possibly starting blood angels on the cheap?

grumabeth

Hi all Iv been wanting to start GK but recently did a trade for a storm raven and terminators (gk ones) but he also said he had the games day 08 captain and 2 squads of assault marines.

so now i have

1x captain with thunder hammer

2 x assault squads

1 x storm raven

is this even a viable start for a blood angels force or im just p***ing in the wind here?

I'd say its a great start. Captains aren't great for BA as their choice of equipment feels lacking.

2 assault squads are great as they are troops so you have your minimum req.

Storm ravens are one of the best flyers in the game at the moment with a great choice of free upgrades.

As with veteran, it's a very good start. Stick a pack on the captain and use him as a veteran sergeant.

If you want an army on the cheap, pick up a 220pt+ named character (Meph, Sanguinor, Dante) and you're pretty much at 1000pts.

250 Meph

250 10 Assault marines, 2 melta, powerfist, infernus

250 10 Assault marines, 2 melta, powerfist, infernus

230 Storm Raven, Hurricane Bolters

980pts.

I agree that the captain is a bit weak and it's probably better to use him as a sergeant.

I would suggest you add a Sanguinary priest. There are models for them, but you can convert pretty much any marine with misc. bits to look the part. And FNP on Mephiston is awesome.

250 Meph

210 10 Man ASM with 2 Melta

210 10 Man ASM with 2 Melta

90 Sanguinary Priest with Power Weapon and Jump Pack

230 Storm Raven, Hurricane Bolters

990 pts.

You'll be weak to ranged shooting turn 1, but once the assault marines and Mephy get into range and the stormraven arrives you'll tear through everything. I've run a similar list, but just using a jump librarian instead of Mephy, with some decent results. It's a fun and dynamic list, but it takes some finesse to handle properly (I'm still learning that part). Also deep striking melta ftw.

Gabriel Seth isn't well regarded as far as BA HQs go. The lack of Artificer, jump pack and a Power weapon, and the lack of any Army-wide buffs are the main points, iirc. That being said, I've always enjoyed running the guy. He hits hard, is fun to play and he's the cheapest named HQ in our book. Bloodreaver is pretty great, with double strength hits at initiative, and works really well with whirlwind of gore, if you really need to guarantee a couple of wounds.

It's all down to you, of course. What do you want?

I would add that you have the start of two armies that compliment each other if using allies.

Personally I'd go the BA way, but I'm coloured in my opinion and happily unrepenting!

BA for ever!

Archived