Preheresy/Post Heresy Aesthetics

Is it appropriate to have a Space Wolves Army in preheresy and post heresy armor/colors?

I have never read any of the books but I assume the Aftermath and destruction in left in the wake of the horus heresy would be widespread.. all of the the vehicles and technology in the Imperium seems to be ancient anyway. I am thinking that With all the chaos of the war and the crusades before hand all of the chapters would require quite amount of time and energy to update what they have. Considering my assumptions are true.. would it be plausible that a good majority of the Space Wolves (and possibly other chapter.. I don't know which others besides the Ultramarines and Blood Angels are super concerned with polished armor and looks) Would still be donning their preheresy  gear.. as well as quite a few of the Vehicles would still be in preheresy colors and loadouts.

The only reason I get into the fluff is I am starting to like the preheresy look of the space wolves. I also like the newer look as well and I really don't want to completely repaint everything in my army... so some in post heresy and some in pre seems like a good way to balance everything out. Since the Long Fangs are said to be the oldest and most experiences warriors I can definitely see them being in preheresy armor/color.. as well as some of the rune priests, wolf guard, wolf lords and quite a few of the vehicles...

Thoughts? Would a pre/post heresy army just look ridiculous or does anyone think this is a coold idea?

I like the look of the stuff coming out for Betrayal. I can't wait to see what is released for the Wolves when it is their turn.

I wouldn't mind if someone did mix as it doesn't affect me. The option I was thinking if I was to go the Forgeworld route would be all Heresy era armor, but with the newer weapons. I cannot stand the older stuff. Then I would just play them as being the armor of the 40k era.

I would like to mix the different styles of armour in a pack. I have been lucky enough to get some the Heresy upgrade packs(ML's,MG's & FL's) & like them. With the way Space Wolves are set up, especially the Wolf Guard it's quite probable there would be a mix of armour styles & wargear. Simply look at the description of Runic Armour.

Lots of Redmaw's company have mk IV in IA11 but all have the same colour scheme. I think aesthetically, this would pull the diverse armour patterns together and make them more cohesive. Painting mk IV differently to mk vii might end up looking like 2 armies IMO.

Mixing and matching weaponry patterns across armour marks might help avoid too much of a split. Ie give some FW guys SW bolters and some SW guys FW bolters. Or just give them all SW bolters.

Also, wolf up the FW models a bit too, for the same reason. If you hollow out the wolf pack cape, you should be able to affix it to a mk IV guy. Get some extra fur pelts from max mini and put them on your mk IV guys. Make just as many mk IV guys bareheaded as mk VII, and use wolf pack heads.

I'm hoping to mix some mk IV into my grey hunters, and these are some of the ideas I've come up with so far for doing so... Hope that helps!

I currently like mixing a SW pack with a Tactical SM Squad. I wonder what it would look like mixing and matching the SW pack with Forgeworld kits.

This is how I went, mix of Mk II, II and IV Forge World kits with various bits out of the present 40K range, as well as some selected spare 2nd Edition figures from my original army (like the LF metals).

gallery_43042_8306_100958.jpg

I did my WG before the FW lovelies were out, so they have shoulder pads off MaxMini. WS are from the 3rd Edition ballerinas, and Wulfen the EoT boxed sets:

gallery_43042_8306_306884.jpg

gallery_43042_8306_59895.jpg

gallery_43042_8306_890894.jpg

All in the original grey/grey with red on grey GC marking and toned downed versions of the 2nd Edition pack markings.

gallery_43042_8306_17795.jpg

I mix armor but use the same colors/paint scheme. I figure as armor gets re-cycled it would be stripped down, refurbished, rewired and painted before getting issued to a BC.

For Russ!

Is there a real problem with it looking like two different Armies though? As long as the forces look good on a table top.. I'm fine. If you think about phasing in new equipment and camouflage from old.. many units don't have the new fancy stuff and have to use the old stuff until they are updated. The U.S. Marines have had to do stuff like that before.. and even with Militaries using the Multicam now it took a while to get it out and some people still use BDU's (old woodland camouflage) It just made sense to me that after a huge war and so many exhausted resources a Chapter may not be at the point of having everything updated. Thanks for the responses though! For Heresy Space Wolves.. is a darker grey better? Or should it not be too dark (I'm looking for accuracy and authenticity)

I completely spaced out on this point but in earlier editions of 40K the Adeptus Astartaes treated their armour like relics and would often recover and repair the armour for the next generation of heros until the particular suit of armour was damaged beyond repair, then whatever pieces could be recovered would be and passed on.  I have no problem with mix and matching it kind of reflects this attitude of having a promising marine being given a piece of history to live up to.

The HH series regularly refer to the power armour being 'painted' or 'repainted'. So a spread of shades and colours would indicate a units forced to replace broken armour with parts taken from their fallen foes. So fine for 13GC and post massacre Raven Guard etc. Still, they are your toys :)

I think its always down to personal preference. I for one love making my Space Wolves look utterly brutal. So, I used Khorne Bezerker kits and Chaos marines mixed with the normal Space Marine sets.

The Space Wolves arent exactly the most... codex following chapter out there ;)

My philosophy is that Wolf Lords may use either the blue grey or the grey grey on their own whims. p

In terms of armor, I think it's like most other chapters. The older mark armor the legions would wear would be adorned by the mightiest and most favored of warriors. 

Hey Durfast, where did the haft for the terminator wolf guard's axe come from? If I remember correctly it's not the one that axe head normally sits on?

The base figure is Lord Zhufor by Forge World and the axe haft is the one that comes with the model.

Archived