Jump Packs Disengaging from CC

pueriexdeus

I was playing a BA player Sunday I had first turn.

He had a unit of 5 Sanguinary Guard, w/Death masks. On turn one I lit them up with the Dreads Asss Cannon/SB (DPA), and turn two a Squad of Five DW DWA  and fired him up, killing two, then I tar-pitted him with the Dreadnaught killing two more. On his half of turn two his remaining one SG jumped away from CC telling me he was allowed to because he has Jump Packs, and did not need to take any wounds for failing combat because he's Fearless.

Can Jump Pack units now disengage from CC? And do Sanguinary disregard loosing CC by 5/1?

I'm of the opinion from 20+ years of playing 40K that this is all a figment of his imagination. Since we were not continuing the game due to time I did not try to argue the points.

**edit SP**

Losing wounds because of fearless/losing combat disappeared with 6th. Now you just keep fighting.

But you can't disengage just because you have a jump pack, you'd need "hit and run", and then only on a successful initiative test.

Normally "Our weapons are useless" would allow an opponent to intentionally fail a morale check, but Fearless models aren't even allowed to do that.

So he cheated, basically. There is no way he could disengage unless Dante was with the unit to give them "Hit and Run".

... or a unit to make a "hammer of wrath" charge in the assault phase.

Angelus is right of course. Hit and run allows you to disengage at the end of a round of combat if an initiative test is passed, but only if you have the special rule. Whilst fearless models cannot use the "our weapons are useless" rule to fall back.

So, yes... He cheated.

If something sounds odd, always always always ask to see the rule.

I tried to press him for the rule but he  kept referring to the BGB and Jump Packs falling back 3D6. I was not interested in an argument we were ending the game due to time constraints. Next time I'll bring my Ravenwing to the game and properly hit-and-run him to death.

@Brother_Angelus, thanks for the input regarding loosing wounds in 6th ed. Did not know they disappeared, and I'm familiar with the Jump Pack rules, I showed them to him, I was just unsure if the Sanguinary Guard had hit-and-run.

"Fall back 3d6" doesn't allow him to disengage from combat. It just means he falls back 3d6 instead of the standard 2d6 following a failed break test etc.

This guy sounds like a cheating git. I would refuse to play him personally.

Of course if you we're playing at a club/store then asking other players/staff for help/support often helps. Anyone that knows the rules will tell him to his face that he's a cheating git, and probably laugh at him. Humiliation of being caught might "encourage" him to change his ways.

If something sounds odd, always always always ask to see the rule.

This in a nutshell.

If he's playing by the rules, he won't mind you checking. He may be a little annoyed if it's the hundredth time someone has asked him, but he must also understand that not everyone is familiar with his rules, and if he wants a good game that this will happen and he has to comply.

If he refuses, then there's something up, refuse to move on until he shows you in the rules if he can do it. If he doesn't, you know he's most likely cheating, and then its your prerogative to either keep playing and take a moral victory out of it, call someone else other to mediate, or to just pack up your stuff and leave. I tend to go for option 2 most.

Archived