Ultramarines, Strength and Honour.

MagicMan

Wow. love paintjob on the librarian.Adds some sebse of motion to it. Also i d like to ask what paets have u used for the legs of your cpt. it looks great. Keep up the good work

Varred

This will be the last update before the finished article, promise! This guy would have been a nightmare to paint unn-assembled, due to the pose, hence ive been painting him in stages.

Just wanted to get some reactions on the helmet. I like it, but im not 100% sure. Im still painting the un-helmed version atm. :)

gallery_58164_8263_83376.jpg

And cheers for the kind words guys!

@ Razblood

The libbys blade is a bit of a stand in atm, i think ive improved my technique, hopefully will get to show it off with the cap'ns sword. ;) Then ill go back to him if it works out nicely.

@ Varred

The paints ive used are Enchanted Blue, mixed with Space Wolf Grey. Not sure what these colours would be now, sorry. Im a bit of a paint mixer, can be a pain when painting a consistent army... lol

I love these guys. Ultramarines done right, and they look suitably grim and gritty.

I don't like the Anvil helmet (it is Anvil, right?). Either unhelmed, or a more ornate helm, would be suitable. It looks too close to an Honour Guard helm for what he's intended to be. Was much keener on the original unhelmed head you posted. Otherwise, he looks like he's gonna shape up to be brilliant.

Arkhan

he looks awesome, although if i were you i'd rather pick the bare headed version. Also my concern is his right arm. what is he intended to do with it? but maybe thats just me.

Cheers Varred

ps. sorry if my spelling is bad but i type it from Android so i can missclick sth.

Hah, mixed reactions on the helm! Im un-decided too, tbh. I think it might be a blue-tac job for the moment.

Works been hectic so only got a chance to finish him this morning.

Well, tell me what you guys think now that he's finished.

gallery_58164_8263_97276.jpggallery_58164_8263_90588.jpg

gallery_58164_8263_69954.jpg

As usual, i ended up rushing him a bit when it came to the end, but i feel im getting better at painting marines in general. Really happy with the sword, and the face in particular. One thing i might add is a free hand thingy on his knee-pad. Not sure atm, there aren't a lot of good freehand surfaces on this model.

The base did have a sweet marble effect going, which i promptly ruined with a wash, and im not re-doing it. sad.png Lol. The Ultra symbol too came out more poorly than i expected, but ill need to practice painting half covered symbols before i have another crack at it.

Hope you like him anyway.

Edit: Got some less obnoxious picture sizes. Really need to remember that step, lol.

Yup, that face is out of this world brilliant. No contest.

Interestingly, the gold looks a bit, and forgive me, flat compared with the rest of him.

Sadly I have no recommendations, I am never happy with my golds!

Keep up the work though brother, really fantastic!

Excellent work, though I must say that the armour is quite dark. A bit too dark for an Ultramarine, if you ask me. However, your painting technique is definitely improving :tu:

Oh, and I'm personally not a fan of the helmet either. Seriously, you've done such a great job on the bare head, why replace it with a helmet? :)

Thanks guys!

@ Rider,

The gold is a little less flat in real life. I think improving my camera skills would help! But it could use another highlight, maybe of silver. Thanks for the crit.

@ Ludovic,

Thanks mate! Its funny, now that you've said that i put him next to my Tactical Squad and i have painted him a little darker than the others. Doh! sad.png

And yeah, im thinking ill go with the bare head. smile.png Though i like the helmet, the bare head gives a better focal point for the mini.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome work, I'm actually going to 'borrow' some of your ideas for a Captain and Company Champion I'm building "soon".

The bare head gives your Captain a personality where as the Helm makes him look a little bit like an Honour Guard or so, perhaps if he had a cape the helmet might work.

Archived