Guardians of the Covenant

Oceangrave

How to Paint; Guardians of the Covenant (The Oceangrave Way) - PART 2 THE DETAILS

STEP ONE

Time to get the details in, now I have done all this at the same time so that it'll be quicker and cuz I had a really cool idea for this model;

Gold - Basecoat in Balthasar Gold Base

Red - Basecoat in Mephiston Red

Black - Basecoat in Reaper Pure Black

White - Basecoat in Reaper Aged Bone

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc383/BlackDaemonxxx/IMG_20130326_151154_652_zpscfa4d24c.jpg

STEP TWO

Gold - Highlight with Gehenna's Gold

Red - Highlight with Evil Sunz Scarlet

Black - Highlight with Reaper Ultramarine Blue Highlight

White - Highlight with Reaper Ghost White

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc383/BlackDaemonxxx/IMG_20130326_214244_368_zpsb00a9921.jpg

STEP THREE

Gold - Highlight with Auric Armour Gold

Red - Highlight with Reaper Phoenix Red

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc383/BlackDaemonxxx/IMG_20130326_214741_297_zpsa11b0011.jpg

STEP FOUR

Gold - Wash with Agrax Earthshade

Red - Wash with Carroburg Crimson

Black - Wash the Blue with Nuln Oil

White - Was ONLY the shadows with Nuln Oil

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc383/BlackDaemonxxx/IMG_20130326_215844_651_zps49ce57b0.jpg

STEP FIVE

Gold - (If a shiny new gold) Re-highlight with Auric Armour Gold

Red - Highlight with Evil Sunz Scarlet

Black - Highlight with Reaper Ultramarine Blue Highlight

White - Highlight with Reaper Pure White

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc383/BlackDaemonxxx/IMG_20130326_221443_834_zps8d6def6e.jpg

STEP SIX

Now that all the general details are done, you can add your finishing touches and hit it with a blast of Army Painter Anti-Shine Matte Varnish, it helps protect your model and it helps your model's highlight look more obvious and the metals less shiny while still keeping their luster;

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc383/BlackDaemonxxx/IMG_20130326_224957_366_zps07ee65c4.jpg

I hope this tutorial helped out, it was actually my first time doing the free-handed Dark Angels' symbol in this way biggrin.png

Yah, he technically can never die, and the dark angels codex is really funny because it says that Azrael HAS to have a mini-me companion, so since this little guy is useless as what he really is, he's my Azrael counter since i hate the azrael model.... hate it with a burning passion :P 

NEXT UP ON MY TABLE; I will be working on my 2nd tac squad since i have like 6/10 done in that unit and they are robed so it takes forever lol

I agree, the azrael model is old, and he doesn't really fit in with the look and feel of the successors.  I converted my azrael stand in, and converted one of them relic toters.  I have to remove the helm I did before, and get a new helm so I can get my watcher painted up.  Just have to get a wicked cool mk iv helm first.   So I might just paint the one I got as is for now, and replace him later when I get my mits on a better looking helmet. 

I would think the robed guys are easier, less armor to have to paint.   For me it would be easier cause metals give me nightmares lol.  

Like the termie great job thumbsup.gif . hey just noticed someone from MI me to.

MI POWAH!!! gotta love that extended winter we are getting this year, making me sit inside at my desk more

and I love MK4, my friend got a set of their heads from someone he plays with and i was about to like steal them from him while he slept (not very Space Marine, I know, but I got alittle khorne in me)

And organic highlight (like the flowing robes) are alittle more difficult for me

I live city-side so I dont know fishing much, other then when i was a kid I could cast into a bucket 20 yards away xD 

and I've been debating starting a 2nd Company within my Guardians focusing on the Chaplains (pretty much an entire hunk painted in chaplain colours) what do yall think? i probly will post a painter pic of what i'm thinking later

Yah, he technically can never die, and the dark angels codex is really funny because it says that Azrael HAS to have a mini-me companion, so since this little guy is useless as what he really is, he's my Azrael counter since i hate the azrael model.... hate it with a burning passion :P 

I'm with ya on the az model, it's meek and old... But really, great stuff ocean, silver is tough and you really made it look incredible.

Just wondering if you could fill me in your Chaplin model, the blue/black is what I'll be going for when I get around to my fallen army. But that Chaplin armor is exactly what I've been trying for. The "blues" are what I've been having trouble with.

Yah, he technically can never die, and the dark angels codex is really funny because it says that Azrael HAS to have a mini-me companion, so since this little guy is useless as what he really is, he's my Azrael counter since i hate the azrael model.... hate it with a burning passion tongue.png

I'm with ya on the az model, it's meek and old... But really, great stuff ocean, silver is tough and you really made it look incredible.

Just wondering if you could fill me in your Chaplin model, the blue/black is what I'll be going for when I get around to my fallen army. But that Chaplin armor is exactly what I've been trying for. The "blues" are what I've been having trouble with.

Quick chaplain answer is;

1. Airbrush/Spray Paint Basecoat with Pure Black

2. 1:1 light drybrush of Pure Black: Reaper Ultramarine Blue Highlight

3. 1:2 Lighter drybrush of Black:Reaper Ultramarine Blue Highlight

4. Edge highlight with pure Ultramarine Blue Highlight

5. Wash with Nuln Oil

6. Re-edge the VERY pointed edges with Ultramarine Blue

7. Make yourself a sandwich.

Well my dark angel brethren, looks like I wont be painting for a while, been dealing with a muscle pain like no other the past few days and it turns out to be an overstrained muscle :[ so I'll probably spend the next couple days trying to heal it up before i start using it again

Quick chaplain answer is;

1. Airbrush/Spray Paint Basecoat with Pure Black

2. 1:1 light drybrush of Pure Black: Reaper Ultramarine Blue Highlight

3. 1:2 Lighter drybrush of Black:Reaper Ultramarine Blue Highlight

4. Edge highlight with pure Ultramarine Blue Highlight

5. Wash with Nuln Oil

6. Re-edge the VERY pointed edges with Ultramarine Blue

7. Make yourself a sandwich.

Sandwich check. I would have never guessed ultra marines blue. Thanks

Yeah ultramarine is sort of a middle grade blue, not to dark, not to bright, not to light, and not to green or purple.m it's just a matter of mixing to get the right shade you need.

And that stinks about the muscle, rest it your probably pulled it from doing something else. I know from experience rest those muscles nothing suckers worse by pushing your self to paint when your muscles in your arm are strained, I did that a month ago myself, and it was worse cause it was my right arm, and I couldn't paint with it or draw which I needed to draw cause I have art assignments for college. I had to rest it and pace myself for about a week till it fully healed while also trying to get schoolwork done. Painting minis had to be set on back burner completely for over a week. Ret it, then get back to pumping out those amazing guardians of the covenant.

Yah, mine is a small pinpoint muscle strand in my shoulder which means it only hurts if I decided to stretch or grab something on the floor, but still, I want to be able to use my entire arm instead of just my forearm while painting. 

It'll only take a few days to rest up, after that I plan on doing what I need to do to tone my muscles back up a bit, get healthy and whatnot before working again on my guardians. 

its cause he never dies lol, and he is full on support.

Yah, he technically can never die, and the dark angels codex is really funny because it says that Azrael HAS to have a mini-me companion, so since this little guy is useless as what he really is, he's my Azrael counter since i hate the azrael model.... hate it with a burning passion tongue.png

NEXT UP ON MY TABLE; I will be working on my 2nd tac squad since i have like 6/10 done in that unit and they are robed so it takes forever lol

A vindicare assasin can kill them unfortunently.

Archived