Ultramarines, Strength and Honour.

MagicMan

I've decided to start a new thread to track the development of my Ultramarines army, I did originally start a thread to track the progress of a Tactical squad, but ended up getting distracted by just about every other un-painted model in my collection!

So to keep some focus, and hopefully motivate myself, i thought i'd start fresh.

My marines are from the Second Company, but i'll be creating my own Captain/Characters etc, as im not a fan of Cato Sicarius and i'd like to give them my own feel. I like the second company purely for their gold shoulder-trim.. They just look like Ultramarines should in my opinion.

Ive got a few models done already, so to start things off, a teaser of things to come...

gallery_58164_8263_45524.jpg

And the first proper model of this WIP thread, Codicier Tiberius.

gallery_58164_8263_122935.jpg

Sorry for the lack of excitement, hopefully i can have the Librarian at least half finished tonight. If i don't get distracted by those terminators...

Wow thanks guys, wasn't expecting so many replies. smile.png

@War Angel,

He's not that tall because he's leaning pretty far forward, but he's definitely bulky. There's a slight extension between his torso and waist, and the wrist shield/slung helmet and large head make him look even bigger. Its the old sergeant head, and its a little bigger than most of the ones we have now. But i liked it so i used it anyway...

Anyway, since last time i pretty much just posted finished mini's, i'm trying to keep this one more WIP with more in progress shots. So here's Tiberius with some basic colours blocked in. Takes a while when you're watching Gladiator. msn-wink.gif

gallery_58164_8263_191914.jpg

Im going to start on his face next. Im aiming to give him a somewhat sickly palour. That combined with the reclaimed sword that has spent some time in archenemy hands will hopefully add a little to the character of the model.

I'm still excited. :)

You're a great painter and I'm looking forward to watching this log grow. Totally understand the whole reluctance to include named characters like Sicarius and his lot. You see him all over the place, whether it's in the lore or on the table top. At some point the dude just needs to go away, he's a troll. Anyways... it'll be interesting to see who his replacement will be. Very nice start on the Librarian. 

Thanks guys!

Heres a quick update, ive basically just carried on with the major colours a little last night, and almost finished the face.

Ive tried to make his eye glow, hopefully it looks that way rather than just a black eye with a cataract. :P It'll hopefully look better when his swords done, as ill be using the same colour.

Really wish he didn't have a bionic eye. Its hard to figure out a colour to paint it without detracting attention from the rest of his face... Any suggestions?

gallery_58164_8263_30506.jpg

gallery_58164_8263_84007.jpg

Cheers dudes, ive kept the eye green, just added more of a lense highlight. :)

Ive got most of the detail colours blocked in now, and im really happy with how he's coming along. I was starting to dislike the amount of bone colour, with the scrolls, seals, robes and book (which is why the Librarian symbol is painted in gold) but the details are breaking it up fairly nicely. He should be finished by the next update!

gallery_58164_8263_61948.jpg

For those who're bored of Tiberius, heres a WIP member of the unit he'll be leading, been dabbling while Tiberius' paint dries. Its been a while since ive painted white and it shows, haha.

gallery_58164_8263_168919.jpg

Cheers guys!

@ Warrior Fish,

The blue is Enchanted Blue, with Space Wolves grey mixed in for the highlights. Most of my paint pots are super old (Kept alive by paint thinner) so im not sure what the relevant colours are now.

Ive bought some Maccrage blue to try out but i haven't managed it yet, haha.

Anyway, heres the last update before being completely finished. Basically, im not happy with the sword at all, so im going to carry on work with the Terminators until i can paint the sword in a way that im pleased with. Then i'll go back and add weathering/finishing touches to Tiberius. Need to figure out how to wet-blend, i think....

gallery_58164_8263_26491.jpg

Well i've had a bit of a fiddle, and for now, im happy with the sword! :D

I think i could do alot better with a different colour, maybe blue, purple was a little tough for my first try. It turns pink too quickly, and not many marines want a pink beatstick...

gallery_58164_8263_164508.jpg

Fancy pose collage,

gallery_58164_8263_22584.jpg

Tiberius with chums!

gallery_58164_8263_101292.jpg

Im tempted to finish that Tactical squad for him to lead, or get cracking on the Terminators. Any preferences?

Ive just made my first Forgeworld order to grab a few nice bits for my Captain. Actually fairly excited, so that'll be on this blog soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow thanks War Angel. High praise indeed, i was pretty happy with how he turned out.

Quick teaser of my upcoming Captain...

All who threaten Ultramar will perish, under my blade, or under the fury of my warriors...

gallery_58164_8263_114641.jpg

Oooof. Pictures are a bit big, anyone know a decent (hopefully free) picture editing program?

Cheers mate, grabbed GIMP. Seems to work.

Well heres a quick update. Not much but progress is progress, hopefully the next time i post he'll be finished! Can't figure out which head i want to use though, hah.

gallery_58164_8263_348217.jpg

Archived