Soulgrinder

Nehekhare

Could someone with a rulebook please take a look:

Do Soulgrinders have anything to mitigate vehicle damage results, like extra armor or daemonic possession?

Does it get it will not die?

How does it resolve instability?

Are there vehicle upgrades in the new daemon codex?

Dont forget to mark it for nugle and stick him in a house. 2+ cover is always fun on AV 13 I imagine. (Also daemon if you need that 5+ inv)

Yep, Daemon of Nurgle and ADL. Add in the Phlegm upgrade and you have a guy that is immovable via shooting. Also for a fair amount less than 200pts.

I wonder if the Soulgrinder will become the defacto automatic choice for HS and an auto include in every Daemon list?

Who is going to take Daemon Prince as Heavy over a Nurgle Soulgrinder?

Yeah, no idea. I cant really see a true reason to not run one, they are so efficient point wise for what they do.

Dont forget to mark it for nugle and stick him in a house. 2+ cover is always fun on AV 13 I imagine. (Also daemon if you need that 5+ inv)

Yep, Daemon of Nurgle and ADL. Add in the Phlegm upgrade and you have a guy that is immovable via shooting. Also for a fair amount less than 200pts.

Maybe.. I not sure the ADL covers 25% of him. Havnt looked.

If the line doesn't the gun will.

Hm, I can't find anything that would prevent a soulgrinder of Nurgle from using an ADL-mounted Quadgun...so you'd have an AV13/5++/2+cover/possessed/def grenades walker (even scoring in the big guns never tire mission) with 7 (4 TL) S7AP4 flakk shots for 250pts. Quite a bunker!

Here's something else, with the current RAW for skyfire, using Harvester Flakk shells give Warp Gaze skyfire also.

Daemon of Slaanesh gives all the range weapons rending too. 

True about rending, but "a model that [...] is firing a weapon with this special rule" arguably does not apply when the model is firing another weapon. I wouldn't count on it ;)

If the line doesn't the gun will.

Hm, I can't find anything that would prevent a soulgrinder of Nurgle from using an ADL-mounted Quadgun...so you'd have an AV13/5++/2+cover/possessed/def grenades walker (even scoring in the big guns never tire mission) with 7 (4 TL) S7AP4 flakk shots for 250pts. Quite a bunker!

>Here's something else, with the current RAW for skyfire, using Harvester Flakk shells give Warp Gaze skyfire also.

Daemon of Slaanesh gives all the range weapons rending too.

True about rending, but "a model that [...] is firing a weapon with this special rule" arguably does not apply when the model is firing another weapon. I wouldn't count on it msn-wink.gif

Yeah, I'm not sure where people are getting this idea from. The Soulgrinder doesn't have Skyfire, it is firing a weapon that has Skyfire. Skyfire rule says:

A model with this special rule, or that is firing a weapon with this special rule, fires using its normal Ballistic Skill when shooting at Flyers, Flying Monstrous

Creatures and Skimmers

So when it is firing a weapon with Skyfire it has Skyfire, when it isn't it hasn't.

The expense of DoN and DoS make me consider the other options.

I'm tempted by DoTz for a cheap durability upgrade that doesn't rely on me standing behind cover nor does it cost me my ability to run or overwatch.

So when it is firing a weapon with Skyfire it has Skyfire, when it isn't it hasn't.

I think the Arguement is that a units shoting (bar split fire) is all simultaneous.

So when you're 'firing a weapon with the skyfire rule' and using your full BS, you do so with every weapon you fire.  As you're doing do at the same time.

Not something I really have any desire to debate though. ;)

Apart from the "obvious" Nurgle one in cover and phlegm, I have (since I have a nightlords painted Defiler but without legion insignia, it pretty much looks Tzeentchy enough for good  tzeentch soulgrinder proxy) considered a cheaper tzeentchian one with the torrent upgrade. Maybe deepstrike it in turn 2-3, maybe walk it, depends on list I guess and I am not sure etc. Honestly, the only reason why I am considering this, is that I am a sad Chaos player that do not yet own a helldrake, so burning brands and torrent upgrades from the daemon dex is of particular note to me when I build lists. Eh, really need to order a heldrake, assemble it and paint it one of these days..

I'm not impressed with the phlegm anymore since they made it ordnance. Now you're snap firing your improved harvester.

It's true DoN and phlegm gives you an improved defiler in almost everyway (poor deffie..) but my gut still stays its too expensive. I see the 'Grinder more as an improved dreadnought. Khorne and Slaanesh both buff its assault power, so I'd leave the extra guns at home. That said, I'd leave the warpsword at home as well, I don't see the value in it at all. Nurgle might as well be static, so taking an additional gun isn't a bad thing beyond the points you're going to spend on it.

Tzeentch is cheap and flexible, which I like on an already cheap(ish) and flexible unit.

I'm not impressed with the phlegm anymore since they made it ordnance. Now you're snap firing your improved harvester.

Actually - you are snap firing your harvester anyway, since it has skyfire and not intercept. I just realized this today, but anything you shoot on the ground, you will be snap shooting, and you can't shoot phlem at aircraft (because you can't hit zooming aircraft with templates)

Actually - you are snap firing your harvester anyway, since it has skyfire and not intercept. I just realized this today, but anything you shoot on the ground, you will be snap shooting, and you can't shoot phlem at aircraft (because you can't hit zooming aircraft with templates)

The Harvester has 2 different profiles it can use, one of which has Skyfire. If it it using the one without Skyfire, then it will hardly snapfire on groundtargets unless you are using the phlegm ordnance, in which case it is correct.

The Harvester has 2 different profiles it can use, one of which has Skyfire. If it it using the one without Skyfire, then it will hardly snapfire on groundtargets unless you are using the phlegm ordnance, in which case it is correct.

You're right, I forgot that there were 2 profiles.

• 2 weeks later...

Played a game with a Nurgle Soulgrinder last night. Definitely not a high point in my gaming career. In 3 shooting phases plus one Overwatch it failed to inflict a single wound or glancing hit then died in assault before striking a blow.

Was one of those nights!

Played a game with a Nurgle Soulgrinder last night. Definitely not a high point in my gaming career. In 3 shooting phases plus one Overwatch it failed to inflict a single wound or glancing hit then died in assault before striking a blow.

Was one of those nights!

LOL!

Sounds like one of my recent bloodbowl matches where I managed to get two chaos warriors killed, one out Badly hurt, and one linesman beastman out with a fractured knee.

In retrospect though, such gaming experiences can indeed be pretty entertaining and serve as good laughs, lol (as long as it is not too common an occurance obviously)

I'm of the opinion that Nurgle + Plegm is over rated.  I prefer Slaanesh (for fleet and extra speed in running) + torrent.  Soul griders are a good CC unit, and giving that up just for 1 S8 blast per turn seems like a waste.  Being Nurgle means you essentially will always sit back as you forgo the ability to run, and forgo the abilty to sweep in combat. (Which means anything that cannot hurt you just runs away.)

Archived