A Question of Fluff

Brother Darkover

So I have a few questions mostly relating to fluff matters.  The first is that has a lost company ever come back?  The idea I have kicking around is that the company has been at war for a long while that it recently has come back, and has recently returned to the Fang to resupply.  The second one is that I have a few ideas kicking around to incorporate the various allied Space Marines (not DA or BT), however I am not sure how well they execute since they show some sort of genetic flaw in the Wolf (such as a long exposure to fighting around the Maelstrom giving a very very small amount of Wolves very low psyker abilities which they then are covered in talismans and tattoos to protect against maledictum or that same contact slowly degrading another few into more Wulfen like to represent BA)? 

usually when a company is "lost" if I remember my fluff correctly...there is a feast of mourning...followed by the great wolf deciding to make a new company to take that companies place...

thus there is always 12 companies in some for or fashion avaiable to the chapter at any point or time...

as for a lost company returning I have no real memory of that happening...but I think that would be quite akward for all involved...

haha

but hey weirder :cuss has been spit out of the warp...heck there was a loan astrates throw out of the war after 10,000 years and the weight of years and his own inner strenght made him crack...haha

granted that dude kicked butt and took down a hive...almost singlehandly...but still...awesome...

Go fear...

So far as I know, any Great Company that was declared "lost" was either destroyed, disappeared completely (in the original 13th's case), or turned traitor.  I don't think it's unusual for any given Great Company to be on campaign for a long time, and I don't imagine that one would be declared lost lightly, so what happened to this one for them to be named so?  Whatever it is it would have to be very serious, such as disappearing with no contact for many decades or even centuries.

Anyway, I imagine any Great Company declared lost and then returned would be viewed with a great deal of suspicion.

I do not recall any instance in Space Wolves background material where a Lost Company has actually returned. That's not to say that it is "wrong" to use that as your backstory, only that the GW Studio has never, to my knowledge, written about such a thing having happened.

Valerian

It could theoretically happen- I mean, there's precedent of the warp spitting ships out centuries too late, with the crew scratching their heads at the fact the battle is long over (Actually, there's at least one case where a ship responded to it's own distress call).

However, such ships are going to be subjected to battery upon battery of tests to ensure there's no taint, and there's still going to be suspicion. Still, it could happen.

I do not recall any instance in Space Wolves background material where a Lost Company has actually returned. That's not to say that it is "wrong" to use that as your backstory, only that the GW Studio has never, to my knowledge, written about such a thing having happened.

Valerian

What about the 13th Company's return from the Eye of Terror at the beginning of the 13th Black Crusade. 

Has that all been retconed or what?

Even if it has could you not use some of the protocol as still valid... ?

Waiting for a wiser wolf to enlighten at least me :).

Valerian

What about the 13th Company's return from the Eye of Terror at the beginning of the 13th Black Crusade.

Waiting for a wiser wolf to enlighten at least me smile.png.

No, that's still there, it's just at the very end of the timeline, so the implications of it have yet to be discussed.

Valerian

Waiting for a wiser wolf to enlighten at least me smile.png.

No, that's still there, it's just at the very end of the timeline, so the implications of it have yet to be discussed.

Okay that is about what i understood.

But can we assume the protocols for welcoming back lost companies to be somewhat accurate regardless of where in the timeline they are... ?

Well... like I said, the 13th company hasn't really been welcomed back. They've shown up a few times (Ragnar even fought alongside them on a journey into the eye of terror to recover the Spear of Russ), but I don't think the wolves have really talked about their return much, especially considering the 13 company is doggedly insistent on finishing the job they started.

Yes, the primary distinction there is that the "real" (or original) 13th Company, if you will, did "return" to real-space from millennia in the Eye of Terror and re-entered the Imperium.  However, they did so on the heels of Abaddon's 13th Black Crusade, and either will (or already have) followed the remnants of that crusade right back into the Eye from whence it came.  They didn't travel on back to The Fang on Fenris to take up residence among their brothers of the Chapter, which is, I think, more like what the OP was asking about.

Big difference between occasional run-ins as the two distinct forces battle a common eternal foe, and an actual attempt at reintegration.  It is the latter that has no precedence in the fluff, that I am aware of. 

Best,

V

Archived