Rainbow Warriors - Casting! Casting!

Aqui

Either plan out what you want to work in at a time or just work on one squad/vehicle/character at a time. If you build loads you end up looking at it and thinking "do I really have to paint all that".

Looking forward to seeing that Contemptor up and about smile.png

Nice to see how much progress you've made these past months thumbsup.gif

Thanks happy.png

Candidus is a stepping stone to an eventual 30k Ultramarine project. It's not going to be big, but I want the models I get for that to be compatible with 40k using magnets smile.png

I'm quite a grumpy old Chaplain in real life, my online persona being far more chipper than I actually am, so I can relate to that msn-wink.gif I dare say that if we ever met, we'd get on famously, grumbling about "When I was a lad..."

You got more than 10 years head start on me in the old department, but I have grumpitude well beyond my years, and my Paddleum says I'm more Chaplainy msn-wink.gif

When I was a lad...

..we didn't use snippers and knives to get models off the sprue. We had thumbs and fingers for that (true story).

..codexes gave us options that models didn't.

..the name Rainbow Warriors didn't cause immediate snickering and snorting.

..Blood Red was another term for 'orange'

..green paint counted as proper basing

..pink headed aliens rode around in limos.

..deploying a psycher meant the rest of a match consisted of simply sitting back and watching with a satisfied smirk.

..a piece of paper with a Killa Kan drawn on it was perfectly acceptable.

..we didn't have forums full of threads to derail with sudden Foxworthy styled jokes.

teehee.gif

SO true! That an ork Battlewagon was often proxied with a toddlers Tonka Truck... :p

That and I have a huge amount of respect for anyone with an Oddball avatar!

Anyway, oooh contemptor dread! Excited now! Going to be fun seeing this built up and ready for painting. Will be watching this closely!

A little more work done. I've added some sand to the base. The picture below has more on it than it does now, probably not enough PVA on the base. Looking at it as it is now, I'm not so keen on it. Candidus isn't attached to the base yet, so I may just get another blank base, or order a custom resin one by a company I've been keeping an eye on. Trouble is, the company is American and any order made will take some time to arrive sad.png

Anyway:

med_gallery_51296_6652_302086.jpg

As I said, not keen of that at all. It might look better once it has paint etc on it...

med_gallery_51296_6652_105570.jpg

The image above shows the arm attached with magnets. I had done it so that the shoulder guard is magnetised and the lower half as well, but the weight of the arm in total meant the arm kept falling to the side. In the end I glued the shoulder guard to the torso, leaving the pair of magnets in as I couldn't get them back out again with out damage to the model and my fingers... dry.png Oh well laugh.png

med_gallery_51296_6652_346624.jpg

Here is the magnet attached to the upper half. I cut the hole using a craft knife as I don't have a drill bit of the correct size. I'll be nipping down to the local DIY shop at some point to get a 2mm and 4mm bit.

med_gallery_51296_6652_328391.jpg

A closer look at the join. The magnet strength is okay, more than enough to keep the arm attached, but there is a little movement when you handle the model. It's something I can live with smile.png

med_gallery_51296_6652_543555.jpg

Here is the Lizard man part I want to use to give Candidus a more "Aztec" feel. As I said in the previous post, I think it's okay, but a second opinion would be appreciated happy.png

I'm just letting everything settle before I add the basecoat. The next post will have the basecoat and the model painted in blue at the very least.

All things considered, my first attempt at a Resin model (excluding Finecast, which to me is a different material alltogether...), and first attempt at magnetising a model and I didn't Feth it up! happy.png

The symbol looks good it looks to be sitting flush.

It just fits smile.png

I've made a decision on the base - I've ordered two unused "regular" dreadnought bases from eBay happy.png I'll try to remove the foam off the other one, or find something else to use it on.

The Aztec bit looks really good on there! Nice work, Aquilanus.

