With perils so bad, isn't Huron at a disadvantage?

Trevak Dal

and its not like we are taking him for the psychic powers or even cast them at all.

It's rare that I agree with Jeske, so I felt the need to comment because he's right.  You don't take Huron for his psychic powers (and if you do, I've got some beach-front property in Montana to sell you), and due to their entirely random nature, there's a good chance you're not going to get a power that is really worth casting some times.

I generally find his powers useful to my army. As awesome as the tree can be, the least useful to my play style is actually Pyromancy. Almost everything else from the other trees he has access to are fantastic. Having said that, I do not take him BECAUSE he's a psyker. That's what Sorcerers are for. Also, maybe I'm just lucky with him, but I've only ever rolled perils on him twice, and neither has resulted in his death on the spot. 

Fun related side story, I recently got pounded by some tournament level Black Templar. Super fun game even though I was crushed. (though we found out he had like 4 units with 1 man left in each o_O) Ended up having Huron go 4 full turns (8 rounds) with the Emperor's Champion. Crazy rolls abounded on both sides. In all that time, 1 unsaved wound was dealt to each character, and about a dozen BT, including the High Marshall, were watching. 

As awesome as the tree can be, the least useful to my play style is actually Pyromancy.

I don't think I've ever heard a single good thing about pyromancy, molten beam aside. People use it? It always looks to me like it relies way too heavily on soul blaze.

I've never fielded an actual Pyrocaster (Sorcere with Pyromancy Spells), but I've knack for rolling 2's on d3 for Huron's schools. Suprisingly, 4/5 times he has a pyro spell, it is woth casting. Only 5th spell (SUnburst) is very situational, the rest however are ok.

- buffing strenght on Huron is never a bad thing (the inv part is redundant)

- giving cover and potential extra 2d6 hits in CC wit I10 is golden

- small plast with pretty good range and ignore cover is passable

- Spontaneus Combustion is fun, eaven if it is a focussed whichfire

All in all Pyromancy isn't bad per se, Biomancy and Telepathy have more shiny spells.

Since i got huron ive ran him in every game ive played my  corsairs. hes just so fun. the look on people faces when you randomly pull out powers like combustion or forwarning  gives me  sustenance. hell last game he played in hi decimated a sisters/dark angel alliance, wiping a ravenwing bike squad in one move (got to love spontanius combustion) so what it you fail a test, that's the fun. its  insane randomness is the hallmark of chaos in its self.  embrace the madness lol

Archived