Expunged for Being Pacifists?

Emperor's Furor

Ever since the Badab War books I have often toyed around with the idea that the Space Sharks are descendants of the Legions that were expunged from the Imperial record. Marines who have existed outside the realms of humanity and 'normalcy' for the majority of the Imperium. A force of Marines that could be considered 'alien' in their conduct but still affiliated (however loosely) with the Imperium of Mankind. The Lost Legions need not be purely a chaotic force or what have you but I personally believe they were included in 2nd edition listings to give a player the freedom to create a chapter/legion with their own background, heraldry, name and culture. A force that isnt reliant upon a archetype of geneseed and tradition. While there are a 1000 Chapters to 'choose' from that doesn't necessarily mean that a player should have to choose to be from one of these stalwarts (or not) of the Imperium and would like to play something that exists outside the realms of Man and Chaos without the simple trappings of 'renegade' (such as several editions worth of eye-rollable Hurin the Pirate fluff). I could see some indeed embrace the trappings of the outcast who is outside the boundaries of the Imperium yet not renegade. Simply mysterious and unknown.

edit: oops, mistake

How does that last sentence imply that it was a warning for Horus' betrayal? It could be a warning for just about anything. The quote does not say. It does not even imply. It simply postulates that maybe what happened to the primarchs should serve as a warning. But a warning for what? Not to meddle with chaos? Not to force your sons to do something they don't really want to do? Not to leave primarchs unattended to run the Great Crusade? Not to let primarchs eat split pea soup?

I did say, "could possibly". The two legions were left out for all the DIY's out there way back when, which is fine. They'll forever be a story hook with no concrete info. So unless all the DIY legions from back then were pacifists, the answer to this thread is no. I know that my Desert Fox Legion were violent as all get out (and brown, tan, and horribly painted...)

The quote does not say anything about what happened to them....only that they were separate tragedies (but tragedies to whom?). We should be really careful about taking what tidbits the BL authors throw us as hooks too far.

My point was simply that if a statue was erected for them, to honor them amongst their brothers. The tragedy probably wasn't them being basket weavers or tree huggers.

I agree and I disagree. We do "know" some things. We know that the lost legions were left out of the fluff by GW in order for hobbyists to create diy legions and fluff. This is quite clearly stated in the early incarnations of the game and universe.

Are you so sure about that?

Yeah, I'm pretty certain Rick Priestley or Jervis Johnson said something precisely to that effect when asked about it. The source, however, I am uncertain about. It's obviously not in Rogue Trader. At the same time, has GW ever said anything to the contrary? I.e. have they ever said, no hobbyist may do the lost legions? No! They haven't even said that people aren't supposed to talk about them. That's just a literary hook in the BL novels. The primarchs have been directed by the Emperor not to talk about them....but depending on who/when/where you're talking about they weren't supposed to look into the warp either, or worship Big E for that matter. The directive applies in universe at a particular juncture in time. Out of universe the only people giving directives about what can and cannot be done with the lost legion are 40K fans and hobbyists.

My point was simply that if a statue was erected for them, to honor them amongst their brothers. The tragedy probably wasn't them being basket weavers or tree huggers.

The tragedy could be anything. Walking away from the service to the Emperor would be tragedy enough. The potential reasons for doing so are endless and include harboring basket weaving tendencies or having an inexplicable obsession to hug trees. Ultimately the tragedy would be that a primarch no longer participated and no longer stood amongst his brothers.

Hm... well, it has been suggested that at least one of those two tragedies might've been a precursor to Horus' treachery, while their names being removed from all records supposedly being a blessing. Granted, the Emperor's Mercy (in M41 at least) is being put out of your mistery, but even so.

What if one of those legions did indeed turn traitor before Horus got his ideas, but was somehow saw the mistake of their actions and asked the Emperor for forgiveness? The blessing of having their names expunged would mean that they wouldn't be held up as an example of evil like the traitor legions are. On the other hand, his Mercy would mean that the legion(s) would be purged as well. It'd also fit with the Emperor trying to turn Horus back to his side on that ship.

It would, if anything, sound somewhat plausible.

Archived