Dark Angel newbie needs a li'l help!

Krang!

Hello everyone.

This is my first post. I played 40k something like 20 years ago and now I am back. A lot of things have changed off course (one thing is that I'm 30 years old now and not 12 whistlingW.gif ).

Anyways. I'm starting to build an Dark Angels army (all miniatures from my childhood are gone or stowed away in the attic where I cant find them). So far I got one set of the Dark Vengeance 40k game box and I have also purchased 10 additional terminators and 16 space marines in power armor (all from Dark Vengeance box - I didn't get the additional heavy weapon marines or the sergeants) mainly because I got them cheap on eBay. I also picked up a devastator squad boxed set to boost my assault squads with heavy weapons and a Dark Angel upgrade frame to make additional veteran sergeants.

So, I am hoping you could perhaps help me with the following: a) what is "standard" army size now a days? I need to know what to aim for in order to be able to start gaming as soon as possible, and b ) what additional miniatures would you recommend for me to purchase in order to put together a well balanced standard size army? (Also any tips on how to arrange the models I already have into squads would be appreciated).

Thank you.

Welcome back to the game Krang! (Are you the alien bad-guy from TMNT?)

a ) I would say that most games played are between 1500 and 2000 points. A lot of tournaments seem to go for something in the middle, like 1750.

b ) Codex: Dark Angels, followed by whatever you think looks cool. A space marine command squad would enable you to use some of our sacred standards, a Deathwing command squad would do the same and you could model one of them as Belial to make those 15 DV terminators into troops, the Ravenwing battle force is nice, Ravenwing Black Knights appear to be very effective, I could go on...

Thanks for the fast reply. (Yeah I'm the TMNT alien bad guy, in grammar school the other kids called me "the brain" - and Krang is, like you know, just a brain tongue.png )

I got the codex already, forgot to write that.

So you think I should get some more HQ in the form of a command squad - either death wing or regular - and then whatever I think looks cool. I like that idea, I'm only afraid I might make some mistakes in not making the army well rounded enough on account of me not being that familiar with the rules any more. Im newb enough to miss something basic like anti-armour or anti-air capability.

What I think looks cool is basically regular space marine assault squads, but I already got three. What do you think of dedicated transports? And should I get more heavy support?

Thanks.

The usual numbers are 1500, 1750, 1850, and 2000.  You would have to check with your local game store for what their typical points level is.

I'd suggest some more Ravenwing.  The three you have from Dark Vengeance are really too small a squad to really be useful.  To be honest if you really like assault marines then Blood Angels are probably more your cup of tea.  Where Dark Angels really shine is in the terminators and bikers.

Ok thank you.

So from both your replies I gather that the "ravenwing battle force" might be a good next investment. I'll get those right away so that I can batch paint them with the three bikes I got.

@Cypher: I think I like assault marines just because they are so typical and iconic 40k for me :). I'm gonna stick with the Dark Angels, I can get used to terminators :p

Thanks.

A Land Raider of any variety makes a good centrepiece with the potential for anti-armour or heavy anti-infantry and is handy for zooming a squad of those Termies around or even your HQ and Command squad. 2 is better :devil:

I'd also pick up Azrael and a command squad to act as his Honour Guard, since he makes both Ravenwing & Deathwing scoring units who can take objectives.

Assault squads look cool and all but bikers outclass them in pretty much every way, especially Black Knights.

Rhinos and Razorbacks are essentially rolling tinfoil in 6th ed. and are more useful as moving cover than as transports.

Give your Devs Missile Launchers with flakk missiles for basic anti-air capability (you only get one in the box) and pick up another Dev box to spread among your Tacticals as well as providing the first Dev Squad with a second Missile Launcher, also means you have 2 Lascannons to go in the Dev squad for anti-armour.

A Librarian is also a good investment, but you should already have one from DV.

Thats about all that comes to mind :)

If you want rhinos (and they are useful) I suggest paying a little bit more for the razorback kit. With some clever modelling you can use the same model as either tank by swapping the top hatch.

Land Raiders are great for getting Deathwing across the board but they have the same problem with many other big threats like Vindicators.  Two is one and one is none.  A lone Land Raider tends to get popped pretty quickly

Thanks Razblood.

