Choosing a Horus Heresy Legion

The World Eaters, because a) as someone's already mentioned, they're a different force in 30K than they are in 40K, and b ) I can't abide the thought of a force not loyal to the Red Angel or the Blood God.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I'm gone a week or so because of illness and I get more great responses and a whole new look to Bolter and Chainsword. I still haven't really decided. With each book of the Horus Heresy I read, my mind changes again and again. I've just finished the Dark Angels book, so with the new codex, I'm now leaning towards Dark Angels. I hope Forgeworld does a better job at making the Dark Angels a fun and interesting army.

I'm on the fence between Ultramarines and World Eaters if I eventually decide to do it.

The World Eaters would be a joy to model with all the ridiculous over the top blood and gore effects. The Ultramarines appeal to me because of their stalwart professionalism and the Roman styling cues.

Just a question, but why stick with one Legion?

Note that the Expedition Fleets weren't always so...well..."single-Legioned". It's very possible that certain fleets had elements of multiple Legions in it.

You could do a force which had World Eater/Blood Angel/Space Wolf assault units, Raven Guard/Alpha Legion infiltrators, Death Guard/Iron Hands destroyer squads and Tactical Squads from the Ultramarines/Sons of Horus.

You'd need to create a commander figure from one of the more "dominant" Legions, or maybe not even, just make sure that in the story he's a respected figure. According the The First Heretic there was this Ultramarines captain who was highly respected amongst the other Legions, that he was given a lot of independence. But the same could perhaps be said of a Terran Iron Warrior who isn't that bitter.

@HaydenGray

I know it's a dream, but oh what a dream to have.

@malika666

That is an interesting idea. You could take the command and special legion specific units for the "dominant" force. The only problem I see with this idea is that I don't see some of these legions coming together after the events of the first Horus Heresy book. That is unless Forgeworld continues to make a loyal and traitor section for each legion that sided with Horus.

Unless you make a force that consists primarily of Traitors or primarily of Loyalists. So a Loyalist force would for example be:

-Ultramarines tactical squads

-Iron Hands destroyer squads

-Blood Angels assault squads

-Imperial Fist breachers

-Raven Guard seekers

-White scars bikes

-Space Wolves support

The traitors could be:

-Sons of Horus command and tactical squads

-World Eaters assault squads

-Death Guard terminators

-Emperor's Children jetbikes

-Iron Warriors breachers

-etc.

Another idea might be to mix them and keep them as it is. Not all marines stuck with their factions, there have been Loyalists Death Guard and World Eaters as well for example...

Having multiple Legions in one army without limitations would be a bit off really as they will each have different special rules. Perhaps as a one of scenario or something like that. There is an table for choosing allies and you could easily have a few HQ+2 Troop groups you could pick and choose (I think that's what I might be doing)

I came terminally close to revising (retrograding?) my Night Lords Second Grand Company to represent Knightmare and his men as they were near the end of the Crusade, but a need for variety and change has guided me into another direction.

I also admit a Pre Heresy Dark Angels army in Rogue Trader black with red crossed my mind briefly. If for no reason then the nostalgia factor.

As of this moment, I'm leaning towards Death Guard, but I think I'll give the release of one more book to truly decide. If the next Horus Heresy book is as rich and well put together as Betrayal, then I may research all the legions and pick one that I truly love all aspects of and wait for their release. In the meantime, I'll just collect the jo blow units like tactical squads and such.

Im going as main force either SoH or WE and the other as part of that force so a mix of them + some NL as they are awersome! might be a squad of Iron warriors too? Cant deside either.. but im primarily Loyal in the Heresy so.. :/ though one this.. hahaha biggrin.png Love Lunar wolfs and Loken.. Love Khârn and the WE but white is hard to get the white right.. and well NL rocks.. tongue.png Blaster ADB for beeing so bloody good storyteller and inspiering!! haha

So a mixed Loyalist force of the 3 id guess..

The whole "we stand on the edge of perfection and damnation, one is but a borrowed memory away" bit is epic, we are the ultimate in nobility we know a beast inside that even our brothers the Space Wolfs fear yet we seek to hold it inside even in battle for the good of the humanity we protect

/ramble

FTFY

SW we are the ultimate in nobility we know a beast inside that even our brothers the Blood Angels fear yet we seek to hold it inside even in battle for the good of the humanity we protect...

Also death guard are the coolest pre-heresy legion and I'm tempted to go traitor...

@PensacolaWarhammer Good call on death guard, they're pretty awesome and theres a rumor that Mortarion is being released this month, i really hope its true as it be an awesome kick start to my DG.

Also i agree, i hope the next book is as well written as the first, dropsite massacre was one of the coolest parts of the heresy IMO

There is so many I'd love to do for so many different reasons:

Death Guard - sheer determination to refuse to give up and whether the storm of the enemy

Ultramarines - Calth veterans (but my brother wants them so I'd release them)
Salamanders - as previously noted they're the paragons of humanity but I have a sizable army of them in 40K so null really.
Luna Wolves - Loken company (what can I say I like cliches) :P

Alpha Legion - cause with the rulebook you can actually field a darn good version of them (finally I might add). And I've always loved the Alpha Legion but never been able to truly field them realistically until now.

I think in the end I would probably say Alpha Legion honestly, their history of being the last to be found very late in the great crusade, and always trying to prove themselves. And being a pain in the arse of the Ultramarines. And being able to destroy a world with a single marine is just awesome.

I think my order will be:
Alpha Legion
Death Guard (although not a fan of the symbol I admit)
Luna Wolves (never Sons of Horus just saying)

Archived