1750 BT list vs GK Battle Report with Pics

HellJumper117

So I used BT_Wolfe's List to play against my GK friend this afternoon.

Marshal

Artificer Armour, PAxe, StormShield - 130

EC

SNTUTL - 125

Ven Dread

AC, DCCW+Flamer, EA, TankHunter - 150

Shooty Termx5

CMLx2 / TH - 265

Shooty Termx5

CMLx2 / TH - 265

9 Initiates

CCW/BP, Flamer, PAxe/BP - 160

5 Ini

Bolter, LC

5 Ini

Bolter, LC

Land Speeder typhoon x2 - 140

Vindicatorx2

POTMS, EA - 320

GK list

Coteaz

5x Grey Knight Strike Squad (10)

Daemon Hammers,

Force Halberd on Justicar

2 Dreadknight

Great Sword, heavy incinerator

Deployment Image: http://imgur.com/a/gI1Lx

Battle Report

We play on a 2x3 board. For some :cussed up reason, we end up using the right side of the 2x3, turning the game into a 2x2. Hindsight, I could have used that extra space to run around.

He has 1 Strike squad split into combat squads in reserve along with his dreadknights.

Before anything, my LRCs were proxy for my landspeeders. I know, too big. But now I own 2 brand new boxes of speeders. That should fix the issue....

Round one... fight!

He deploys first, I fail at seizing initiative.

He moves his units onto the the objectives except for the squad with Coteaz attached. He also uses runs. Coteaz squad fires at my melee blob, 2 models die. I RZ. Ends turn.

My turn.

Both my Vindicators move to fire at his 10man strike squad, killing 4 models. CML terminators positioned at the front of my vindicators fire, killing another 4. CML terminators on the right side of the board fire at another 10man squad, killing another 4 (golly gee right, cml imba). 1 Typhoons kill another 2 models of the same squad. The other typhoon fires at the ruins infront, kills one guy. My lascannon snipes off a lone psycannon belonging to Coteaz squad. My ven Dread moves to shoot at Coteaz, he looks out sir, loses 1 model.

My biggest mistake: I move my melee blob closer to the inquisitor squad, with ruins inbetween

His turn

He deep strikes in both Dreadknights. The first deepstrike lands a direct hit, despite being in the middle of 3 ruins (dice gods were with him).

Second deepstrike is infront of my ven dread, but scatters 7" to the left, he's right infront of my vindicators and terminators.

The inquisitor casts prescience on its own squad and misfortune on my melee blob. Needless to say, :cuss happens and I'm left with my one wound EC. He :cusss a few bricks. His dreadknight that deepstrikes inbetween 3 ruins charges my lascannon squad in the ruins. He ceremonially beats them with his god damn great sword.

His other dreadknight walks up to my CML and bitch slaps 4 of them. And I forget to take overwatch (like that would help).

We call it a day here as I had to go off early (family stuff).

Talking to the locals in the shop, I realize the importance of having an AP2 weapon against dreadknights (because they are such a biaaaaaaaaatch.)

End of Round 2 his turn photos: http://imgur.com/a/6dlrl

I said that it felt like an even fight, but according to him he was way up in terms of scoring units. I only had 1 left.

All in all, I thank BT Wolfe for this list, it was a fun list to play with.

Looking back, I really really need to remember the 24" death range that all grey knights have. I let 1 get too close and my melee blob just.. vanished. I also feel that the melee blob is a little useless, but I will have to experiment with it more in order to get a better feel of what I'm suppose to do with them, instead of walking into people's line of fire.

I need some criticism on my deployment. According to my friend, my deployment played right into his hands.

His dreadknight that deepstrikes inbetween 3 ruins charges my lascannon squad in the ruins

You mean he charged the same he deep striked? Units cannot charge in the same turn they arrive via deep strike unless a special rule allow them to do and DK does not have such rule.

His dreadknight that deepstrikes inbetween 3 ruins charges my lascannon squad in the ruins

You mean he charged the same he deep striked? Units cannot charge in the same turn they arrive via deep strike unless a special rule allow them to do and DK does not have such rule.

He told me it was a MC and for some reason could charge.

you played a 1750 game on a WHAT SIZED BOARD!? 2x3!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Something tella me that a 1750 game shluld have been played on a bigger board.

Assuming your measurements are in feet, and not meters:

2x3 is probably the size you would play a 500 point game on, and even then, that's a really shallow board. Recommended board size is 6x4. 

If you're in meters, then your board is superfluously huge. however, since you had your men in close combat on turn 2 with some grey knights, i'm assuming you were measuring in feet. 

Only things I'm aware of that can charge the turn they come out of reserves (including deepstriking/infiltrating/outflanking), are Ymgarl Genestealers from Tyranids, and Vanguard Veterans from Space marines. Those Dreadknights couldn't have charged you after deepstriking. He was either mis-informed (most likely) or cheating (less likely). Being a Monsterous Creature does not allow you to charge after deepstriking.

maybe he's counting the tiles they're using to fill the board up? if they're 2x2 tiles, then he'd have a 6x4 table, but he would put it as 2x3 as that's the dimensions the tiles are in. only he can answer, i guess.

Were terrain pre-set already?

Usually I would put some terrain within my deployment zone and deploy the infantry inside them preferably 2nd level for the small squads with a heavy weapon. And typhoons/vindicators/vehicles behind or semi-behind it to gain cover or limit the number of enemy units that can see it. Preferably letting me gain line of sight to the enemy units I want to shoot and deny line of sight to those I would like to stay away from and not get shot at.

Deploying your units in the open is kind of a dangerous thing to do unless you have a plan or intend to do so.

Wow. I'll bet you 5$ that that guy wouldn't Deep strike his Dreadknights if he knew he couldn't assault afterwards. By all means, the one in front of your Vindicator and Termies would be dead meat. When I read the report I actually smiled when I read that part, cus I already saw it dying under a barrage of rockets. Then the golly gee! moment.

I've taken to reading and remembering every rule in the BRB. (I used to skip MC's, Psykers and other non-important stuff. Rigt up until you get Smash-ed in the face by a Trygon (for ID on Chaplain cry.gif ) , get Maledections thrown at you from all directions, while the other guy keeps Blessing his own guys! (You do not want Termies with -1 Str and T, coupled with re-roll succesfull Sv when the other guy gets re-rolls to hit!down.gif Note: All that happened before I even knew that COULD happen!sad.png )

Yeah I was speaking to other veteran Gk players and they said that deepstriking a dreadknight is highly irregular.

Reflecting on the battle, should I have attempted to take out his Warlord first, since his dreadknights weren't on the table until round 2.

Were terrain pre-set already?

Usually I would put some terrain within my deployment zone and deploy the infantry inside them preferably 2nd level for the small squads with a heavy weapon. And typhoons/vindicators/vehicles behind or semi-behind it to gain cover or limit the number of enemy units that can see it. Preferably letting me gain line of sight to the enemy units I want to shoot and deny line of sight to those I would like to stay away from and not get shot at.

Deploying your units in the open is kind of a dangerous thing to do unless you have a plan or intend to do so.

Terrains were already pre-set.

So in the future I should deploy behind buildings to block LoS?

Archived