Jump Packs of the Horus Heresy

Cmdr Shepard

Greetings fellow Legionaries,

I'm planning to build a large Legion Assault Squad and I'm wondering if I could use add different minis to the MK2 and MK4 assault squads kits I decided to buy ( I can buy the MK5 as well but I'm not a huge fan of that pattern)

I want to make every model in the unit to look different from the others so I thought about adding some plastic assault marine (with the proper heresy pattern bolt pistols and legion symbols, of course)

The only problem is the plastic Assault Marine come with a very different Jump Pack pattern. Do you think they will look "out of place" in a HH army?

It seems the Jump Packs of the Sanguinary Guard resemble the MK4 jump packs.

I thought to use 5 Legion MK2, 5 MK4, 5 from Sanguinary Guard and 5 standard assault marines for my unit (the last two set with a fair amount of modifications)

What do you think?

Thank You for your assistance.

I would say yes and just blame it on an improvised mark. That way you can get some Mk V(as Mk V was "anything that wasn't Mk II-IV)in there. ;)

That's a good point.

If I'm not mistaken the "common" jump pack pattern we see in most GW plastic line is related to MK6 design, so it still has some "heresy connection". Since I plan to mix helmets, shoulder pads and weapons they can look like some custom made MK5 :)

EDIT:

What do you think about the use of the Sanguinary Guard armour? I'd like to not buy the kit just for the jump packs ;)

That and the "current" jump packs are also on the cover of Fulgrim if I'm not mistake.

Hmm, Sanguinary Guard armor, well the unit existed in the Heresy and IIRC, they did wear golden armor, but I don't know if it was stylized or not. I almost want to say go for it but I'm not too sure.

That and the "current" jump packs are also on the cover of Fulgrim if I'm not mistake.

Hmm, Sanguinary Guard armor, well the unit existed in the Heresy and IIRC, they did wear golden armor, but I don't know if it was stylized or not. I almost want to say go for it but I'm not too sure.

The armour is quite detailed (it's artificer armour, after all). There are a couple of them that don't look as good as the others in the same kit. I can cut the drops of blood and the chalices icons, add heresy helmets and should pads. Heresy patterns bolt pistols (Tigrus, Umbra or Phobos) should complete to conversion...

Oh sorry. I meant their description in Fear to Tread. I don't remember how detailed their appearance was, I just remember golden armor. Although IIRC, blood drops and chalices were a heavy ornamentation theme even back then according to that book.

Oh sorry. I meant their description in Fear to Tread. I don't remember how detailed their appearance was, I just remember golden armor. Although IIRC, blood drops and chalices were a heavy ornamentation theme even back then according to that book.

I plan to field the assault squad as part of Sons of Horus army, so maybe removing the Blood Angels iconography may lead to a more accurate look.

I don't dislike them. They give the armour a "decorated" look perfect for sergeants and special weapons Space Marines, who should stand a part from the rest of the squad.

Mix and match jump packs to your hearts content. The Legions were on permenant crusade and were rarely pulled off the line to reorganise, especially in aggressive legions like the SoH, Space Wolves or White Scars. It's entirely likely that Legions were resupplied with wildly varying marks of jump packs, bolters, heavy weapons etc that all thankfully accepted the same logistics chain.

If your looking for different close combat weapons at all, the space wolf double edged ones and the chaos double edged ones look fine i've used both at some stage on one of my heresy assault marines.

Also If you pose them differently it makes them look different aswell, i have a few jumping and a few standing it makes a subtle distance.

My final point is the hair top nots, I am using top nots on all my Sons of Horus, if you intend to do something similar then you can use several different top nots to add variety, my most common is the ork ones, but there are a few odd ones like the space wolf ones and I believe there are some high elf ones!

Mix and match jump packs to your hearts content. The Legions were on permenant crusade and were rarely pulled off the line to reorganise, especially in aggressive legions like the SoH, Space Wolves or White Scars. It's entirely likely that Legions were resupplied with wildly varying marks of jump packs, bolters, heavy weapons etc that all thankfully accepted the same logistics chain.

I really like the mixed patterns look since it visualizes the concept of the "veterans of countless battles on countless planets"

Where are you going to get all the bolt pistols?

