Video Battle Report: 1500pts Black Templars Vs Chaos

Hi Guys, wanted to post our latest battle report.

I did something very very different this time and took a mechanised list.  Now this is well out of my comfort zone, I have shouted from the rooftops about the greatness that is Black Tide time and time again, but were starting a campaign in a few weeks and I fancied trying out a list that I havent done before.

Chaos brought a list thinking I was going Tide, and to be honest I thought he was going mechanised because hes just got a new Land Raider,  he runs 2 x proxy Vindis, and he has like 6 Deamon princes to call on (he runs a deamon army as well).

Overall it was a great game, and we have already agreed a re-match wich will definitely be a game when 2 tides go to war.  Anyhoo have a look at this, enjoy, and as always Comments are more than welcome.

Cheers

Nice report. The naked table really suited your army, clear line of sight and plenty of room to drive around.

Also shouldn't you get a victory point for each Heavy Support you knocked out? It's how my group plays Big Guns Never Tire but we may be wrong.

Yeah, it turned out that way.  For all our non-campaign games we use the random method for creating terrain as per the BRB and its normally the third member that sets it up with the door closed while the two players eat sandwiches/drink beers.  And so it was.

To be honest when I do run tanks I never take dozer blades so never run over difficult/dangerous terrain, so those walls/bushes/scrub were a no go area for me.  The only flank I could advance over was the right flank, which worked out ok for me, as it allowed me to focus on those Vindicators first before moving up and around to claim the centre objective.

I think you are indeed correct on the points for Heavys destroyed, if the defiler is heavy then it should have been 10-3.

We're getting close to our campaign kick off now.  Saturday April 13th will be round one, should be a blast, Ive arranged for the wife to ship herself off to her parents with the kids for the weekend, and its going to be all 6 games from round 1 played at my house in one day.  Plenty of Cameras/Batteries/Beers/Jack/Coke/Chili/Pizza on standby.

Im still debating whether to make 6 individual videos for the first campaign turn or make one long video showing all 6 games.

Cheers

Probably best to make individual videos... or if not that, at least provide info about which time which match begins, so it's easy to skip to a certain battle if you want to check that one out specifically.

The god hammer pattern is the standard landraider and can hold 10 marines or 5 nators.

not 5 nators AND a champ

Other then that nice idea using marshal + quad gun

You are not wrong sir! that is my bad.

Luckily it didnt really affect the outcome of the game, but still shouldnt have happened.

Cheers

No probs, you are undoubtably not the first to make the mistake, "cough" I surely havnt and thus dont know by experience "cough" lol

You play templars a lot by the looks of your vids, what bonus do you find they have over vanilla marines?

No probs, you are undoubtably not the first to make the mistake, "cough" I surely havnt and thus dont know by experience "cough" lol

You play templars a lot by the looks of your vids, what bonus do you find they have over vanilla marines?

Yeah, currently I only play BT, and have done for ages.  However I decided to start a space elf army at the end of January, and I currently have 1750pts worth of the little buggers, first batreps will be videod next week for my eldar..(it goes back to 1st edition, WHFB and WH40K, just always loved the Elven backstory).

As far as what bonus I find over Vanilla Marines.  I used to play Codex Marines and to be honest I enjoyed playing those too (hasnt everyone played codex marines at some point?).  I run mostly black-tide, and that is my biggest bonus I enjoy, match that with chaplains and Zeal, and I still love how quickly you can get to your opponents juicy targets.  I know alot of people say that big CC squads are dead in 6th with all the emphasis on shooty mcgoodness, but I have found the opposite, people dis-regard the effectivenes of 20+ bolt pistols firing then the charge, its a massive 1-2 punch.  Re-rolls with the chaplain (essential since losing Preferred enemy) are just awesome.  Rolling in a tide list with 80-100 attacks (if you include Grimmy and his relic) per squad, it just makes everything it touches disappear.  Its also a massive psychological blow to your opponent when he takes out 5 of your squad thinking it wil make you sad, then you just smile and run another 6-9 inches toward him, gotta love those Neophyte Zeal-Triggers, and cenobyte turbo boosters.

Although I dont run it much, being able to take much smaller squads with heavy and special weapons is also fantastic.

Once again, although I dont run it very often, being able to load up 5 man termie squads with twin Cyclones or Assault cannons is tip top.

I also love the fact that we still have an armoury, and hope that we do not lose this in our new codex.  Our HQ choices are sooo far behind every other marine codex in stats, but we make up for it being able to kit them right out.

