprehension and your issue lies not with back up and "yes it is!"s from a forum but rather with how to get him to remedial reading classes.

Thanks Mort, all the answers and suggestions are good, thank you guys. I always play with my army codex, big rule book and FAQ's on the table. Yes this particular player suffers from an inability comprehend and understand simple rules where he believes he may be placed at a disadvantage. A common issue encountered more often in less than able players it seems.

Tried to claim it was T4 to auto on his remaining deepstrikers when it was T3 and I had -1 modifier to his reserves rolls, complained about having to roll difficult terrain when he landed in it (they are terminators they should not have to take these) even after I took a dangerous terrain wound from my Sanguinary guard in the same terrain previously. Demanded a 4+ cover save on a scattered demolisher S10 template (3 inches) that centered on a walker because the vehicle barrel was not perfectly able to see the walker. It goes on it was not a fun game they happen some times I guess.

So, if the guy feels that you're trying to take advantage of him with rules you have several options here;

First Option is to explain to him that when playing a "War game" the goal is to design a plan or strategy that takes advantage of your own strengts, but exploits the weaknesses of your enemy. Suggest he starts to look at his own book and abuses the rules within it. That he finds those strengths and plays to them, just as you are doing with your own army. Make educated suggestions on his army list. This will help defuse that hostile tension that builds up when someone feels you're trying to cheat them, and poses insight on why things turned out the way they did. Ever play the game League of Legends? Winning your lane in that game isn't so much knowing how you exploit your characters strengths, but knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your opponent.

Second Option , cater to him a bit. Help him have a fighting chance. Treat him like a new, bad player. I hate those guys who bring the tournament lists to the store every weekend only to go undefeated. I brought 40 death company in 5th edition for a reason! Because they're fun! Not because they win! Now, this may renforce his behavior a bit, but if you enjoy playing with him it'll help solve the problem.

Third Option depending on how much your area dislikes him, write the cheesiest lists you can. I played against this guy once with my Orks. Told me that every move I made was illegal, yet I could back it up with the rule book. He wound up winning the game. Well, technically it was a draw, but he refused to admit that my Warboss could contest an objective. From that day on I would bring Chaos or Blood Angels with me every time I went to play, just to see him, just to play him, just to watch him complain about how "Plauge Marines are too strong... they shouldn't get T5 AND Feel no Pain!" or "Blood Angels are just full of cheese! You can't take 4 Predators! And Assault Cannons are an illegal load on them!" Makes me smile every time...

Fourth Option is to stop playing with him all together. You go to play Warhammer ultimatly to have fun. There is no reason for you to get all stressed because some kid (use the word losely, we're on the internet) is freaking out over what the rule book says. I had to do this with one kid, and one kid only... Everyone else I could tollerate, but this kid was just beyond anything I witnessed before. In time this guy will start to learn that his behavior is toxic and no one wants to be around him. He will either shape up, or find a new store to play at.

Hopefully this works out for you. I hate to see people lose opponents in their area, but I can't stand watching people complain about unfair rules either. I have a feeling that you're gonna tell me this cat plays Grey Knights as well!

Inquisition actually and now chaos demons.

In this game I agreed to play against a cherry picked Chaos, Demons, Orcs list with no FOC slot restrictions at 3000 points. I was winning comfortably till I threw the game in.

Its great that you all take the time to reply thanks. I have only 2-3 players in my area and regularly drive 180 kms away to play in larger groups which I enjoy immensely. I dont have a FLGS or anyone of authority in the area, sometimes its frustrating.

Archived