HQ Command Squad

Assault-back Kid

Not sure I am reading this correctly, but in the bestiary I am noticing that it says in the heading of command squads and the techmarine...

Codex: Dark Angel, Pg. 94 -96

"For each HQ choice in your army you may include..."

Now I really feel like I am reading this wrong, but it reads to me as though you can take multiple command squads based on this plus a techmarine. I mean to say for example that if you were to take an HQ in terminator armor you can take a techmarine a regular command squad and a deathwing command squad. I'm not seeing where people are limited to the number of command squads they are allowed per HQ choice since the wording is not in the HQ itself but rather in the wording of the command squads. I am really trying to believe that I am reading this wrong and that you may take possibly a techmarine and a command squad of your choosing but not two command squads right? I can't find the contradiction to say otherwise...

Likewise it seems you could take a second HQ on a bike and have 2 techmarines, 2 command squads, 1 deathwing command and 1 ravenwing command.

Feeling rather confused...cry.gif

The way it's worded suggests that you can, in fact, have a Techmarine and multiple Command Squads depending on what HQs you take. If you have, say, Sammael and Belial, you would be able to have two "normal" Command Squads, one Deathwing Command Squad, one Ravenwing Command Squad, and two Techmarines.

In fact, because of the Ravenwing Command Squad entry, if you put the Techmarines on bikes, until FAQ'd or Errata'd out, you could take another Ravenwing Command Squad for each of them, too.

Well Belial and Sammy both unlock two command squads each - one regular and one DW/RW - as well as one techmarine. If you put techmarines on bikes, you can have another two RW commands squads. So in total:

- Two regular command squads (one for each character)

- One DW command squad (for Belial)

- Three RW command squads (one for Sammy, two for techmarines).

10 HQs for two slots?! :) Am I missing soemting here?

Just for the sake of clarification purposes, Techmarines do not unlock Command squads....it says so in the descriptor underneath the Command squad entry in the digital codex....don't know what it says in the print codex.

For each HQ choice in your army (not including Techmarines or Command squads of any type) you may include a Command Squad.....

(emphasis mine)

Also, I would say that use of the word a implies that a single HQ choice allows a single command squad of any type. Anything else would be trying to exploit the rules imo, and would be greeted with a swift whack around the head with the BGB!

:)

facmanpob - true, but it's just for regular command squad, not RW one (DW is moot point as he can't have TDA anyway), at least until GW will FAQ it.

Brother Amarel - I'm not saying is good idea, just it's legal (as far as i can see).

Also, I would say that use of the word a implies that a single HQ choice allows a single command squad of any type. Anything else would be trying to exploit the rules imo, and would be greeted with a swift whack around the head with the BGB!

Ah, but "Command Squad", "Deathwing Command Squad" and "Ravenwing Command Squad" are three different units. Each one of which allows a single squad of that type per appropriate HQ, it's just that Bike or TDA HQs each qualify for more than one type.

It's not like it's new, either; The last 'dex allowed you to take a Command Squad for Belial AND upgrade a Deathwing squad, due to how it was worded, and that was never nixed by FAQ or Errata. Sammael didn't because he wasn't an "Independent Character", but that was another matter.

The real question is, why would you want more RW Command Squads? :/ They aren't really great, besides saving 6 points over a bare minimum Black Knight squad, and not taking up the Force Org chart, but in an army where you are close to maxing out your Fast Attack slots, you can't be too far away from 2k points anyway, surely?

facmanpob - true, but it's just for regular command squad, not RW one (DW is moot point as he can't have TDA anyway), at least until GW will FAQ it.

Ah, I see your point now - Techmarine on a bike could unlock a RW Command Squad......yep, nothing in the rules stops that from happening. :)

Oi bloke, I heard you like HQ, so I decided to put an HQ with your HQ so you can command while you command.

All joking aside, wouldn't this also lead to a use of putting a techmarine in a command squad equipped with one of the sacred standards embarked in one of the Land Raiders? Can Techmarines fix while inside the vehicle, or am I mistaken?

Archived