Purifier Squad at 6?

templarboy

I have been running a Purifier army with the basic 5 in a squad.  Fairly simple with a KoF and 2 psycannons. Hvy Bolter Razorbacks for all 4 squads.  I was thinking that a razorback can carry 6 troops, so why not?  Is there any reason 5 is the most common squad size in a razorback? Thanks oh wise ones.....

It depends on what you're using them for. If it's just for the psycannons, 5 or 10  is the most efficient. If it's for combat, any number works. Personally, if you have the points I think you should invest in halberds. I6 power weapons are fantastic and really give you an edge against most opponents.

Razorbacks aren't that great a choice in 6th. AV11 chassis tend to give up 'First Blood' really easily, and games  can be decided by 1VP sometimes. 

I'd honestly just run them on foot as a max squad, or take a Raven to get them into position if you're going melee Purifiers. 

razorbacks are cheap fire support bases. They also make dandy transports for small squads. Don't worry about first blood. Unless you're playing a first blood denial list (which come with problems of their own), first blood will usually go to whoever goes first. Mech works in 6th, I swear it does. Play to its strengths and understand its weaknesses. If your razorbacks are working for you, keep using them!

razorbacks are cheap fire support bases

They're not that cheap. Also, as I mentioned, they die more easily than a Terminator (best rough comparison for points in our army). It's not just 'First Blood', its the issue of paying points for a bunker then losing it Turn 1/2 without getting much mileage out of it. 

They also make dandy transports for small squads

Which you shouldn't take. We're already a low model count force, the squad you do take should be full strength. MSU isn't a viable army build anymore. 

Unless you're playing a first blood denial list (which come with problems of their own), first blood will usually go to whoever goes first. Mech works in 6th, I swear it does. Play to its strengths and understand its weaknesses. If your razorbacks are working for you, keep using them!

Not really. If you lose an entire unit Turn 1, it either got focused down hard or you didn't deploy it properly. Going first obviously makes it easier to get 'First Blood', but it isn't always the case. 

Mech Knights suffer from tiny model count and AV11 being easy to pop. Hull Points are the reason mech spam isn't as effective anymore, simply because massed glancing (oh hai Necrons) will wipe out your vehicle wall quite quickly. We're better on foot anyway, it gives us more shots and the oppertunity to counter-assault if the enemy screw up their charges. 

Thanks fellas. I am going to try out 4 squads of 6 in razorbacks this next weekend and see if I hate it!

Good luck!

Mech isn't dead. I'm not the only person to believe this, many experienced tournament champions believe this if my personal experience isn't enough for you.

Additionally, MSU isn't dead, it works the same as ever. Again, if my personal experience isn't enough, many experience isn't enough, other tournament champions believe this as well.

It's alright if it doesn't work for you, and you don't have to use it. The OP didnt ask if he should run purifiers at full strength and ditch mech, he only asked if he should increase the squad size to 6.

50 points for a 3 shot Twin Linked S6 gun, that's got 2 wounds and is immune to Bolters/Lasguns.

It only has 2HP? Bleh, definitely not worth it then. 

60 points get me triple plasma servitor. They're immune to bolters/lasguns because they outrange them and tend to obliterate whatever is wielding them before they make range. Eh, I guess vehicles can block charge lanes better...I dunno, I play against Guard and Chaos a lot, they tend to wreck AV11 pretty easily. 

he beauty is the Razor is like a HWS for your slot.

You can have your triple Plasma Servitors *and* the Razor.

And if you're gonna pay 55 points for a 2W mini that can be killed by Bolters/Lasguns, then 50 points for one that can't. Well, it's a steal. msn-wink.gif

Eh. Razors generally pop on Turn 1 in my experience. Henchmen do but thats why I bring ablative Acolytes to be the front rank.

Just sayin, AV11 aint that hard to crack. 3HP doesn't matter much when a single autocannon or krak missile can blow it up with pens.

I really hate the transport rules as well. I'd rather just buy an Aegis line for similar points, camp back and enjoy 4+ cover on my Henchmen (2+ if I really don't wanna die that turn).

Homestly, I dont believe the ADL constitutes area terrain, and woulf only give you a 3+ cover if you go to ground behind it

Homestly, I dont believe the ADL constitutes area terrain, and woulf only give you a 3+ cover if you go to ground behind it

Whether or not ADL is Area Terrain (which it isn't) the specific rules for ADL says it provides a 4+ cover save to a unit obscured by it. 

It also goes on to say that units going to ground behind it get +2 to their cover save.

These are the rules of the ADL, nothing to do with the type of terrain it is.

Back on topic,

I've always been a fan of a 10 man purifier squad, buying a Razorback, psybolts, 4 psycannons, and either combat squadding the cc half into the razorback and the shooty half stealing a chimera from my servitor squad, or everyone together stealing the chimera.

4 Psycannons out the top of the chimera is nasty, better with terminators obv, but purifiers work well too.

as for 5 or 6 purifiers, i wouldn't spend the points on the extra body. 6 guys won't make that much of a difference over 5.

Archived