Armor (AV13) in 6th ed.

Theduke08

Ive recently just purchased and painted a Baal Pred (I got a new airbrush) and I have to say I really enjoyed painting it. My question is... Im debating getting another Baal and 2 vindicators and having a solid AV13 wall and rolling that right up the middle while I run some RAS squads up the flanks. Im wondering what everyones opinions on vehicles are since its been a while since 6th ed. came out and everyone should have a nice feel of things.

Ive also been debating only getting one Vindicator and a Storm Raven.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I run up 2 two Stormravens 2 Baals and a vindicator. The vindi is target priority number one every time it gets a lot of attention early in the game. Having 2 ravens off the board at the start makes it easy for your opponent. If I was honest more AV13 and one less raven would help the vindi to survive a little longer.

2 baals and a vindicator is a good start but 2 baals and 2 vindicators would be better. Reserves are in every game so rolling a vindi out from reserves is one way to keep it alive to do some damage. Coming on 2nd or even 3rd turn is not the end of the world for a 24" range gun that can move 12' and shoot.

The Stormraven is the best flyer in the game at the moment, if you want to take on feel free msn-wink.gif

My experience is that Vindicators perform significantly better in pairs for some reason, so if you like to play them it is certainly a good idea to get another one. Baal Predators are an excellent support choice in any number, especially because I feel that people tend to underestimate them (as opposed to vindicators, which are usually overestimated).

As a general thought, I feel that AV13 has become a very solid support choice for the rest of your army, but you shouldn't overdo it. If there's not enough stuff around to keep your enemy busy, your tanks will start popping very quickly. But if they can sit back while your infantry gets in his face, you should see nice results smile.png

edit:/ I'm not sure how well your idea of a tank center will work. They are not as durable anymore if exposed to focussed fire, I feel I get more mileage ouf of them if I keep them back or use them as flanking force instead.

comes down to one thing . do you play against IG/necron a lot[you technicly should because one is good and the other one is good and BB in to other imperial armies] ? then it aint worth the money . If your not playing necron/IG then it is ok .

We also have an AV13 dreadnought that can move 12" a turn and provide a bubble of cover to other vehicles and troops around it. I haven't had a chance to use it competitively yet, but the potential synergy of a libby dread running between an armored wall followed by jump troops is something I'm building up to

I've just looked up the vindicator on the GW site, was considering to buy one. Then I saw that it costs now 46€!! Or 57$, or 35 quid! That's outrageous and utterly ridiculous. If it was a new kit, alright, I'd give it a go, but paying 25% on top of the old price? Never, GW.

On the topic. Get a Stormraven, it's simply the best flyer I can think of. Vendettas are pretty close, but are vulnerable at the rear armour. The Stormraven has the benefit of machine spirit and loads of twin-linked weapons that are free. And, if you're into transporting stuff, it can reliably drop troops and a dread where you want, either through skies of blood or normal disembarking in hover mode! It's an assault vehicle on top of that, so you've got plenty of options what you want to do.

I'd take a Vindicator and a Stormraven, get's you the best out of both. Oh, and better search ebay for some vindie-kits down.gif

Yea the high price for any kit, new or existing is always painful. however, I dont think many of us would be playing this game if we couldnt afford it.

Im kind of liking the idea of running a vindie and a baal on both flanks. With a Stormraven with something fun inside, DC with a DC Dread maybe. Im going for an all jumper list which I like just fine im just getting bored with it, trying to change things up and paint something besides RAS.

Im about to finish the first Baal and ill post some pics.

Thanks

Agree with the jeske, Necron guns glance everything even land raiders to death in one round of shooting and guard just shoot everything to bits.

I always run DC with jump packs but consider keeping them on foot if you run them from a stormraven.

Reason is they become very good value saving 15 pts per model, the disembark from a raven on assault is still 6" even with JP's sure you get assault re-roll but the raven can get you to the battle.

You need 70 points for a coms relay having the raven on 2nd turn is good but if you have assault troops in it then its critical to success.

Our vindicators are fast, which makes them unreal.

The only problem they have, is they compete with Storm Ravens for slots.

I have ran three vindies as cover for jp troops, and it does work pretty well.

I think Two Ravens, a Vindie and Three Baals would work awesomely, but a huge number of points,

Our vindicators are fast, which makes them unreal.

The only problem they have, is they compete with Storm Ravens for slots.

I have ran three vindies as cover for jp troops, and it does work pretty well.

I think Two Ravens, a Vindie and Three Baals would work awesomely, but a huge number of points,

I barely fit in two baals a vindi and a raven but taking a lasback helps dilute the points cost

I've tried playing mech armies and haven't had much luck this edition. Its too bad too, I have a pretty good collection of Baals, Vindicators, and other tanks.

I haven't played much at all with the 6th edition rules. So I can't really say for sure, but my limited experince says that AV 13 is solid. last game I played I had two Vindicators. One was unfortunately blown up by a sqout squad melta bombing it...

The other however withstood four rounds of pretty relentless twin linked las can fire from a razorback and a melta gunner before destroying its enemies with its mighty cannon, and claiming a Mission objective marker. It lost two hull points due to glanzing hits.

So I'd say Vindicators are solid.

I've tried playing mech armies and haven't had much luck this edition. Its too bad too, I have a pretty good collection of Baals, Vindicators, and other tanks.

That's my experience too. Mech as your main focus is not really viable anymore, you have to have other dangerous units that keep your opponent from shooting the tanks.

You need 70 points for a coms relay having the raven on 2nd turn is good but if you have assault troops in it then its critical to success.

Depending on how many Ravens you have, you can run Corbs instead of a comm relay. His 1/game reroll can be used on a critical reserve roll if necessary, and the rest of the time you can save it for another important roll. Plus then you get a 2W priest with 2+ FNP and an S5 rending chainsword, as well as avoid constraining your deployment/T1 moves, for just 35 more points.

I am thinking of using AV13 flying armour more. I used a Caestus Assault Ram in three games and was very impressed.

The first time I used it in its first ever round of shooting it vapourised 400plus pts of terminators. In three games I never lost it, everything shoots at it and only once I lost the magnamelta. We played an 8ft long board hammer and anvil, its a long way to the other end. I ran a Storm raven right behind it as backup.

295 pts is high but I will take it over a land raider anytime the OMG factor is huge.

OMG its got Death Company in it ! I must shoot it and everything else gets ignored. Or OMG its impossible to kill but I must do something somehow the Death Company are in it. Then watch the scramble in the back lines as things get moved.

The large blast S8 AP1 twin linked template scares the silver pants off terminators and paladins

Archived