Grimnar + PE + Allies

L30n1d4s

Now I know Logan Grimnar's "The High King" ability has been FAQed to only affect C: SW units, but follow this logic and tell me if it makes sense:

1 - Logan can grant himself Preferred Enemy because he is a C: SW model and he has "The High King" special rule

2 - Logan is an IC and so can join any allied unit that is a Battle Brother

3 - The "Preferred Enemy" USR is granted to an entire unit as long it contains at least one model with the PE USR (BGB pg40)

4 - When Logan is attached to an allied unit and grants himself "Preferred Enemy," he is in essence granting the entire unit Preferred Enemy.

Does this logic make sense? I know it may be a case of RAW vice RAI, but I think it is legal.

Imagine Logan attaching himself to a unit of 10 TH/SS Termies and a TDA Libby with Gates of Infinity/Null Zone... the whole unit would have ATSKNF, Counterattack, Stubborn, Preferred Enemy (everything), and could move up to 24" each turn and force enemy to re-roll all successful Invul saves... sounds like a deathstar unit to me :lol: Even Paladins would have to look out for that one ;)

No.

By default, the High King rule already applies to Grimnar (and the unit he joins). By restricting it to only work on SW units is the entire point of FAQing it to deny it to allies. It's the same as BA priests not bestowing fnp to allies because it only works on BA models regardless that the priest has it.

"
The High King

you may choose one of the following special rules at the beginning of each turn:

Fearless, Tank Hunters, Relentless, Preferred Enemy

Logan and any unit he is with have that rule for the duration of that player turn.
", C:SW,
Pg

"
Page 56 – Logan Grimnar, The High King.

Change the last sentence to read: “Logan and any unit from Codex: Space Wolves that he has joined have that rule for the

duration of the player turn."
", C:SW
FAQ

"
Preferred Enemy

A unit that contains at least one model with this this special rule re-rolls failed To Hit and To Wound rolls of 1 if attacking its Preferred Enemy. This applies to both Shooting and Close Combat attacks.
", BRB,
Pg

So L.G. can give himself and his Space Wolf unit Preferred enemy. If L.G. were in a unit of, say, Imperial Guard - he could only give himself Preferred Enemy. However, only one model needs Preferred Enemy for the unit to benefit, so L.G. in an Imperial Guard blob squad would allow re-rolls To Hit and To Wound for all the Guardsmen even though they do not, themselves, have P.E..

So, yep, that's how it works. It also works for Fearless and Tank Hunters, but not Relentless.

Unfortunately with how the wording is for C:SW you can't give the rule to other units because it specifically states that he can only bestow it on units from C:SW.

Fortunately, three of the four USRs don't require that Logan "give" it to anyone.

"
Fearless

Units
containing one or more models
with the Fearless special rule...
", BRB,
Pg

Preferred Enemy

...A unit that
contains at least one model
with this special rule re-rolls...
", BRB,
Pg

Tank Hunters

A unit that
contains at least one model
with this special rule re-rolls...
", BRB,
Pg

So, no, Logan can't give the other (non-Space Wolves) models in the unit the special rule. However, he has the rule and as he is part of the unit therefore the unit as a whole benefits from the USR.

Archived