Recons and Shotguns

Brother Keyaetus

Hey guys, I'm not entirely sure if this is the best place to put this post, but I was looking at them cracker looking MkIV recon squads on forgeworld, and it got me thinking, whats even the use for wanting to have them with shotguns?

Dont get me wrong, I love the idea of shotguns, and the idea of recon space marines using them is awesome also, its just I dont see how you could make it work.

Recons come with Bolter and Bolt Pistol by default.  Option to switch Bolter for Shotgun or Combat blade for free.

So in a squad of 5 you could have 3 BP/CCW and 2 shotguns, or some other mix.  But I think you're right in that you can't get BP/CCW/Shotgun-- I think it is one or the other.

The only reason you'd pick Shotguns over Bolts would be if you wanted to assault things and the Recon squad doesn't really seem like a good assault unit.

I believe they would make great skirmisher units.  With acute senses they can deny other scouts good deployment and help funnel your enemy to your gun line.  They can then spend the rest of the game mucking about.  Shotguns will just give them more assault shots as they tie up a scary unit moving to capture an objective or flank your line. All for pretty cheap.

Add a narco-vox for LOS for artillary and/or Camoleoline to make ranged shots on them less effective.

I would say shotguns make them more proactive flank protectors where bolters/sniper will make them more reactive.

Archived