(I realize I actually meant tactical squads earlier when I wrote assault squads, sorry)

I was thinking of utilizing the dev squad I got to boost my tactical squads with miniatures, but you would recommend keeping them together as a dev squad and getting one additional dev squad?

Yup, I got the DV librarian.

I'd like to be able to claim being a veteran but I've been out of it for a while. Played Dark Angels originally then Eldar now back to DA.

One thing I can suugest to you from experience. Don't over do the HQ choices particularly named characters. Azrael sammael and Belial are good ones (if you like the models). a lot of people don't like the Belial model, I do, but it's personal choice.

Avoid jump packs like the plague on a HQ maybe but assault marines are utter tripe (my opinion).

For gaming terms I would stick to equipping devastators with all the same weapons and IMO flakk missiles aren't very good vs flyers.

Aegis Defence Line is good for everything if you want to play one.

Ravenwing are/have very good options IMO. Don't bother with the flyers in this codex. At present they aren't great.

Here's my opinion on everything. This is just MY opinion (gaming wise) so feel free to take any information a you want.

HQ

Azrael good Terminators and bikes = troops

Belial good terminators =troops

Sammael great = troops

Librarian (any variety but bike Is good) great because of cost.

Chaplains don't bother go for interrogator which is alright.

Commander can be useful but I wouldn't use one too often.

Tech marine is alright and cheap. Don't spring for servitors. They're a waste.

All command squads are good in their own way and the sacred standards are great Standard of Devastation is awesome for bolt guns

Troops

nothing much to say bog standard marines and scouts. Both are pretty good in their own ways.

Dedicated transports.

Rhino's are only good as cover.

Razorbacks can be useful to annoy people as they're perceived to be low priority. (Only 1 or 2 though)

Drop pods are alright if loaded up with the right unit. But I don't use them too often as you can't keep them in reserve to drop in at opportune moments.

Elites

Terminators!!! Lol.

Deathwing knights are really good in close combat but that's about it. Some argue otherwise due to low AP weapons.

Deathwing. Have many options lightning claws are now more viable due to AP2 weapons being less common. Thunder hammers and storm shields are v good. Storm bolters and powerfists are good I always spring for 1 chain fist. Cyclone missile launcher is the best weapon upgrade.

Veterans are a waste of time they're not like stern guard.

Dreadnoughts are alright. I've never been a fan except the ironclad armour 13 (which we don't have).

Fast attack.

Bikes are amazing.

Ravenwing attack squadron very good. Attack bikes count as scoring and act separately to the main squad. Always multi melta unless you have something planned.

Speeders are good. 5 speeders with 2 heavy bolters 300 points (cheap). Die easily.

Ravenwing knights are amazing in close and have twin linked 18" plasma guns.

Darkshroud is great ad only 80 points but must be used as support.

Assault squads are crap

Flyers aren't great. I'd avoid.

Heavy

Devastators are good and 4 las cannons 80 points. Plus sarg can man Icarus las cannon on aegis defence line. Extra guys should be considered only as extra wounds to keep you guns alive

Predators are good but dot go overboard with the weapons

Whirlwind is good and cheap

Vindicates are powerful but die like instantly. Don't bother unless you want to distract a the opponent.

Land raiders are good but they tend to get destroyed early on. Don't take as dedicated transports unless you want to. They cost 30 points more.

Land speeder vengeance is alright but short range. It will kill stuff if it survives long enough to.

Bare in mind vehicles in this edition die at the drop of a hat due to glacing hits.

I hope I helped

You can never have enough terminators, honestly.

With belial/azrael leading the way you could literally field 120 scoring terminators, 60 deathwing knights, and command squads for fun. But that of course is massive scale games leaning towards apoc games.

My rule of thumb is three bikes for every 5 terminators for a nice dual wing list.

Thanks Razblood.

(I realize I actually meant tactical squads earlier when I wrote assault squads, sorry)

I was thinking of utilizing the dev squad I got to boost my tactical squads with miniatures, but you would recommend keeping them together as a dev squad and getting one additional dev squad?

Yup, I got the DV librarian.

Yes I'd recommend getting a second Dev squad and keeping one of them as a Dev squad, especially as outside of fortifications they are the only real anti-air you can get :)

Archived