Priming Ineptitude... :-(

Ok I have tried several methods of priming my models, all of which have met with poor success.  I am about to embark on a massive project to convert myself a counts-as Sisters of Battle army in white power armor.  As you all know, white can ba a hard color to do so I am looking for a white primer that is cheap (don't want to spend $15 on a can of primer) any brands/specific products I should be looking for to prime all my girls so I don't go blind painting layer after layer of white on them before I can even begin the detail work?   

Priming a light gray actually may work best, rather than trying to shade a solid white prime which comes with its own risks.

The only experience I've had priming white though was with GW primer, which I can fully, confidently recommend you never buy tongue.png I have tried maybe 4 different cans of it over the years, and not a single one went on smooth. They all came out grainy, regardless of shaking, differences in temperature, humidity, what-have-you.

Vallejo primers get mad reviews if you have an airbrush to work with, though in my recent escapades it has proven to be a flop.

I would honestly recommend getting some Liquitex White Gesso or even the Grey version and doing them by hand.

It doesn't take long as you can just slop it on roughly and it will pull into all the detail and give you a nice base that will produce a smooth white after 2 coats of your usual white paint, 3 if you are using the Grey.

In the past year or so I've painted about 7000+ points of various marines with hand painted gesso priming smile.png

i heartily disagree with the "slop it on" approach.. hand priming produces an uneven surface and will never give as good results as a spray can or an airbrush.. i work with paint for a living outside of the hobby and if they 1st layer is boned the end result will be affected.

you want to be looking for automotive primer if you are looking at rattle cans "hobby" specific stuff will always be more expensive regardless of quality.. i cant give any specific recommendations due to being in a different part of the world but id also suggest a grey as a base, white spray paint is notorious for iffy coverage and going gritty.

The only experience I've had priming white though was with GW primer, which I can fully, confidently recommend you never buy tongue.png I have tried maybe 4 different cans of it over the years, and not a single one went on smooth. They all came out grainy, regardless of shaking, differences in temperature, humidity, what-have-you.

Hah! Yeah, that stuff is useless. Grainy as you say, plus it doesn't even have proper coverage! In other words, it doesn't result in the object actually becoming white. I tried to paint some shoulder pads with it, but it takes a thousand passes to get even close to acceptable coverage, but it still... isn't. Dunno what the heck they put in that can, it's mostly not paint apparently.

On a side note strangely enough I haven't found a "medium" gray to be any easier as a basecoat to paint white over compared to just painting over black. I expected it to be, but it just didn't turn out that way unsure.png

Priming a light gray actually may work best, rather than trying to shade a solid white prime which comes with its own risks.

That said, I've only had one bad can of it in the fifteen years or so I've used it. Replaced without quibble.

But, working from grey is probably best, if you don't want to use Skull White.

Archived