Help with Builds: BA

KnightOfBAAL

ok i need help from anyone willing to give some advice to a rookie in 40k

I hvae played high elves for the past 3 years and built a good amy idk how i just understand them but i wanted to try 40k so i went online and read all the fluff and learned about the armies and decided on Blood Angels #thanksminiwargaming.com

anyway i have 2x10 tactical squads wwith 2 meltas a flamer and a rocket. i have one death company and 8 assault marines (i took spare parts from friends) with a power fist and hopefully 2 meltas, vehicles 1 rhino (why? to get a squad to the other side yesterday and to hurt something)

besides this im lost i have no idea where to go next or what to buy

best help would be HQ and anything else willing to be offerd please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Blood Angels! The best stuff to acquire is stuff that goes to our strengths: fast moving stuff.

For HQ you have a couple of decent choices: Librarian, Reclusiarch, or if you want a named HQ, maybe Mephiston (or Astorath if you know you want to have more than one Death Company squad). Whichever you take, make sure you give them a jump pack (or get a character who already has one).

Getting more Assault guys is also a good idea. Then I would try getting either some landspeeders or attack bikes (multimelta is best), or maybe Baal Predators. If you want to play competitively then you'll also need a Stormraven for sure.

It all depends though on who you're playing with and how you want to play. Look through the codex, find out what looks cool and might be fun to play with, test your guys out in some games, try to find other BA players that you can watch (or watch battle reports on youtube), check out BA lists here, etc.

If you have enough money, you can always get a little bit of everything, allowing you flexibility each time you play. I like my Blood Angels because I have enough stuff to do a different themed army each time depending on my mood. For example, sometimes I'll do an army that's super fast moving (i.e. all troops have jump packs, fast tanks, bikes, speeders, etc.) while other times I just want to have massive amounts of firepower (predators, devastators, boltgun Death Co. or Tacticals, Sternguard), or once in a while I just want a few hard hitting units trying to take on an enemy that massively outnumbers them (TH/SS Terminators, Death Company blob, Mephiston, etc.).

In any case, variety is always good!

ok thanks for the advice and here is the lsit ive come up with for 1000

HQ librarian with jumppack: 125

Priest with power axe and jumppack: 90

2x10 assault squads with 2 multimeltas in each and a power fist and shield for sarge: 480

3 attack bikes 2with multimeltas: 140

and a baal predator with heavy bolter sponsons and a storm bolter :155 

or i replace the predator with a devestator squad with 2 heavy bolters and 2 lascannons: 170

with the sarge having a combi plasma

any comments on what you think????

Looks like a good list to start with. I might switch the 2 meltas for 2 flamers in one of the Assault Squads, since you already have some anti-tank stuff, depends on what army you're playing though. And I would get rid of 10 pts from somewhere (maybe get rid of the storm bolter on the baal) and give the third attack bike a MM as well.

I think the Baal Predator works better with your list. But try it out and see what works/is more fun!

• 2 weeks later...

ok My current Army list is 

HQ

Mephiston

2 Priests with Jumppacks

10 Death company with powe weapons and jumppacks 

2 squads of assault marines with melta's 

Furioso Dread Librarian

2 attack bikes with miltimelta's

2 predators with lascannon sponsons

2 vindicators with siege shields (shields are more for looks)

Stormraven with hurricane bolter sponsons

Any thoughrts????

ok My current Army list is 

HQ

Mephiston

2 Priests with Jumppacks

10 Death company with powe weapons and jumppacks 

2 squads of assault marines with melta's 

Furioso Dread Librarian

2 attack bikes with miltimelta's

2 predators with lascannon sponsons

2 vindicators with siege shields (shields are more for looks)

Stormraven with hurricane bolter sponsons

Any thoughrts????

Here you have 5x heavy support choices: the preds, vindis and SR, so you'll have to cut down on those. Personally, I think the vindis should go. Your army is based around the fast moving assault troops in the assault squads, death company and mephiston. Therefore, you likely wont be shooting the vindi in the later turns, because you'll be worried about hitting your own troops. 

oh, and I don't know your plan with mephiston, but if you are facing a list with good psychic defense ( such as SW, or eldar ), try putting him in the SR. That means he won't have to risk not getting wings off, and being stranded in the open. 

hope that helps

Archived