Thousand Sons Idea

Spaz431

Thousand Sons played through Grey Knights codex. Use of basic rubric marines. Sorcerer lord in terminator armor (draigo). Just thinking out loud let me know if a bad idea or if someone's already thought of it.

This was just an idea that jumped into my head. I'm currently building a NL warband.

Edit Primaris: your answer didn't really give an impression of bad idea, just the redundancy of the better capabilities for chaos sorcerers to use. From a strategic standpoint, does it make sense to try it?

Excessus, May I ask why? Post-heresy I agree, but for pre-heresy?

Provided you limit what you take to what was available then of course...

Quite a few reasons, but mainly this: Most of the legion had little to no sorcerous powers, that is the reason nearly all of them became rubrics. They were not issued force and/or power weapons as standard and stormbolters were definitely not in production at the time, nor did the thousand sons have a generally better bolter-version than other legions at the time. Many that go the GK codex route also buys a lot of scibor stuff and the "egyptian" themed parts that are out there on the net, but the legion was not blinged up like that. They had very much standard marines in MkII/MkIII/MkIV, sure they had small little thingys on their foreheads, but the impressive crests were left to commanders and officers of various sorts.

I think if you want to represent the TS with a non-HH codex the CSM codex works best. Pre-heresy because you can get 20-man squads, powerful sorcerers(lvl3) and can still ally with the spireguard, have acolytes(cultists) running around and so on. "Psychic powers" can be represended by wargear options and modelled after that(most psychic powers are like wargear options anyway, example: MoS squad with Icon of excess = a member of the cult of pavoni gives them speed and endurance in battle, model the icon as a sorcerer). Post heresy because you have rubrics and powerful MoT sorcerers and can ally with daemons, which is basically what the TS are in the 40k universe. A small, heavily splintered legion with is unlikely to have more than two squads of rubrics at the same place at the same time, but swells their ranks with cultists, dark mechanicus and daemonic allies instead.

Archived