Running Abaddon

minionboy

So I've been working on a lovely Abaddon conversion (http://www.thediceabide.com/stuff/abaddonWIP2.JPG if you wanna check it out), and I'm trying to figure out the best way to run him.

As far as body guards go, i'm really thinking about Nurgle Mutilators in a Land Raider, though I'm not really crossing any ideas off the list.  Another idea was some Slaanesh Terminators with FNP banner, since the only thing that can make Abaddon grosser is FNP.  Lastly, there's always the blob of cultists to march across the board, as a horde of 30 ablative wounds (and scoring!).

Also, has anyone had luck with Troops chosen?  It seems like a decent idea for 1-2 squads toting special weapons, but I can't imagine using them beyond that.

I field this bad boy with ten Slaanesh terminators and a slaanesh sorcerer (apoc or special home made mission), and he's an absolute beast.

Gorgeous conversion, by the way !

Lovely conversion.  I'd run him with some terminators & deep strike.  Yeah, it's a massive risk with a massively expensive unit, but... you know... whatever.  Land raider is theoretically an option, but if you're already paint land raider points for a single, melee range HQ, you don't want to overpay on a transport as well.

Same thing goes for chosen.  The last thing basic CSMs need is to be more expensive, even if the extra cost does come with another attack or more special weapon slots.  This is especially true when you're already burning so many points on a single character model.  You just don't want to be paying over 20 points a model on average for a models that die like marines.  It's not like Abby needs help in melee anyway.

Maybe a min squad or two with lascannon?  I don't know, mostly I think you'd want to run the same bolter marines & cultists that you'd run with any other non-cult-enabling HQ.

No more insight?

Here's my finished conversion: http://www.thediceabide.com/2013/04/updating-the-despoiler/

Something I've quickly thought about is a Abaddon + Typhus deathstar, stick those suckers in a land raider with 3 nurgle mutilators and you have enough points left over for 4x5 double plasma plague marine squads, 15 zombies and a Hell-turkey.

Lovely conversion based on the csm termie lord. Let us know when you get that bad boy painted up.

Based on a recent game i played, deep striking  a 400pt unit (abby + termies) can prove disasterous if you can't roll that 3+ reserve roll in time. In lower point games it severely handicaps the rest of the army letting the enemy take you down piecemeal. In the end, when he finally deep striked i was able to run away because y'know... given the choice of charging him or not... your just not gonna bother are you?

I'm convinced that you need him on the board at the start - meaning a land raider OR footslogging. Cultists sounds like a slower (no run) but harder (abby > Khârn BUT Khârn gives hatred) version of the Khârn-bomb. A land raider would end up hella expensive and something you'd need to build your list around - try it! Either way you've got the single hardest character to challenge in the whole of 40k !!

Mutilators give a whole lot more than termies if you could look past the lack of combi's - versatile weapons & more wounds!

The plus side to the Abby/Typhus deathstar is you get access to our best troop choice - Plague marines! Abuse them & stick in that turkey & go for it!

The problem is that you shouldn't look past the combis, ime, a lot of the time that single round of plasma death accounts for a third or more of the unit's output over the course of a game, and more than that in the first few turns which are so key.

Ignore the chosen haters. :p

They work well for me, and clearly if you're worried about points cost you wouldn't be fielding Abby. I've never used them as scoring, but I do use them for a forward assault unit. I run Huron, myself, and I generally will outflank or infiltrate my chosen to get them into the thick of it sooner, where they belong. I give them MoS so they're all truckin around with 4 attacks each on a charge and layin the smackdown with 2 power weapons before the silly loyalists can even blink. With Huron alone it's scary, I'd love to see a scoring wad of those badboys while Abby rolls a dozen attacks all by himself. And who can say a scoring unit with up to 6 power /special weapons is bad? (expensive, sure, but, well, 2 attacks base, grenades, and ubergrit included, they probably cost what a regular marine would if you paid for ubergrit and could just BUY 1 more attack. big woop.)

I have had success running him with a blob of 20 cultists. They soak up wounds and if you don't want to challenge you can use the cultist champion to challenge first so that Abaddon is free to... You know.

Archived