Our Vows are a great idea and once again I hope we dont lose that.  And given that we are a more religious lot than any other chapter/legion I reckon that having POTMS is apt for us on any vehicles at a cost.

Over all I am probably one of the few BT players who isnt that bothered about getting a codex update ASAP.  I would prefer that they take their time with it and get it right, rather than rush something in that takes away from us the playing style of the BT.

I have played just about every codex now apart from the Necrons and have turned them alll over, so I dont feel we are not competative, its just you have to work out different angles to get to where you want to be.  Being able to push 40+ guys up a forced flank will force any opponenet to pause and question his game plan, and thats all you need to do, because while he is questioning it, you already know what you are going to do - Lose some of your men, then Zeal, then move, then shoot, then charge, simples.

I now have 2 armies, both of which are the oldest codices in the game system, and I am so excited to play my first Eldar game next Sunday.

Ill post here and let you know how it gets on.

Cheers

I know alot of people say that big CC squads are dead in 6th with all the emphasis on shooty mcgoodness, but I have found the opposite, people dis-regard the effectivenes of 20+ bolt pistols firing then the charge, its a massive 1-2 punch. Re-rolls with the chaplain (essential since losing Preferred enemy) are just awesome. Rolling in a tide list with 80-100 attacks (if you include Grimmy and his relic) per squad, it just makes everything it touches disappear.

Probably not the right thread to discuss this, but... the main problems I find with squads like these - other than getting blown right off the table - are mainly the fact that if you indeed do shoot with the bolt pistols prior to charging, it just makes it that much more likely that your charge will end up short. The second is actually getting all the models engaged on the first round to actually benefit from all those rerolls. So getting everyone into base contact or within 2" of a model in base contact isn't easy, considering having to spread out to avoid templates and thus the squad being spread over a VAST area. Even with the 3" pile in factored in you generally need a charge distance roll far longer than the minimum. And when half of my charges magically fail even at distances like 3-5".... ermm.gif

I know alot of people say that big CC squads are dead in 6th with all the emphasis on shooty mcgoodness, but I have found the opposite, people dis-regard the effectivenes of 20+ bolt pistols firing then the charge, its a massive 1-2 punch. Re-rolls with the chaplain (essential since losing Preferred enemy) are just awesome. Rolling in a tide list with 80-100 attacks (if you include Grimmy and his relic) per squad, it just makes everything it touches disappear.

Probably not the right thread to discuss this, but... the main problems I find with squads like these - other than getting blown right off the table - are mainly the fact that if you indeed do shoot with the bolt pistols prior to charging, it just makes it that much more likely that your charge will end up short. The second is actually getting all the models engaged on the first round to actually benefit from all those rerolls. So getting everyone into base contact or within 2" of a model in base contact isn't easy, considering having to spread out to avoid templates and thus the squad being spread over a VAST area. Even with the 3" pile in factored in you generally need a charge distance roll far longer than the minimum. And when half of my charges magically fail even at distances like 3-5".... ermm.gif

And not to speak of it, that Overwatch is dreadful. Considering charging a unit of Orks with 30 guys in it, you get shot by 60 snap shots, and yes they hit only at 6 but it does kind of an impact on a 10 Marine-squad..

Nice battlereport however. I wish you moved a little more with your Marines. My Templars never stand still, we are the ones pushing the enemies back. But mostly I do that with drop pods because of the shock-effect it gets when 20 boltersshots are fired at DP-deployment.

Nice battlereport however. I wish you moved a little more with your Marines. My Templars never stand still, we are the ones pushing the enemies back. But mostly I do that with drop pods because of the shock-effect it gets when 20 boltersshots are fired at DP-deployment.

You should watch my other battle reports when I run my tide, thats when marines are meant to move.  I only took 2 squads of 5 men that could score, and they were holding the objective with 2 las cannons.  There wouldnt have been any point in moving them at all, in fact moving them would have been a massive mistake, as it would have meant snap-shots on the las cannons and not bothering to score with those units.  As far as pushing back, on turn 6 I had anihilated his entire force and had him pinned in his own corner, if the game had gone to turn 7 then I would have pushed him back off the board, you cant really push any more than that.

That batrep was a complete step in the opposite direction for me running a mechanised list, for sure.  Normally in a 1500pt game I have 45-55 Templars on the board.  Only having 10 this time was a trip.

Archived