Custom Heroes

Stupid Waldo

I've been attempting to make custom heroes for my homebrew chapter, but I'm not sure how balanced they are, since I'm rather new to the game, and all of my friends are even less experienced than myself.  This is the first of my characters and the main focus of my first army.

Lord Perseus

WS - 6

BS - 5

S - 4

T - 5

W - 4

I - 5

A - 3

Ld - 10

Sv - 2+

Rules: Eternal Warrior, all standard space marine captain abilities.

Scourge of Xenos:

Perseus and his command squad (if he takes one and is attached to them) gain preferred enemy (orks, tyranids)

Wargear: Wyrmscale Shroud (iron halo), Reaper Bolter, Witherblade

Reaper Bolter:

R 24 S 4 AP 4 Assault 3, Poisoned 2+, Master crafted

Witherblade:

Power sword w/ Poisoned 2+, Rending

Does this seem balanced? or is it underpowered/overpowered for its points cost.  I started him with significantly less points, but the more havoc he causes in our games the more expensive I make him to try to balance it out for my friends.

Thank you.  Most of the abilities (poisoned, master crafted, etc.) i just took the points that they would normally cost and added them on once for each time I used them (so 20 points for having my bolter and my sword poisoned (hellfire rounds - 10)), but the stat boosts, and other abilities, like eternal warrior, etc. I wasn't so sure about.

This is the next hero in my army.  He is the company champion of the company that the previous hero (the captain) leads.  I really don't like the way that champions are laid out.  They appear overall weak, and in my opinion a champion should be even better than his captain, or at least on the same level, since he is the finest swordsman/axeman/whatever he may be in that entire company.  All the training goes to fighting in one to one combat to ensure that the captain is free from fighting those heroes.  To this end I increased the stats and abilites of my champion significantly to show this, but with a largely increased points cost.

Eros the Unbound

WS - 6

BS - 4

S - 5

T - 5

W - 2

I - 6

A - 5

Ld - 9

Sv - 2+

Wargear: Wrath and Vigilance (second attack already factored into stats), Crusader Bolter, Artificer Armor (already factored into stats)

Abilities: Unbridled Wrath

Eros counts as an independent character, but can only attach to a command squad, must be purchased with a command squad, and starts the game attached to a command squad.

Unbridled Wrath: Eros counts as fearless.  In addition, the squad he is part of will not benefit in any way from this, and if the command squad is pinned, goes to ground, or falls back, Eros automatically breaks off from them.  In addition Eros cannot have his initiative reduced.

Wrath and Vigilance: A pair of power swords, one a large hand-and-a-half used mostly for striking, and the other a smaller, single bladed sword used for blocking or quick stabs.  Has the master crafted and rending special rules.  In addition, in close combat Eros has a 5+ invulnerable save.

Crusader Bolter:

R 12, S 4, AP 5, Assault 2

100 points (instead of the 15 that a champion normally costs)

What do you think of this character?

And when I ask if its balanced, I want to know how much each stat change should probably cost and how much each ability would be, to add on to characters, since I'm likely going to be using them multiple times (example: all of my masters of the chapter and captains are going to have Eternal Warrior)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have ideas on Eros ^ ?  I'm really unsure about him and I don't want to use him presently, since he seems to dominate in close combat, where ever i throw him.  But thats what he was designed to do, so balancing him is incredibly difficult, the same with Perseus above him.  They both excel at what they were designed to do, and they have very rarely encountered something they weren't meant to do (Perseus went toe to toe against a Grey Knight Grand Master, and it was pretty much a draw with neither inflicting any wounds on the other over the course of 3 full turns).  In addition, i was thinking about replacing the scourge of xenos ability, with one that still gives perseus the preferred enemy, but also removes combat tactics from all of his troops and in return all bolt weapons they have gain poisoned something.  How much extra should that cost? Thoughts please?

Archived