Zurcas

Hi guys, 
I'm a begginer to 40k and dark angels and i have some questions about interesting circumstance in my army. So I got given a ironclad dreadnought from a friend for my birthday (with hurricane bolter and seismic hammer) now myself and said friend then went and split the new dark vengeance box with me taking the angels. Now upon reading the dark angels codex (which I love ) i realise that my specific dread wasn't actually included so my question for the forum is simple , Based on the weapons my dread is equipped with what would you personally be the most comfortable with it counting as ? i.e heavy bolter and close combat weapon etc...  Also if you wouldn't care if I ran it using the rules is the vanilla marines codex ? I ask these out of curiosity and so my friend and i can come to a fair agreement :) 
thanks for your replies and have a good day !

Well, one thing you could do (if you could round up 5 more tac marines) is ally in nilla 'rines. Run one of the hq you got from DV as nilla, pick up some troop somewhere, and bob's your uncle you can run te iron clad legit.

Your options if you want to play with the DA codex are:

-Proxie it to be a regular/ven dread with simmilar load out (assault cannon / pf etc). Some die hards might not allow this.

-Ally some vanilla space marines and use it as is. Nobody can tell you anything since this is legal, only thing is you handycap your overall points for no reason due to nilla H.Q. and troops been somewhat more expensive.

-Switch its arms if you can and load it with something from the DA codex and run it as a regular / ven dread. And thats what I would do to be honest.

Something to remeber: In games with your friends logic dectates that there wont be a problem to use it however both of you decide.

Playing with strangers in a game store generally wont earn you any favours (unless you play with me but we probably have a couple of countries between us).

If you are dedicated to play DA, IMHO just swap the Hurricane arm. The other is 'just a fancy DCCW'.

• 2 months later...

Zurcas,

Not much else new to add that hasn't been said. Starting new I assume you probably don't have a lot to spend on everything that you want so I do have a recommendation. It seems you will be playing with a friend to start. If this is the case this would be perfect for "proxy" of your model. Each game try a different load out of weapons. Just write down what the load out is and be very clear to your opponent and be ready to answer the "what is it carrying again?" question a million times. Try each loud out many times if you can get that many games in (at least three each load out) so you can see how it does i.e. Assault cannon vs. Armor or Hordes or Termi type troops. Multi Melta is pretty much Anti Armor so I wouldn't use it against anything else except an MC if you don't have armor. Anyway you get the point that is what I did and found my two favorite load outs are Assault Cannon and HF under the DCCW or a Lascannon with same DCCW and HF. The Las works well for a sit back and shoot or walk forward with the range and all. Assault cannon has just enough for a nice standoff range (hard for the enemy to get the charge at 24" unless cav or some kind of jump infantry) For multi melta I keep the dread cheap because I'm going to drop pod him in and have him kill a tank and then he's probably going to die since a. your opponent will be pissed losing a good vehicle b. its right in the middle of all your opponents units and AV12 isn't that hard to kill when real effort is put in. Plasma Cannon is great for Termi's but remember if it gets hot it will take a hull point off the dread. Some people like it some love it others hate it. I've had PC's work great and also have them all blow up one turn. Luck of the dice and all that. Plus DA can have PC on terminators if you want as well.

So incredibly long winded version of take it as a Vanilla allies or do the counts as like you said but recommend with friends  until you can figure out what you want it to be then by the arm off of a bits store or Forge world when you get the cash.

DoC Sgt

No problem and that's what I ended up doing. Good luck let us know how it goes and what you decide on. Don't forget to keep your Army list fairly similar before you decide. A lot of people try something, have a bad day and never try it again. Sometimes its bad dice and sometimes it's how it does synergy wise with your army.

Archived