Thanks smile.png As I said a while ago, I intend to add some freehand to him as well. I'm still planning out what I want for him, but I'm trying to balance something that stretches me to do better, but not that is more than I can realistically handle. I've had a few Frater give me advice on that score (thanks a lot to those involved msn-wink.gif ), so I'll be concentrating on that whilst the replacement Con Beamer and new bases arrive.

• 5 weeks later...

At just under a month, I have made some progress happy.png

med_gallery_51296_6652_321374.jpg

med_gallery_51296_6652_681246.jpg

med_gallery_51296_6652_264538.jpg

I've got some way to go before the highlighting etc is finished, but I'm glad I got over the fear of making a mistake with this model and got this far happy.png

I still need to magnetise the Conversion Beamer, and the other Power fist arm, but I still haven't picked up the correct drill bit, but that can wait smile.png

A few Frater have made some suggestions on what else to "Aztecify" him. I'm currently pondering on patterns such as this or this. I'm also practicing painting the Chapter logo. I still need a lot of practice with it, however. Oh well, progress is progress! laugh.png

awesome shade of blue! i cant see the first design on my phone but the second looks a bit too greek to me.

if you could do a mural of the emperor in the same style as the aztecs depicted the aliens/their gods that'd be funky :D

how substantial is that conversion beamer?

Looking Good.thumbsup.gif

Thanks smile.png I noticed you're starting yet another Chapter?! Are you mad?! laugh.png

awesome shade of blue! i cant see the first design on my phone but the second looks a bit too greek to me.

if you could do a mural of the emperor in the same style as the aztecs depicted the aliens/their gods that'd be funky biggrin.png

how substantial is that conversion beamer?

Thanks! happy.png

For the record, the blue recipe is:

Chaos black undercoat

Kantor Blue basecoat

Drakenhof Nightshade wash (a heavy one, not watered down)

Caledor sky hightlight

I've always loved Conversion Beamers from the days of Rogue Trader happy.png The model itself is a little delicate. Aside from the miscast issue from a while back, when I started assembly of the replacement, the pointed end snapped off. Fortunately, the same part in the miscast was perfectly fine, so I used that laugh.png I'm eventually going to have every arm variant for him, but he's armed enough for now happy.png

The patterns posted above apparently Aztec ones, but I'm still researching a lot at the moment. There are many pictures of the Aztec Sun God (known as the Inti - the very term the Rainbow Warriors use to refer to the Emperor in the story I'm writing), that I would love to use, but most are quite detailed...well, too detailed for me anyway.

Here is a link to them: Inti, the Sun God

Like the Chapter symbol, I think I'll have to try to practice some of them.

Looking good brother, you could try this one for simplified work? Red circle, yellow beams and place a white skull decal in the centre instead of the painted face to give it that Imperial spin? 

http://www.ducksters.com/history/inca/inti_the_sun_god.jpg

Looking good brother, you could try this one for simplified work? Red circle, yellow beams and place a white skull decal in the centre instead of the painted face to give it that Imperial spin?

http://www.ducksters.com/history/inca/inti_the_sun_god.jpg

You must have read my mind, as I was just looking at that picture. I must admit I didn't think of "40k-ifying" it though. That might be something easier for me to accomplish smile.png

++Brother Captain. Welcome++

Varagol knelt with reverence before this mighty warrior. For the first time in many years, he felt anxious, nervous even. It was almost unheard of for any Marine to be summoned for a private audience with him short of the Chapter Master, but Varagol was nevertheless called to meet him. The title he now bore was still new, the weight it carried with it was something that Varagol was struggling with. He would bear it stoically, as every other Captain of the Fourth had, but still...

"First Brother." His voice quavered as he spoke. Silently cursing himself, Varagol bowed his head.

++Stand, Brother. This is a private affair, thus no need for ceremony.++

Varagol did so. The title of First Brother was unique to Candidus, given to him when he was given the honour of raising the Rainbow Warriors many centuries ago. Candidus made it plain that such reverence afforded to him was not necessary, but the Chapter still used it. The Marine he was, had undertaken such deeds to make him a true legend, a bastion on the battlefield, a rock. Even his adopted formal name Candidus meant "He who illuminates", a nod to his unerring ability to lead in the darkest of times in their history.

