In terms of fluff, what's a loganwing?

skeletoro

So, I've been thinking about eventually adding some more wolf guard units to my army, so that I can field a loganwing when I feel like it.

But this has gotten me thinking. When Logan goes into battle surrounded only (or mostly) by wolf guard (assuming this even happens), are they all wolf guard from his great company? How many wolf guard does Grimnar even have? Or would it be more likely that any "Loganwing" would have to represent the Logan's own wolf guard as well as the wolf guard of several other wolf lords?

I'm trying to decide whether the whole loganwing should be painted with Logan's heraldry, or mixed heraldry.

There may not be a definitive answer to this, but in any event, I'm interested in your thoughts.

Logistically speaking, I think a Loganwing would be comprised of several wolf lords' companies, as well as his own personal company. I don't think the Great Wolf heraldry would ever be used outside of priests/dreads. Sadly, the designers of Arjac contradict this belief. Whatever the case, imo TWTSTS heraldry would be under-represented.

In fluff terms I don't think a Logan wing exists as space wolves would never use that dark angel terminology. But that a side the wolf guard would all be from his great company. As each great company is a militarily separate enity

They represent the space wolves who have been promoted to logans great company

See, 2 very different understandings! Both seem quite possible to me.

Though I thought Logan's company WOULD use the great wolf heraldry. He does have a full company, right? The codex seems to suggest that he has one (I think in Grimnar's entry it says that there's a lot of competition within his company for warriors to get into his wolf guard). Wulfe, are you suggesting that Logan's company should be using his old pre-great wolf heraldry?

But even still, how many wolf guard would the typical lord have? Surely not the 20+ that you'd find in a loganwing list?

I'm from the era of the hobby where the great wolf's company only housed the priests/dreads/scouts. (circa 2E) It was also when WG were limited to 20 max. as though that was the limiting number set for wolf lords' retinues.

Nowadays, that structure has been redone, but never made as clean-cut and indisputable as the former edition, so I just cling to the old version.

i believe the members of logans great company (not the company of the great wolf housing all the dreads etc) has the option to temporarely take on the sigil of the wolf that stalks the stars? could be wrong though

I do kinda like the idea of doing a mixed company army. My thunderlord and cav, plus one wolf guard pack and another pack or 2, could be Harald Deathwolf and friends. Some more wolf guard and grey hunters could be Ragnar's (that way I get to have fun with the forgeworld shoulder pads, which have Ragnar's heraldry on them). And then the rest could be Logan's.

i believe the members of logans great company (not the company of the great wolf housing all the dreads etc) has the option to temporarely take on the sigil of the wolf that stalks the stars? could be wrong though

That's correct, hendrik, the GC of the Wolf Lord that is elected to become the Great Wolf will change their heraldry to TWTSBTS, but will often keep remnants of their old heraldry, as well (on a knee pad, for example). I'll try and find the quote for this.

Logan's GC now consists of all of the Priests and Dreads (which always belong to the household of the Great Wolf, as well as all of those Packs that he already led when he was elected from his original GC (and in Logan's case any new packs assigned to him over the past 500 years since he became the Great Wolf). We know that he has the largest of the GCs (Ragnar's is next), and that he has over 200 Marines (how much more than 200 is a matter of some debate).

It stands to reason that he'd have more Wolf Guard than the average Lord, since he has more of everything, but we should also remember that the Wolf Guard are the pack-mates of a Wolf Lord, so it is unlikely that he'd have enough to fill out a force as large as a "Loganwing" army list would allow.

As far as I know, there is nothing in the fluff to justify the Loganwing formation, and Space Wolves wouldn't normally fight with just a slice of the GC like this. When our recent codex came out, this fact caused quite a bit of consternation with Dark Angels players, who previously were the only ones able to field an all TDA force, and whose Deathwing fluff did back this up.

Valerian

I'm pretty sure that they would have mixed heraldry - after all it's stated that in our current codex that Logan only has a handful of Wolf Guard, so it stands that a full 'Loganwing' would be made up of the Wolf Guard from at least 1 other company, and potentially (if we're looking at 80+ Wolf Guard) the entire chapter.

Here we go:

"In addition to the Great Companies there is the household of the Great Wolf himself, within whose walls dwell the Chapter's priests and Dreadnoughts. The emblem of the Great Wolf's company is always the wolf rampant, the wolf that stalks the stars; the emblem of Russ himself. When a new Great Wolf is elected his followers from his Great Company will either replace their old insignia with the sign of the Wolf Rampant, or add the sign to the their armor so that they bear both their old sign and their new one. The current Great Wolf is Logan Grimnar, one of the Imperium's longest serving warriors. This cunning and fierce warlord has led the Space Wolves for over five centuries."

White dwarf 246.

V

In fluff terms I don't think a Logan wing exists as space wolves would never use that dark angel terminology. But that a side the wolf guard would all be from his great company. As each great company is a militarily separate enity

They represent the space wolves who have been promoted to logans great company

Aye, I shy away from the term itself, as imho takes away from the culture/fluff of fenris and the wolves. I simply just call them húskarls. Logan wing, the name itself lacks imagination and feels just lazy. I cringe when people use that term.. it's promoting stuff like "wolf this, wolf that, and blood this, blood that, or dark this and dark that." ;) :lol:

I agree with Maverik on this one. I prefer not to use "Logan Wing" or "Wolf Wing" etc. It's wrong on so many levels.

I seem to remember a discussion that took place a while ago (around when the new codex came out) where there was a consensus about a term that was a bit more accurate and didn't pay homage to the dress-wearing emo-boys.

To answer the question, I don't think there is a back-story justification for an army that is comprised entirely of Wolf Guard. I believe that the idea behind Logan's rule is that when he uses wolf guard he manipulates the force organization chart.

SWLars

To answer the question, I don't think there is a back-story justification for an army that is comprised entirely of Wolf Guard. I believe that the idea behind Logan's rule is that when he uses wolf guard he manipulates the force organization chart.

SWLars

There are quite a few things that manipulate the force org charts aren't there.

I feel this is a nonissue because this force will be weak against any army with enough ap2.

Same with the blood angels dreadnaught lists, if your opponent has enough melta fire then your dead.

These kinds of lists are only ever meant to inject a little bit of fun into an otherwise desolate landscape of ML spam.

As far as backstory goes, can you not envisage a time when Logan might need to take only his most elite force strait into the maw of a deadly force?

GS

Ah cool, some good insights.

I use the term Loganwing in a tongue-in-cheek, meta manner. Of course wolves wouldn't use this terminology.

I think that you could justify the use of a purely wolf guard force, though. Perhaps Logan and a few other lords, plus their wolf guards, are at the head of a larger combined force?

I think that you could justify the use of a purely wolf guard force, though. Perhaps Logan and a few other lords, plus their wolf guards, are at the head of a larger combined force?

This...

IMO this would be the most likely senario for an all Wolf Guard force fluff wise. Logan and 2-3 other Wolf Lords leading their entourages and spear heading an all out Shock and Awe upon the enemy. May the Emperor be praised....the sight would be glorious :D

Archived