Guardians of the Covenant

Oceangrave

Ok, so the chaplain does look off.  I know you have been using a blue highlight for your black, and overall it has looked nice, it still looks black with a blue highlight.  However the chaplain looks blue, doesn't look black at all, even with the blue highlight, it appears the base color is also blue.   This makes him look less and less like a chaplain, and more and more like another chapter marine.     The helmet, although cool also doesn't scream chaplain to me at all.   Chaplains tend to wear skull helms.  These are part a sign of position, and a sign of terror in the enemy, a guy who literally knows no fear, he is death incarnate and he is here to thump you upside the head with his crozius.   That being said, you already have the helmet their, so you need to make it look more chaplain like.  One idea, is perhaps painting a skull face on top of the helm, similar to the way the night lords do it.  You can have the teeth incorporated into the grill, this would help make him more chaplain like.  I think the biggest improvement would be getting the blue back to black with subtle blue highlights.   Chaplains wear black armor.   If you go with the skull mask, another idea to enhance it is make the rest of the grill, that isn't skull a dark steel color.  

My only other complaint, is why did you keep the blood drops?  He is a dark angel successor, an unforgiven, not a space vampire.   I would have replaced the blood drops and kept the wings, and added some broken swords or something to replace those blood drops.  Also I probably would have added more purity seals to the torso/waist area.  Again he is suppose to be a chaplain, so he would have alot of purity seals or some other adornments telling of his deeds. 

Yah, my bits amount is slim so i don't have the purity seals to put on, I understand the helmet doesn't look like a skull because once again, don't have anything else that'd work, I kept the drops because I am not good at scraping detail without ruining the entire surface quite yet, and the blue being vibrant is actually more due to the lighting than the paint, after I hit it with varnish the blue seemed to dissipate in actual vision, my camera ruins this with an auto-white balancing and filter. 

In the end I know its not really a like lore exploding chaplain guy but I made him for fun, even in the thought process of gaming he is rather useless, I just enjoy a fun project every once in a while so I don't get bored and burned out like I did after painting 134 Crimson Fists on commission. 

I didn't read your post until well after I decided the guy was done so I didn't put any of it into the model, I have him completed, and well, I like it, I'll paint some more terminators or something to get back into painting stuff more lore friendly. 

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc383/BlackDaemonxxx/IMG_20130424_182443_500_zps8a996172.jpg

If you don't like it, sorry.

• 3 months later...

Haven't posted in forever, took a bit of a break from 40k to kinda have a real life and such.... BUT I have painted more and more lately, including a Deathwing Champion I converted from the DV sgt.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc383/BlackDaemonxxx/IMG_20130813_153553_216_zpsa3f0e124.jpg

Hope you enjoy it

Archived