Rules questions for Marines

Blaze

I had two quick questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

1. If I have drop pods in both my main detachment and my allied detachment (say I run SW with C:SM allies), do they form one pool of drop pods for drop pod assault or would their arrival be figured out seperate?  Like if I ran 3 SW drop pods and 1 C:SM drop pod would 3 turn up turn one or 2?

2. Can Bjorn be declared your warlord?  He's an HQ but doesn't have a base leadership.  The one warlord trait mentions it's possible to have a vehicle warlord.

1. If I have drop pods in both my main detachment and my allied detachment (say I run SW with C:SM allies), do they form one pool of drop pods for drop pod assault or would their arrival be figured out seperate?  Like if I ran 3 SW drop pods and 1 C:SM drop pod would 3 turn up turn one or 2?

The rulebook is not clear on this issue. The best answer is to discuss it with your opponent or dice off. I would argue in favor of combining them, because other reserve affecting rules seem to cross over between allied detachments (ie C:IG Astropath's Telepathic relay).

2. Can Bjorn be declared your warlord?  He's an HQ but doesn't have a base leadership.  The one warlord trait mentions it's possible to have a vehicle warlord.

This is another uncleaer situation. Each army must have a Warlord which must be the Primary Detachment HQ choice with the highest Leadership (BRB, pg.111). If Bjorn is your only Primary detachment HQ choice, then he is the one with the "highest leadership" (even though he has a Leadership of -). So I would argue that "yes, Bjorn can be your Warlord", but only if he is your only Primary detachment HQ. This would be supported by the Warlord trait which specifically includes vehicle Warlords in its effect (BRB, pg.111, Immovable Object)

because other reserve affecting rules seem to cross over between allied detachments (ie C:IG Astropath's Telepathic relay).

Doesn't the recent FAQ state that the allied detachment (badly worded, but what's new...) doesn't benefit from *any* reserve manipulation?

Edit: Might be just reserve rolls.  Can't check the FAQs at work. :(

because other reserve affecting rules seem to cross over between allied detachments (ie C:IG Astropath's Telepathic relay).

Doesn't the recent FAQ state that the allied detachment (badly worded, but what's new...) doesn't benefit from *any* reserve manipulation?

Edit: Might be just reserve rolls. Can't check the FAQs at work. sad.png

I thought I remembered an FAQ to that affect, but after reading and re-reading the v1.2 Rulebook FAQ and the v1.1 C:IG FAQ I couldn't find anything of the like. So I answered as non-commitally as possible ("seems to").

The Intercept Reserves negatively modeifies your opponents Reserve rolls, and would seem to work regardless of Allies in either army. Maybe GW, at first, decided that the Telepathic Reserves shouldn't modify your Allied Reserves but then concluded that it wouldn't work right to have the Master of the Fleet work differently than the Astropath? I don't know.

I thought I remembered an FAQ to that affect, but after reading and re-reading the v1.2 Rulebook FAQ and the v1.1 C:IG FAQ I couldn't find anything of the like. So I answered as non-commitally as possible ("seems to").

Only reason I remember it is due to the terrible wording. It probably should be something about primary/ally reserve manipulations not working for each other, but it stuck out as something like "allied detachments can't benefit from any manipulation to their reserve rolls".

Which means of you allied IG, and only had IG units in reserve, they still wouldn't ever be able to benefit from thier own reserve powers...

I'll have a look tonight, see if I can find it. msn-wink.gif

Edit:

Found it (Page 8 BRB FAQ);

Q: Do modifiers that apply to such things as Reserve rolls, apply to

units from an allied detachment? (p124)

A: No.

Only reason I remember it is due to the terrible wording. It probably should be something about primary/ally reserve manipulations not working for each other, but it stuck out as something like "allied detachments can't benefit from any manipulation to their reserve rolls".

Which means of you allied IG, and only had IG units in reserve, they still wouldn't ever be able to benefit from thier own reserve powers...

I'll have a look tonight, see if I can find it. msn-wink.gif

Edit:

Found it (Page 8 BRB FAQ);

>Q: Do modifiers that apply to such things as Reserve rolls, apply to

units from an allied detachment? (p124)

A: No.

Yeah, now I see why all of my searches came up "no match"...

And yeah, as written:

- Primary: C:IG, Astropaths would only affect the Primary detachment's reserved units.

- Primary: anyone else w/ Allied: C:IG, Astropaths have no affect (even on the C:IG Allied reserved units).

And on that note - I'd argue for keeping the Drop Pod pools seperate.

Archived