++I take it upon myself to act as counsel to every Chapter Master who have come after me, and to those who yet make that journey. Tell me your tale young one. I wish to know you, as I have so many others...++

Another day, another progress report. Candidus, is more or less finished, but I'm looking at the base and I'd still like to make it better. It was originally going to look like stone, but for some reason I tried to make it look like a desert blink.png So I just washed it heavily with Nuln Oil for now. Any suggestions to make it better with out too much messing around would be appreciated (the base has had a Black undercoat, with a grey coat then a yellow brown coat, then the wash, so it's getting rather thick with paint sad.png )

Anyway:

gallery_51296_6652_575418.jpg

The sunburst is supposed to be Aztec inspired, and whilst I quite like it, it could have been painted on a little better. The skull is an honour marking, and the 13 ties into their parent Chapters Legion number smile.png

gallery_51296_6652_183330.jpg

Ugh. I've practiced and practiced and practiced some more, and I still can't get the Chapter symbol painted well enough sad.png Oh well laugh.png

gallery_51296_6652_625724.jpg

My highlighting is getting better though...

gallery_51296_6652_303384.jpg

Just noticed a few areas to tidy up dry.png

gallery_51296_6652_261924.jpg

Close up on the various markings on his armour.

I love this Dread. I still have to magnetise his right arm and to build/paint his other close combat fist arm. I intend to get every variant arm for him, so that he can choose which to use in battle as befits his status as the original Chapter Master happy.png

Thanks for looking!

You're right about your highlighting, it's getting better. I have yet to experiment with high lighting since the first Malevolent I painted. I hear you on the Chapter symbol, I can't get the Death Strike one looking uniform so I've just resigned to having it the way it comes out. 

You're right about your highlighting, it's getting better. I have yet to experiment with high lighting since the first Malevolent I painted. I hear you on the Chapter symbol, I can't get the Death Strike one looking uniform so I've just resigned to having it the way it comes out.

The highlighting is in part, down to me deciding to get better brushes - Series 7's. I got two from an internet supplier for around the same price (P+P included) for the price of one from the W+N site excluding P+P laugh.png Lovely brushes to use. Pity that they don't make painting Chapter symbols (of any sort) easier sad.png

• 8 months later...

It's been a while since I posted anything WIP related. In fact, it's been so long that I had forgotten when I had last done so! blink.png

I've been reviewing the ever expanding list of models I have to paint and came to a decision that some projects will have to be mothballed for a while so that I can concentrate on one or two (and actually get them done! dry.png ) One project that will always be off the substitution bench is this one. With that in mind, I can go into a little detail on what can be expected going into 2015.

I'll be starting a new army, with modern minis. My current army will stay. I have no intention of stripping them, in fact, they will be used as a "booster" set - i.e. if I get around to playing larger games and need extra units. Some models, such as Candidus, the Assault squad, Razorback and Storm talon will get moved over to the new army. My intention is that again, I will be collecting a full Company, but not necessarily Fourth Company - in fact I might do a company's worth, but a mixture of two to nine with some of first and tenth in for good measure.

I will also be using these from now one:

gallery_51296_6652_29698.jpg

I got in contact with a great guy ("Lamenter") recently after seeing his work out there on various forums and sites. I hope to get these soon. They are a Mark VI and Mark VII shoulder guard wub.png I do need to practice on casting, but I've watched quite a few videos (including Lamenter's own smile.png ) and it seems easier than I imagined. I dare say that it'll take a while to get the hang of things, but I'm chuffed to bits at the prospect of never having to freehand that darned Chapter symbol again! laugh.png

I may ask him to make a set for my Steel Wings futher down the line...

Anyway, here's to 2015! happy.png

Sleek. Of course you realize that now Lamenter will be drowning in requests?

And you and I need to have a long, boring discussion about free-handing, young man. msn-wink.gif

It's not like I haven't practised laugh.png

And it's been a long time since I've been a young man! laugh.png

Archived