The Gates of Terra

IIRC the battle of Terra featured a number of loyalist legions such as Ultramarines (very small number, think honour guard kind of small), I'm sure I read that after the battle the armour from these fallen warriors was collected and attached to a huge collum at Palace.

Too protagonism for the Ultramarines in the HH lately (Calth, Shadow Crusade, New Empire). Battle of Terra should be the place for the Imperial Fists, Blood Angels and White Scars to shine. Anyway for what it seems the story isn't what it looks like... http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/272933-new-hh-short-in-bl/

yeh from what I gather the "Gates of Terra" aren't the literal gates to the palace.

As far as I can remember the Ultras never were at Terra but of course little of the old established fluff can be taken as watertight anymore. ADB explained it quite nicely somewhere: when you think about it the legions were beyond huge and had marines spread out all over the galaxy. Just because the bulk of the Ultras weren't at Terra, we can't assume that there wasn't the odd squad or two kicking about, doing their best to look busy when the Big E passed through. 

But I agree with Cerbero, The Palace was the Fist's, Angel's and Scar's gig. It'd be shameful if they didn't get their moment of glory

The thing about the Ultramarines getting involved in every conflict is that they are the only legion to get that relevance. They got more short stories, novels appereances and audiobook presence than the Sons of Horus (you remember? that guy the Heresy is named after)

Garro: Oath of the Moment, Know No Fear, Battle for the Abyss, Betrayer, Gates Of Terra, First Heretic, Rules of Engagment, Iron Within, Forgotten Sons (last three from the same book Age Of Darkness), Censure (the new audiobook), The Mark Of Calth, Unremembered Empire...and go on.

While I really like the Ultramarines I'm starting to get tired of them. To the day we got all that stories about them in the Heresy, when traditionally they didn't get much than the Battle of Calth, and other legions are completly forgotten. To the day Night Lords, Imperial Fists, White Scars, Iron Hands didn't even get a novel for themselves. I know they're working in that but c'mon is necessary all that Ultras showing themselves everywhere?

they're the largest legion of course they're going to be way more visible than everyone else.

But that's a decision of the writers. Just because they're the largest legion isn't enough reason to spot them everywhere. I think is more for their relevance in 40k than just for the size of their ranks. That's what I don't personally like about it, HH should be a thing completly different from 40k, and if the Ultras are the most important chapter in 40k, the HH is a perfect way to show other guys that don't get as much credit ten thousand years later. Unremembered Empire for example is a completly new arc in the HH where the Ultras get a relevance they didn't get before besides Battle of Calth. That could have been done with many other legions instead the Ultramarines, and I really hope the writers would give us such stories soon. 

i dont remember ultramarines in the first heretic? 

barring one conversation about them.. 

They were the ones sent with the Sigilite to smack the WB hands and Orbital Strike their favored planet.

Just because a contingent of Ultramarines are in a book doesn't mean the book is about them.  They needed to be in the beginning of First Heretic to set up the hatred Lorgar has for them.  Battle for the Abyss has an Ultramarine but it also has a Space Wolf, World Eater, and Thousand Son (who was the most interesting character in the novel, IMHO) as well as Word Bearers.  Being ubiquitous or omnipresent is their thing: It's how the Ultras will be able to cover the entire Imperium after the Battle of Terra and it's already established that they actively tag along to learn the tactics of other legions in order to distill the best of them for use in the XIII Legion.  They need to  be out and about for that.  The same argument could be said of the Word Bearers as Erebus has a cameo in nearly every book. 

IIRC the battle of Terra featured a number of loyalist legions such as Ultramarines (very small number, think honour guard kind of small), I'm sure I read that after the battle the armour from these fallen warriors was collected and attached to a huge collum at Palace.

Nope - thats the Imperial Fists there... Their bodies (armour and bones) were built into the column as a memorial to their sacrifice.

i dont remember ultramarines in the first heretic? 

barring one conversation about them.. 

They were the ones sent with the Sigilite to smack the WB hands and Orbital Strike their favored planet.

oh yea, not sure how i could forget that lol :/

as said by blue beetle though, its hardly the whole series being based around them; tad exaggerating their presence in several releases.

you see erebus in enough places but the entire series isnt based around him and the word bearers (who themselves have, apart from sons of horus, seen more than any other traitor legion in the series). 

its not a competition. 

Archived