Faros Thule, Sons of Medusa Tactical Squad Sergeant

Fireant

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vwjRJl5MYk4/UUDKu36_82I/AAAAAAAABjY/xdzFS4RGucI/s1600/bannah.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-75p2ZJzz7Rw/UUDKvFDPtoI/AAAAAAAABjk/npR78DiqUtE/s1600/fin2.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5eGo175GO1c/UUDKv8mSyMI/AAAAAAAABjs/vxRJx-80aO0/s1600/fin4.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BaEBZxa-Zbs/UUDKvzLBgLI/AAAAAAAABj0/LS897VHjzDY/s1600/fin5.jpg

I must say – I am quite content. Sure, I am fully aware that it is still far away form a professional level and that in a few places the paintjob is not too sharp, hastened, that I could easily spend some extra time on sharpening the details or work on the smoothness of the blending on the armor, but with all due honesty the work on this model was a bit of a… Dichotomy? On one side Sons of Medusa color scheme speaks to me and I enjoyed painting this particular marine like a candy, and even now I can’t wait to see a whole 10-people squad with a Rhino painted in this colors, but on the other hand this particular sergeant was my dummy for testing various color schemes for last half year – he was in a horrible state! Cut, not cleaned, glued and snapped back dozens of times… And so he did not provide a smooth surfaces to pain on. Luckily the next ten tacticals are fresh out of the box and I will really clean and polish them up well before painting them smoothly.

Sons of Medusa I picked because of a few reasons – I wanted to collect an ‘official’ chapter, one that have solid contacts with Adeptus Mechanicus, enjoy their techmarines and dreadnaughts and can praise themselves for possession of every possible tech avaliable to the imperium of mankind without a silly straining on the chapter backstory, and in accord to the ‘Badab War’ bookf from Forge World it seems that Sons of Meduza have it all. Sweet! And, to add to that, I am a bit of a hipster when it comes to painting and I want to have a chapter that is not often spotted on the gaming tables.

The model bas is simple – a regular debris covered in grey, concrete dust with a few pieces of tore apart and smoked net.  For basic troops I do not intend to construct anything more complicated than that, especially considering that this Marines are going to be played, and not only displayed on the shelf. What is not really too visible on the photos, due to the flash, is the solid use of dry pigment to dust the lower regions of the miniature legs come from travelling in a ruined urbanscape.

Not bad at all.  Some notes-

The bone shoulder is proper weathered, and looks good.  The green looks like it isn't weathered.  It looks kind of smudged.here and there, but not weathered.  It may work on bone, but for green you should try to weather with a color other than another green.  Sticking with a dark brown throughout the whole model would look better.

The pasty blood spatter on teh sword is fun.  But I'd put a few flecks of blood on the guy himself to really sell it.

You missed the skull on his backpack.

Not bad at all.  Some notes-

The bone shoulder is proper weathered, and looks good.  The green looks like it isn't weathered.  It looks kind of smudged.here and there, but not weathered.  It may work on bone, but for green you should try to weather with a color other than another green.  Sticking with a dark brown throughout the whole model would look better.

The pasty blood spatter on teh sword is fun.  But I'd put a few flecks of blood on the guy himself to really sell it.

You missed the skull on his backpack.

Thanks for the notes! They might come in handy, but the thing is I am not truly sold on the idea of weathering this marines the good ol 'chips and scratches' way - since the chapter have an army of servitors, best forges and a huge band of Techmarines I assume, that even if they experiance some heavy fighting, they are quickly repaired and maintaned to a top condition between battles. The weathering and overall mood I want to set for the army would be... Rainmarks. On the white pad the rusty streaks come from the iron nubs and strike down as the rain and dripping water should. Sadly, to do the thin rainstreaks on the body I need my dark green grime streaks from AK-Interactive and I am still waiting on the package to arrive. For now the only actual weathering the model got is a thin layer of dry pigment dusting on the lower regions of the legs - the streaks of rain I will add when I will get the pot with the proper thing to apply them ;)

True about the blood XD I made the chainsword look like it done some heavy gnawing on some poor soul and not even a spec touched his armour, gosh, they are really superb warriors... Will amend that with a bit of spongework!

Skull on the backback /is/ actually painted with a dark silver metallic - it's the angle of the photo that shade the region and make it as dark as the black of the backpack I reckon.

Thanks for the crits and comment!

On the weathering, I'm not thinking chips and bits. I am thinking dirt and grime. Fancy artificers are nice, but they won't be stopping to polish they're armor between every charge. That's what the streaks on the shoulder looked like to me, though given the base, streaking/mud/grime should be grays and not browns. Just working some black into the recesses and fading slightly outward into a light gray around the parts likely to get dirty (feet and knees, mostly) would work well enough.

Or you could just pick up an ash gray pot of weathering powder, if you got a few extra bucks to spare.

Archived