How far for the dead?

Valkyrion

Scenario: Half a battle company, a couple of deathwing and ravenwing squads, relevant support and a HQ unit all dead on a world somewhere. How and where is irrelevant, but whoever killed them is still there and in force and aren't budging.

Do the Dark Angels send another force to get the bodies/geneseed/wargear even if it's too risky?

If yes, does the size of the force depend on who/what is there? e.g, the entire chapter mobilises to recover the body of Sammael or a Sacred Standard, but only a token gesture to recover the chaplain of the 8th company etc

Basically, how far would the chapter go to recover their dead?

Hmm interesting thoughts, what are you planning Valkyrion?

Well after reading 'Ravenwing,' Sammael and parts of the second company with parts of the fifth company investigate the loss of contact with a chaplain on a planet. Also, they are upset that someone removed the progenoid glands from their dead and question what could someone want with them.

Anyway, in relation to your question, what I think this means;

With the losses you are talking about, yes I would expect a large portion of the DA chapter to appear and put down this threat. Possibly even other chapters from the Unforgiven would be called upon too, depending how it goes.

The DA and their kin are known for stubbornly refusing to accepting defeat. ;-)

Geneseed is important, so yes, they would go after them. Space Marines have also been known to retrieve fallen heroes just for the sake of giving a proper ceremony and burial, sometimes with an awesome statue.

This, of course, depends on the practicality of doing so. Cod_lover has made a good point; The Dark Angels are known to be stubborn in defeat. Another fluff related attribute is the Dark Angels tendency to extract revenge on those that vex them.

So, the Dark Angels would go in under most situations, but not just to retrieve geneseed. They will go back to kill them all dead! If the enemy does flee; well, the Ravenwing are trained to hunt for more than one purpose.

Haven't we been deceived due to our stubbornness into a fight with some daemons that we barely won?

I think it writes so in the codex.

Regardless, the geneseed as has been said is considered sacred and I believe there will be a sure attempt to recover it. Also by the force spec that the Op talks about includes almost priceless equipment: Bikes,TDA,vehicles and given our tendency nowdays to carry them on the field relics.

Its a given that the we will take them back :D

Haven't we been deceived due to our stubbornness into a fight with some daemons that we barely won?

I think it writes so in the codex.

Regardless, the geneseed as has been said is considered sacred and I believe there will be a sure attempt to recover it. Also by the force spec that the Op talks about includes almost priceless equipment: Bikes,TDA,vehicles and given our tendency nowdays to carry them on the field relics.

Its a given that the we will take them back biggrin.png

Yeah, we have jumped head first into some pretty sticky situations before. In fact, I was a little vexed when I got to the history part of the Dark Angles (normally meant to show off Chapter victories), only to find that half of the entries were Chaos Marines/Daemons taking advantage of our dropped guard as we were following a 'clue' to the Fallen. That's a dirty, rotten Chaos trick!

Well call me odd, but I liked how they changed the point of view in the fluff. They stopped depicting us on the outside only (as all space marines, knights in shining armor blah blah blah) and focushed on the 'flaws' that arise from our dirty loundy. I am not refering to Brother McFartys robes obviously.

Well call me odd, but I liked how they changed the point of view in the fluff. They stopped depicting us on the outside only (as all space marines, knights in shining armor blah blah blah) and focushed on the 'flaws' that arise from our dirty loundy. I am not refering to Brother McFartys robes obviously.

+1. I think the fluff is much more well-rounded and interesting.....especially as it ties in with the recent Heresy short stories and Gav Thorpe novels.

Archived