Rainbow Warriors - Casting! Casting!

Aqui

Yeah Furioso, gotta make sure you finish those juggernauts ;)

Nice to see you're still working on these guys Aquilanus. Those pads are indeed awesome! I myself will probably will resort to custom transfer sheets, mainly because I don't feel like ripping off any shoulder pads, especially on my painted models...

Any big plans on new units or are you just focusing equiping everyone with pads for now?

Holy crap brother, these are still sick. I would still like to do the bifrost/Norse spin on these guys. You know what, I think I will....in the future.

It's also an aspect I want to feature in my reboot. I want to show that Prism (Pochutec as I call their homeworld) has more than one predominant culture (Aztec and the Norse). That way I can legitimately add in Space Wolf heads and a few furs... laugh.png

Yeah Furioso, gotta make sure you finish those juggernauts msn-wink.gif

Nice to see you're still working on these guys Aquilanus. Those pads are indeed awesome! I myself will probably will resort to custom transfer sheets, mainly because I don't feel like ripping off any shoulder pads, especially on my painted models...

Any big plans on new units or are you just focusing equiping everyone with pads for now?

I looked at my current army and whilst I'm still pleased with what I have, the older models really do look old against the newer ones. I'll keep what I have and use them for situations where I need a lot of Tactical or Dev units. Unlikely that I will, unless I move to Apoc games, but considering that I still haven't played a Seventh ed game yet... As for specific units, I do want a lot more Assault squads (mainly so that I finish off the Company I nearly have smile.png ) I also need a lot more transport, so Rhinos, Razorbacks (although the RB's will be more for mobile weapon platforms than actual transport) and Land Raiders. I also want a Storm Raven smile.png Maybe further down the line a Knight as well, but that won't be until I have around 1-1.5k of the new army. I'm pondering on whether to buy FW Mark VI and use Mark VII GW models to denote Sergeants, but I'll have to cost that up.

Totally understand your reasoning for decals, but despite spending hours and hours practising, I could not get to a standard I was happy with sad.png So this is a better alternative. I have made white transfers for the RW, but as it's based on white paper than on celuose (can't print white), they came out too thick. I even tried just printing the outline and painted the white one, but they still came out shabby. I'll carry on trying. Maybe one day I won't suck laugh.png

This army is the only one that I truly had any fun making. Even my Steel Wings are a little bit of a drag at the moment sad.png Still better to put them to one side until I get the mojo for them back rather than to paint them out of guilt. Once I've painted a few of my BA/FT/Sons of Cruor units, it'll be back to these guys for certain happy.png

That's superb - cannot wait to see you cast it.

And then, your tutorial tongue.png

I have a week off just after new year, I hope to get some progress done then. I don't expect to get a perfect cast straight away though laugh.png

• 1 month later...

That's superb - cannot wait to see you cast it.

And then, your tutorial tongue.png

I have a week off just after new year, I hope to get some progress done then. I don't expect to get a perfect cast straight away though laugh.png

And nearly two months later.... dry.png

I finally got a chance to try this stuff happy.png Whilst the casts came out okay (one didn't come out as well as it could have, but as I said in the last post - I didn't expect it to be perfect first time), I've learnt a fair bit already.

Please take note: I do not condone the practice of casting for monetary gain, both as an individual, and as a Moderator of the B+C. The posts I make about casting are to help others who wish to try it out themselves, nothing more.

Okay, now that that is out of the way.

The stuff I'm using is this. Here are the molds:

med_gallery_51296_6652_797550.png

The one on the left turned out to be a little too close the the surface for some reason. Thinking about it, I think that the rubber pushed the shoulder guard a little too close to the top. I'm going to make two more later on and see if I can get better ones.

What they look out of the squash bottle caps:

med_gallery_51296_6652_724528.png

It doesn't take that long for them to set at all. In all it took about twenty minutes to half an hour.

med_gallery_51296_6652_1175585.png

med_gallery_51296_6652_699114.png

As you can see, there are imperfections on the cast. That is largely down to the greenstuff I used being well over two years old. The annoying thing is that I had made a trip to my local GW today and could have bought some new sad.png Oh well.

After seeing Acebaur's brilliant post on a way of painting white, I got this:

med_gallery_51296_6652_413124.png

It basically allows the paint to be painted more easily on models. I haven't tried it yet, but if it even makes painting fiddly colours less hassle, then I'll be happy.

I want to actually paint something before I go back to work (a whole week off and inevitably I got sidetracked by various things), so look out! laugh.png

Edit:

I remembered I'd put some more gs in the molds (one of which had split completely in half when I took it out. Oh well! laugh.png ). Whilst the gs is still rather soft, the casting is far better, even taking the flash into account:

med_gallery_51296_6652_1308862.png

med_gallery_51296_6652_82275.png

The shoulder guard on the right is from the mold that had split, hence the flash.

In both cases, the cast quality is far better. Very encouraging! happy.png

Archived