Heldrake or hellblade

Hi guys, price wise both models are near enough the same, I prefer the blades look to the drake, but does anyone know how it plays, or should I use is as a counts as drake?

I was also thinking of converting a drake using the drake wings and the storm talon cockpit/engines. What do you reckon I shoul do?

What does a hell talon do?

As he said, its an AV 10 flyers with 2 Reaper Autocannons, essentially it's a flying rifleman dreadnought. They're decent at air-to-air combat, since S7 is often strong enough to take down flyers, also they're okay at killing light vehicles. The problem is that the Helldrake is just as effective at killing air targets (on average causing 3 S7 hits, same as the Talon), but it also has all the other bonuses.

Hell talon is similar to Hell blade, except that it also has Twinlinked Lascannon and about eight bombs.

I would still go for Helldrake. Its like 40points more, but its template weapon, vector strike, and much better durability is worth the cost.

That's the Hellblade fighter, I asked about the Helltalon bomber ;)

I agree the Drake is better that the Blade tho, which is a shame as I much prefer the look of the blade

Ah, my mistake, I always get them mixed up. The bomber is best for anti-infantry, the problem is that they're not as good as the Heldrake in the same role. The bombs are nice with a Lascannon and reaper they're good for hunting air, but overall the drake is just going to be more useful and survivable. It's really a shame though, because like you, I love the look of it.

I was also thinking of converting a drake using the drake wings and the storm talon cockpit/engines. What do you reckon I shoul do?

I found this when i was looking for Drake conversions. And this is what i think GW should have made it look in the first place, and it is what my future Drake will look like:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.p...on-the-Heldrake

Helltalon= FW crap resin=don't go near it even 50 miles=money throw in the sewers.

Seriously, if you want to take the risk to pay 60£ for a bend/holed resin model, then give this money to honnos or poor people, they will gladly take it, and you would have done something good.

Ordered 5 items to FW, got 4 defaults, send the defaults back, got 3 defaults this time..., this little thing lasted 6 months, had to convert/repair the :woot: out of those models.

This is why i always sratchbuild/kitbash FW models from GW models, the only thing i still buy at FW are etched brasses...

PLus like said, For the same slot, the Helldrake is superior, deamon machine with all the good rules that come in the package, 12 av and vector strikes.

Helltalon= FW crap resin=don't go near it even 50 miles=money throw in the sewers.

Ordered 5 items to FW, got 4 defaults, send the defaults back, got 3 defaults this time..., this little thing lasted 6 months, had to convert/repair the :D out of those models.

Well, and I thought I have a negative experience with FW.... The thing is, their vehicle kits are really bad, even in Imerial Armour Aeronautica on the photo of Storm Eagle it is bent. But their smaller kits are just mindbogglingly awesome, like Decimator, or preachers of Nurgle, or rogue psykers, they're done with soft and flexible resin, without a single bubble, without a single defect. And Hell Blade is just 2 pieces kit, unlike Hell Talon it's quite good.

Back on topic, Hell Talon originally was made for Apocalypse games, it had bombs with Apocalyptic Barrage templates, and could drop as many as you want in single turn. That was really cool. Now you can buy those bombs separately for Apocalypse games, but basic model is no good for normal 40k games, but you still can use it if you bought it for Apocalypse.

Hell Blade and Helldrake basically have different roles in your game. Hell Blade is awesome interceptor, with 4 twin-linked autocannon shots they are way cheaper and way more agile than havocs with flakk missles. And Helldrake is ground attack aircraft basically, baleflamer is always better option than hades, vector strike is the only thing he can do against other flyers and it's still only D3 attacks.

So if you're facing BA or GK or other Chaos - Hell Blade is still viable option since you can drop his flyers out of the sky, and even if they will drop your flyer - it's cheaper.

Hell Blade and Helldrake basically have different roles in your game. Hell Blade is awesome interceptor, with 4 twin-linked autocannon shots they are way cheaper and way more agile than havocs with flakk missles. And Helldrake is ground attack aircraft basically, baleflamer is always better option than hades, vector strike is the only thing he can do against other flyers and it's still only D3 attacks.

I hadn't considered the cost of a Hell Blade versus Flakk Havocs; that is a good point. I'm still inclined to give the Heldrake the capabilities advantage since it's dual purpose. The vector strike is also d3+1, so you're guaranteed at least 2 S7 auto-hits on the side armour, and you're going to hit 3 times or more 2/3 of the time and never risk completely missing from bad die rolls. Twin-linked BS3 from the Reapers should get you 3 out of 4 hits on average, which isn't as good IMO. The Hell Blade can strike from range, which is an edge over the Vector Strike, but the Heldrake can target two units per turn, which I think is much more useful over all. It can intercept flyers and attack ground targets, which is way more useful when planning a high speed run across the table.

I wish the Hell Talon had stayed in the Heavy Support slot. It would have been nice to run a flying daemon prince in HQ, Heldrakes in FA, and Hell Talons in HS. I want to work up a CSM based "flying circus" list. There's a guy in my FLGS who does it with the Daemons codex, and he gives everybody hella trouble.

Archived