where is Sgt Naaman?

kanan

hail fellow Battle-Brothers... something that has been bugging me for a few days since i have had the new codex DA... what happened to Sgt Naaman... he was present in the mini dex we had in both its incarnations around 2000-2007 then in the 4th/5th editon DA codex he was absent... my question is this... is there a place for a master of scouts or a special scout leader and what special rules would he have in our codex if he was present... many thanks in advance and i hope this will be a spirited discussion...

I feel your pain. I was also looking forward to the return of Sergeant Naaman, and a possibility of playing as the Fallen with Cypher. Can't have it all, I guess.

Would've been great for fun games that are less competative, but lets face it, who here would ever take a close combat Scout unit?

Vazzy was this from one of the Imperial Armour books as i have read some DA 40K fiction and havent read of his demise... how feasible is it to use the company master entry and all the relevant wargear to make a Master of scouts?

+++ EDIT +++

Azrael Turnbull... yeah i felt it was a missed opportunity... they brought back Asmodai and gave us a Belial model (which quite frankly was poorly sculpted) to go with the revised entry for him yet no Naaman... i still would want a Master of Scouts and i too feel Cypher should have had an entry in the codex... as i wanted to be able to field Fallen in games... i guess well just have to use the Chaos Marine codex to do it but i wont talk any further on such heresys... but all in all a great codex...

Vazzy was this from one of the Imperial Armour books as i have read some DA 40K fiction and havent read of his demise...

IIRC in the 3rd edition codex they stated he died on Piscina IV. They also made a book about Piscina IV and his death,The Purging of Kadillus. I finished it a few weeks ago and it was a very good read.

As far as I'm aware, although I could be wrong, the Master of the Scouts still wears Power Armour as standard. Only the Veteran Sergeants wear Scout Armour. I can not recall the source of this information, but although I could be wrong, I'm confident this is the case.

As for Naaman's demise, you can read it in the first ever sole Dark Angels codex, or in the Dark Angels novel by Gav Thorpe 'Purging of Kadillus'. It is widely acknowledged that without Naaman's actions during the battle, the Dark Angels would have been defeated by Ghazkull.

Ah, you got there first. ;)

elphilo & Azrael Trunbull thanks for pointing me at the Purging of Kallidus novel by Gav Thorpe... its one of the few DA novels i hadnt read... its a shame though i still wish he had an entry in our codex even if only to speak of that final battle resulting in his death... so you still can take master of scouts in theory... good to know... i still i have a converted model based on the Ultramarine Scout leader however i forget his name now anyways i will simply use him as a scout sgt. instead...

As far as I'm aware, although I could be wrong, the Master of the Scouts still wears Power Armour as standard. Only the Veteran Sergeants wear Scout Armour. I can not recall the source of this information, but although I could be wrong, I'm confident this is the case.

I think you are correct, and Naaman was not a master, simply a Veteran Sergeant. Though I believe it is noted that he had been through the Deathwing.

It would have been nice for an upgrade character somewhere. A new Vet Sergeant to make Scouts more viable (not that they aren't) or even another - maybe to assault marines, which will not see as much action but with a named character upgrade could get that much more play. Then again, it would have also been nice for a Successor chapter SC. Ohwell.

I was about to write something similar and then I saw Vazzys reply. Unfortunately he is dead indeed. His name is recorded in the book containing the names of the chapters heroes (which I cant remember the name of)

Though, in reality, that shouldn't really be a reason to NOT put him in the dex. The battles we wage are by no means constrained to a chronological order. You could certainly play a game that occurred prior to his death. Or short of that, simply call him something else... Eldrad is technically "dead" though he comes back to haunt me when I play Eldar.

You guys do know that Sergeant Naaman was dead long before he appeared in any codex? His demise is nothing new. I agree it's a shame he wasn't included in the new codex.

Archived