Grey Hunter builds

Kassill

So in 5th the build that I used that seemed to work best for me and others (for all-comers semi-competitive lists) was the...

8-9 man Grey Hunter pack with Melta Gun (WS and MotW depending on points and what you liked) with a Wolf Guard attached with Power Fist and Combi Melta shoved inside either a Rhino or Drop Pod.

Took a brief hiatus after the new book launched and now coming back I'm wondering what the current version of this is or if people are still using it. I'm finding challenges to be tough for my Wolf Guard now as he seems to get diced up before he can swing (or just can't swing if he doesn't accept, and what space wolf doesn't accept a challenge!?)

Thinking about falling back on my old build of 10 man pack with dual plasma guns, wolf standard and mark of the wulfen. Or drop the one PG and toss in a Wolf Guard with a sword for challenges.

I don't know. I feel like I'm rambling now. Let me know what you guys are running. Any and all help appreciated! :cry:

Thinking about falling back on my old build of 10 man pack with dual plasma guns, wolf standard and mark of the wulfen. Or drop the one PG and toss in a Wolf Guard with a sword for challenges.

This sounds fine to me although I wouldnt drop the free plasma gun just for a few combat attacks.

Regarding different GH builds, I have a methodology I apply to my units that has been working fine for me so far. My basic rules of thumb are:

Foot slogging:

full GH pack, 2 specials (plasma), standard, wgpl- terminator axe/sb. This IMO is the optimal build, add additional PWs and/or motw to taste if pts allow, which for me they usually dont. Axe over sword due to 2+/5++ and wolf standard invalidating opposing ap3 CC weapons and striking simultaneously with ap2.

Drop pod:

7-9 GHs, 1 special (almost always melta), standard, wgpl- terminator axe/cbweapon (almost always melta). Here I still prefer the terminator armour to a free special, reason is I get to skimp on models to reduce cost below that of a full pack + DP while still maintaining similar threat and resilience of a full pack of power armoured guys. The one shot combi often doesnt matter because the unit gets dug in pretty quick after getting its initial shot off anyway. Axe as above.

Rhino:

I dont really use rhinos since I feel they fall somewhere between razorbacks and drop pods. Anyway if I did use rhinos then a full pack with 2 specials, hidden axe would be my starting point, motw if pts allowed. Axe again for ap2, +1 attack and lower cost as opposed to the hidden fist.

Razorback:

Here things get diverse, and it depends on how many RBs.

2-3 RBs:

I prefer 6 man packs (wgpl is hit or miss depending on my WG packs design), 1 special weapon (preference for plasma with a single flamer pack for versatility). If a wgpl is present he takes a sword no combi weapon to keep 4 attacks. Sword over axe due to armour 3+. If no wgpl I prefer motw (great for making 6 man packs hit like 8 vs non meq.

4+ RBs:

Here I go less fun more serious business. 5 man packs, 1 special weapon (again preference plas but a mix of flamers too), and thats it. No combat upgrades and in either case no wolf standards on my RBs, these are reserved for larger packs and preferably with TDA.

Footslogging:

10 grey hunters

2x plasma fina

Wolf standard

Mark of the wulfen

-with

Wolf Guard

Terminator armor

Chainfist

Storm bolter

I usually run 3-4 of this kind of unit. Effective against pretty much any opponent, quite resilient and able to hold its ground both in shooting and melee. And not that expensive...

I rock 2 poddding units with melta, motw, ws, pw, wgpl with combimelta, tda and fist

and a footslogging unit with 2plasmas, ws, pw, wgpl with tda, fist, sb, cyclone.

TDA is cheating this edition, you should take it on all your pack leaders and stick them at the front to eat up all the ap3 hits.

One ten-man pack with dual Melta, MotW, Standard, P.Sword, TDAWG Pack Leader (C-Flamer/P.Fist) or Arjac (depending on list size), W.Priest (Runic, WTT, WTK) w/ SotH.

Two eight-man packs with Plasma, MotW, Standard, P.Axe, WG Pack Leader (C-Melta/W.Claw), Rune Priests, Rhinos.

Two five-man packs with Flamers, sometimes R.backs and P.weapons (depending on list size)

Since I'm putting my Rune Priests with my packs in Rhinos and losing the option for a ten-man unit anyway, I always give them a WGPL bodyguard (although I usually just duck them out of challenges anyway).

for 1000 point games

1 10 man GH units in DP, 2PG, 1 PA, WS.

1 9 man GH units in Rhino, 1 MG, 1 PA, WS. With RP HQ

Keeping my RP on a mobile firing platform protected from mind-strike missiles and demons is key here. also need the ability to hold home type objectives.

for 1500 point games

2 10 man GH units in DPs, 2 PG, 1 PA, WS. DP

1 10 man GH units in DP, 2 MG, 1 PA, WS. DP

I find in 1500 point games you have to have some down field strike capacity and 1 DP is not enough. 2 coming in on turn 1 to support each other or hit flanks works well. the 3rd can be dropped where needed even on a home objective.

for 2k point games

1 10 man GH units in DP, 2 PG, 1 PA, WS.

1 8 man GH units in DP, 1 MG, 1 PA, WS. with TDA WG

1 8 man GH units in Rhino, 1 PG, 1 PA, WS. with PA WG and RP HQ

1 10 man GH unit in LRC, 1 flm, 1 MG, 1 PA, WS with Arjac

This is where you can get some diversity, I find that the one pod coming in on turn 1 is a good distraction and keeps my opponents deployment somewhat contained to protect against it. The LRC is fast enough to be able to get down the field and provide support for the first pod and the second can also come in for additional support if needed, while the Rhino protects and hold home objectives.

I'm currently running 4 packs at 1,500 points.

2 10 man with dual plasma guns

2 10 man with dual flamer, standard and drop pod (I have a third pod so can get these down early or hold one back to counter)

Nice to see such variety working for people.

Archived