The FW kits come with their own pistol, the SM character conversion set (wich I have) contains 5 umbra pistols while the Legion MK4 weapons kit (which I plan to buy soon) contains 4 tigrus pistols.

If you want them to look unique then my best advice is to take a knife to them and make a few conversions. Just hange h position of a few arms and hey will look different

I already did it for the models I already assembled :)

I cut and replaced hands, weapons and even magazines. I'm about to complete a custom made rampagers squad with 3 Caedere weapons converted from various kits. Then I read FW will release the kit soon. Well at least I get something unique ;)

Ive used some converted Plastic Raptor Jump packs, they fit nicely.

Nice World Eaters Assault Marine. Raptors kit was another of the options I was thinking about especially for acquiring more chainswords and pistols. Amazing kit for conversions.

If your looking for different close combat weapons at all, the space wolf double edged ones and the chaos double edged ones look fine i've used both at some stage on one of my heresy assault marines.

Also If you pose them differently it makes them look different aswell, i have a few jumping and a few standing it makes a subtle distance.

My final point is the hair top nots, I am using top nots on all my Sons of Horus, if you intend to do something similar then you can use several different top nots to add variety, my most common is the ork ones, but there are a few odd ones like the space wolf ones and I believe there are some high elf ones!

I have a good number of SW weapons. I also had a lot of Chaos ones but I used most of them for my CSM conversions. I can acquire more of them buying the Raptors kit: as I said wonderful kit for conversions.

I have many "hair top nots" I'm reserving for my Sons of Horus. I also have several top nots from the Warriors of Chaos kits. ;)

Don't forget you can use those HUGE stockpiles of Godwyn pattern bolters we all seem to have. Pretty much every bit of kit modern Marines use, bar Mk.7 and mk.8 armour and recent innovations like the Storm speeder etc, dates from the Great Crusade/Horus Heresy. There's little stopping any of us from using our massive bits piles to augment our supplies of pistols and other small arms.

Don't forget you can use those HUGE stockpiles of Godwyn pattern bolters we all seem to have. Pretty much every bit of kit modern Marines use, bar Mk.7 and mk.8 armour and recent innovations like the Storm speeder etc, dates from the Great Crusade/Horus Heresy. There's little stopping any of us from using our massive bits piles to augment our supplies of pistols and other small arms.

Technically the MK7 was developed near the end of the Heresy, if I'm not mistaken, and the presence of the MK8 can represent a modified version of an armour pattern in order to increase "neck protection" ;)

I used the Godwyn bolters for a tactical squad but I added the chain bayonets from the Umbra Ferrox bolter kit. :tu:

I snuck in a few of those kneeling mk.6 legs. My justification is that the Marine in question either modified his mk.4 or is trialing what would eventually become mk.6. Honestly, beyond the obvious exclusion of 7 and 8 ( for early/mid Heresy or mid/late Great Crusade ) there's little reason to not use parts from our bitz boxes or even use existing plastic kits for utilitarian vehicles like Predators or Rhinos. Same again with jump packs, heavy weapons, small arms or even some character models.

I'm rambling :<

I snuck in a few of those kneeling mk.6 legs. My justification is that the Marine in question either modified his mk.4 or is trialing what would eventually become mk.6. Honestly, beyond the obvious exclusion of 7 and 8 ( for early/mid Heresy or mid/late Great Crusade ) there's little reason to not use parts from our bitz boxes or even use existing plastic kits for utilitarian vehicles like Predators or Rhinos. Same again with jump packs, heavy weapons, small arms or even some character models.

I'm rambling :<

True. I think the use of parts from out bitz boxes can be a wonderful way to "customize" our armies. The Heresy versions of Rhinos and Predators look great but the plastic kits will allow us to save some money for other cool FW stuff ;)

Even though I must admit the FW predators are very alluring. With the recent price increase for GW vehicles now I pay a FW predator about 10/12€ more then the pastic kit. The pastic kit is obviously still cheaper but I's starting to think 10€ are a fair price for the increased coolness of the FW predators ;)

For Rhinos I would suggest the plastic kits since you will have to buy a good number of them if you decided to mech up your army.

Archived