Need some help here.  So I'm painting up my Heresy Era Imperial Fists and based on what I've seen and have been reading, they didn't have various colored helmets to denote sergents and veterans.  So what's the opinion from the B&C?  Should I keep all the helmets yellow or should I paint them different for the sergents and vets?

In Betrayal there is a pic of a World Eater veteran with a different colored helmet; bronze for the records. I think other legions may use different markings for veterans and similar units.

However I think the Codex-approved markings of the 40K weren't use by the Legions.

However high ranking officers and sometimes sergeants wore the "Crested Helmet" as a mark of their rank, the one you find in the FW command set

Yes, it's difficult to tell what's Codex era and what pre-dated the Codex - especially as the codex introduced new things but also codified seccesful older practices too...

Crests are definately a way to go but I think you are basically free to do what you liike. Given that the Legions were not strictly regulated on markings (not even internally) you can really go for what you prefer - there is no lore restriction AFAIK.

This is an interesting topic.

I'm trying to incorporate a lot of the old rogue trader era markings in my space wolves with old helmet stripes, vambrace chevrons, and shoulder pad heraldry of officers combined with some (but not as much as in 40k) wolfabelia.

I'm going for this for two reasons. Firstly the rank and organizational markings actually conform to an organisational structure that I can readily refer to my old rogue trader books for. Secondly, rogue trader markings are old and make the marines appear more archaic and removed from the current era of 40k that is instantly recognisable to veteran players of the game such as myself.

One of the best things about the heresy are is that so little is know, relative to the 41st millennium. While each legion has itos tradtions, so do individual companies with them as well as brothers recruited from different worlds. To me this is a licence to have a bit more freedom with how I paint and model my units. In particular I'm very much enjoying creating an army that looks like the images of space marines that got me into the hobby in the first place.

Right, this has slightly nothing to do with the topic...but kind of does, but I didn't want to open up a new topic just for a quick question. 

Is the heresy/pre-heresy iron warrior scheme the same as the current scheme, or is their inner shoulder pads silver also?

Sorry for hijacking!

Archived