Considering the puppies

undeadfilth

I'm considering starting up a space wolves army for one simple fact: I want to run as close as possible to a classic nordic warrior force as possible. Of course, power armour was not around then:P but you get the idea. I was thinking something like a massive footsoldier army that just charges headlong into their foes to tear them apart. I want no guns or ranged weapons, just swords axes and shields. Does this sound feasible or stupid? I don't plan on this being competitive or anything, just a fun 2.5k force for me to have fun painting and converting(a lot). Any suggestions on how I can go about this or even cool modelling ideas/advice since I've never played space pups before would be great. Thanks:)

Hrm... I see two possibilities here. Neither is super competitive, but that's not really what you're going for.

Option 1) Lots and Lots of Blood Claws. Sure, they've got bolt pistols, but this is probably the best fit for the huge mob of power armored warriors screaming and charging. If you really want axes and shields and swords, just model them with something else in their offhand and don's shoot their pistols.

Option 2) Logan Wing. Obviously, this requires taking Logan Grimnar. This let's you take Wolf Guard as troops- And Wolf guard can take 2 Power weapons/ A power weapon and a storm shield, which is what you're going for. The down side is that this ends up being incredibly expensive point for point.

Really, I'm not sure how easy it is to do this, as there's no real good representation for a shield short of the incredibly expensive storm shield.

You could do it, but as said above, you might struggle. But, it can be done, and might even be fun. However, I would suggest enjoying the short range guns we get as well. 

If you want to focus on close combat, you can make a couple units of TWC, Logan, and as many Wolf Guard terminators as you can manage. The trouble, of course, is getting to the other side of the board before Lascannon fire and rolling 1s on Armor Saves actually  kills your guys off. 

Drop Pods can help with this, as can Land Raider tanks (I don't know, glue a bunch of round shields to the side to look like a tank version of a longship or something). 

All of our basic troops, however, come with guns as standard equipment. That's a big part of 40k - shooting. 

Well for a properly classic force you are much better off with fantasy. However if you want to use more of the spirit and character then I would recommend a highly mobile force using Rhinos and Land Raiders with mounted Blood Claws, Grey Hunters and Wolf Guard that rapidly closes, engages, and then withdraws, led by some characterful individuals.

Just looking for the closest I can get to that idea. The bolt pistols shouldn't be a problem since standard issue wargear doesn't have to be represented on the model. I'm thinking that using some fantasy bits might help me get the look I'm looking for, though, I'm not sure if there is a good nordic styled fantasy army... Anyways, I need to pick up their codex, might help me brainstorm more. I kind of don't want to use vehicles, though I am thinking of modelling longfangs manning ballitas or something:P I'm really excited for this project:)

Just looking for the closest I can get to that idea. The bolt pistols shouldn't be a problem since standard issue wargear doesn't have to be represented on the model. I'm thinking that using some fantasy bits might help me get the look I'm looking for, though, I'm not sure if there is a good nordic styled fantasy army... Anyways, I need to pick up their codex, might help me brainstorm more. I kind of don't want to use vehicles, though I am thinking of modelling longfangs manning ballitas or something:P I'm really excited for this project:)

Warriors of Chaos Marauders:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440109a&prodId=prod1040523

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440109a&prodId=prod1560029

I like that infantry box! Lots of nice bits looks like:) I actually have some of the marauder cavalry(built a vamp counts army and a warriors of chaos cavalry army a couple years back before I gave up on fantasy because I can't stand the system). I'll have to dig them and their bits out and cannibalize them:P Thanks! Any other recommendations? I remember seeing space wolves riding on wolves like cavalry men and am on the fence as to whether or not those would be okay to allow into my themed army...

I was thinking something like a massive footsoldier army that just charges headlong into their foes to tear them apart.

Just saying that is not very classic nordman. all of them were known for extensive use of ambush tactics , flanking , fast redeployments etc. Maybe your thinking more about Franks , but their were rather shoty in their time .

i like your idea, im trying to base my wolves loosely around the ancient british tribes (they fit in pretty well with the lore)

why not try a wolf scout based army? lighter armour but you can give them loads of cool weapons and they can use the ambush and outflanking style tactics, plus you can probably model them more viking like

also wolfguard pack leaders are a good way to go i think, having champion style models in all of the units

in terms of modelling i would go for the chaos warriors box myself, they are really nice for conversions

Archived