SW companies...

MajorMirth

I'm looking at playing Space Wolves, but I've hit a bit of a snag and would like some advice. The problem is their company compositions...

I'm trying to figure out what great company to play. I know I'd like to have an all terminator army at some point, and that requires Logan Grimnar. Now I guess my options are as follows:

1) Make all the terminators in my army have Logan Grimnar's markings. Problem with this is if I play grey hunters, should they all have Logan's mark as well?

2) Make everything with Ragnar Blackmane's markings and then just add in Logan with his own markings?

3) Give everything (terminators and grey hunters) Logan's markings and make Ragnar the odd man out when I use him?

As you can see, I'm not sure which great company markings to give to my army. I don't think other chapters like Ultramarines have this problem, and I'm trying to get some advice as how to make a coherent Space Wolf army that won't have markings from all kinds of great companies mashed together.

Maybe I should just be playing Ultramarines?! Help!

1) Make all the terminators in my army have Logan Grimnar's markings. Problem with this is if I play grey hunters, should they all have Logan's mark as well?

Grey Hunters are the standard marines for space wolves and yes Logan's company does comprise of many Grey Hunters.

2) Make everything with Ragnar Blackmane's markings and then just add in Logan with his own markings?

This is an option for sure, but not necessary based on answer to question 1.

3) Give everything (terminators and grey hunters) Logan's markings and make Ragnar the odd man out when I use him?

This is another option, the point here is you can't really go wrong with how you design and build your army. By the time you have all your models painted and ready for company markings you should have a better grasp on Space Wolves as a whole.

As you can see, I'm not sure which great company markings to give to my army. I don't think other chapters like Ultramarines have this problem, and I'm trying to get some advice as how to make a coherent Space Wolf army that won't have markings from all kinds of great companies mashed together.

With Logan it would be very plausible that he lead a multi-conglomeration of companies as he is our Great Wolf and if that is what he asks for, more than likely the other wolf lords would "lend" him the units he needs to accomplish his objectives.

Maybe I should just be playing Ultramarines?! Help!

Now that just plain Heresy

Really the easy answer is to just use whatever company you want and have Ragnar and Logan as counts-as homemade Characters. Instead of Great Wolf Logan Grimnar you field Wolf Lord Grimfang Ironfist and his Ironfist Great Company, and Ragnar Blackmane is the Company Wolf Guard Champion (Battle Leader) Stigvald Orkbane.

With the sheer number of Battle Leaders, Champions, Wolf Guard and Priests in the Chapter there is plenty of room in the Chapter organization to play any company you want, however you want, and simply use whatever characters you want with a simple name swap. As long as you represent the models appropriately, WYSIWYG, and point that out to your opponents you shouldn't have any problems.

Have a good read over the Great Company pages in the codex. It details the different approaches to warfare of the different companies. Also the fact that all Priests are in effect on loan from the company of the Great Wolf.

As for Wolf Guard. They are chosen by each individual lord so terminators would have your chosen lords markings. As would your hunters, claws, fangs and anything else too.

At the end of the day, it's this flexibility which makes us so different to the codex following smurfs <_<

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

I guess I just like some type of "uniformity" to my army. I think I'll probably make everything Logan Grimnar's markings, and then maybe just play the other special characters like hero's of Logan's army. Is that acceptable with the rules?

Other than that idea, I like the idea of playing all Ragnar Blackmane and having him "lend" his terminators to Logan Grimnar when I want to field my all terminator army! That would work within the rules and fluff as well?

As you build your models and they form your army, you should also take the time and learn the Space Wolf way. Your questions will all be answered and more.

Nice way of saying, "read the fluff man!". ;)

But we will always be here for ya pup.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

I guess I just like some type of "uniformity" to my army. I think I'll probably make everything Logan Grimnar's markings, and then maybe just play the other special characters like hero's of Logan's army. Is that acceptable with the rules?

Yes that is entirely rules acceptable and fluffy.

Other than that idea, I like the idea of playing all Ragnar Blackmane and having him "lend" his terminators to Logan Grimnar when I want to field my all terminator army! That would work within the rules and fluff as well?

That is also rules and fluff acceptable, joint campaigns are common in the 40k background.

Archived