How would you set up two Tactical Squads?

Cessna

I know, it depends on a lot of things...

Here's my story.  I started playing 40K an embarrassing number of years ago, but stopped playing for a long time.  Work, school, kids, no time, all the usual excuses.

Recently I've returned.  After shopping around for a while I decided to go with Blood Angels.  I've got a big ol' pile of models left over from the last time I played the game - I blew the dust off the boxes and started building.

I've built 20 Assault Marines, some Decastators with Missile Launchers, and a pile of Death Company.  (Old metal Death Company, for that matter.) 

I'd like to build two squads worth of Tactical Marines.  I've got enough models and weapons for this.  But I've been out of the game for a long time, and am not up to speed on what works and what doesn't these days.

Can you help me out here?

I am a big fan of plasma guns and cannons on tac squads these days. BA get a plasma cannon for 5pts which is a darn good deal.

Since you have two units to build, I would do a flamer and missile launcher in the other for simple utility. Not sure how your assault squads are kitted out, but melta should be covered there and some templates for horde armies would be nice on the other squad.

I am sure others will chime in with some more suggestions, but I think that is a good start.

As you said, "it depends".  But assuming you want two tac squads to provide a defensive/objective scoring core - my suggestion would be:

Missile Launcher/Plasma Cannon and Flamer.  350pts for up to 4 scoring defensive units capable of damaging a good cross-section of enemies.

I run two tacticals with plasmagun/plasma cannon combo in Rhinos. I like to combat squad them, leaving the cannons in Rhinos behind an ADL as a bunker whilst the other combat squads move to take mid field objectives.

They are supported by an Assault squad, attack bike squadron, a Stormraven and some death company.

As to heavy weapons, that is based on playstyle and what opponents you will be facing. I personally lean toward meltagun/missile launcher, but everyone has been going plasma crazy this edition. If they are backfield objective holders, the special weapon may be a point sink, but power weapons are almost needed now on sergeants due to challenges. If you plan to throw them in a rhino or DP, the special weapon and Power something is a must.

I have 4 squads that I've done up right now.  I run 2 meltagun/ML combo for vehicles/heavy infantry, 1 heavy bolter/flamer combo for horde, and 1 ML/flamer for a mix.

Games wise, it depends what I proxy them in as, but I almost always just run meltagun/ML combo.  I don't go plasma strictly because I am paranoid at rolling 1's.  With my luck, it will happen.

I run two tac squads in my list. One with flamer, missile launcher and combi-flamer in a razorback with TL heavy flamer for hordes, and one squad with plasma gun, multi-melta and combi plasma in a rhino for monstreous creatures, wehicles, and elite infantry.

Edit: spelling

Games wise, it depends what I proxy them in as, but I almost always just run meltagun/ML combo.  I don't go plasma strictly because I am paranoid at rolling 1's.  With my luck, it will happen.

If you don't go plasma because you're that good at rolling 1's with special weapons, then you should just save the points and not take any at all :P It's all in your head.

BA lack ways to kill terminators. Power weapons (swords) took a hit, and axes only ensure mutually assured destruction. Mephy cant even deal with them any more.

I'd go with a plasma cannon in a tact squad, unless you have 4 plasmas in a 10 man dev squad. Back up with a plasma gun.

my other tac squad I run as flamer/heavy bolter. this squad usually moves up the field to take objectives, so the 3 shots on snap shot are better than one krak missile.

Look to what other units in your army cannot deal with, and arm your tacs accordingly to shore up holes.

I usually find that between a 2xmelta/infernus assault squad and 4x mm attack bikes I have enough anti AV14.

I've never worried about terminators, and by saying that by not including plasmas in my tactical squads, I shouldn't take special weapons at all then (because they are not plasma), is pretty lame.  I know plasma is the new hotness in 6th, but do I have to do what everyone else is doing? Absolutely not.  The rolling 1's is just with plasma though, never happens with anything else.  Just my luck...

I deal with terminators with mass shots, bolters, hellfire rounds,  heavy bolters, assault cannons.  They get close, melta's.  I could go on and on with what weapons in our codex deal with terminators but I won't because it's off topic.  BA have lots of ways to deal with terminators, they are marines.

What I have been doing is just assembling a bunch of different heavy weapon models so that I have options for different games.  Same with my devs, I just assemble all the heavy weapons that are included, even though I may not use them, at least I have the models to represent what they are if I do.  Plus they look good on the shelf when everything is painted.

What I have been doing is just assembling a bunch of different heavy weapon models so that I have options for different games.  Same with my devs, I just assemble all the heavy weapons that are included, even though I may not use them, at least I have the models to represent what they are if I do.  Plus they look good on the shelf when everything is painted.

This is what I'm going to end up doing; I just need some help picking what to build.

Thanks very much for all of the advice, everyone!

Archived