reclusiarch over librarian?

Kaptejn

Hey all!

A pretty straight forward question here: Is there any time you would prefer to field the reclusiarch over the libby? 

I'm pretty psyked about using the reclusiarch  as my only HQ choice for some battles ahead. Figured i'll run him along my DC for some frenzied assaults. 

Is this foolish and the use of a librarian outweighs the use of a reclusiarch?

I ran one with JP, together with some JP death company, last weekend, and they started of with killing a talos pain engine, then a unit of hellions, and then 5 trueborn with their arcon. They then proceeded to put two wounds into a talos pain engine and died due to some lousy rolls. All in all, that unit dominated the board, due to all rerolling (and some very lucky dice rolls as well). It is fun if nothing else.

A reclusiarch is a good hq, as long as you use it well, and with the right people. To get the full use of a Reclusiarch, you need to put them with DCs, and you absolutely has to get the charge.. Im sure you can use it along with other units, but its with the DC that he really shines..! And if you fail to get the charge, then its just a worthless 130pts sarge, with a powerweapon, and an invul save..! :P

Situations where Reclusiarch beats Librarian:

• Runes of Warding is present
  • Using 'Charging DC' (meaning using Jump Packs, Raven or Raider)
  • You want an HQ with a cheap PowerFist (Horrible choice though.... 170pts for Reclusiarch w/JP+PF makes me wince at how bad that is)
  • You are not using any Transports and the enemy has precision striking or anti-psyker abilities

That last bullet is because often things like enemy Mindstrike missiles, Sergeant Telion, et. al. can be mitigated by putting the Librarian inside a Transport where he becomes a Shield of Sanguinius caster... but even then, he's contributing more than a Reclusiarch would. I can't think of any more situations than that. It is sortof like deciding "when is it better to get kicked than punched?" .... lol BA HQs just feel so underwhelming with the new generation of low-cost high-utility HQs out there. Codex envy...

• You are not using any Transports and the enemy has precision striking or anti-psyker abilities

That last bullet is because often things like enemy Mindstrike missiles, Sergeant Telion, et. al. can be mitigated by putting the Librarian inside a Transport where he becomes a Shield of Sanguinius caster... but even then, he's contributing more than a Reclusiarch would. 

Don't really agree with the last part. Clumping together to get a 5+ cover doesn't seem like the best use of 100 pts. It's situational of course but a killy and more durable HQ can be useful too. 

In fact I feel like people slightly overestimate to usefulness of our cheap HQ. If he really has synergy with your force that's one thing but if all he does is hide to not become a VP liability and maybe twinlink a unit or two during the entire course of the game it's time to look at alternatives. 

If he really has synergy with your force that's one thing but if all he does is hide to not become a VP liability and maybe twinlink a unit or two during the entire course of the game it's time to look at alternatives.

No no I agree with you here K&F. That last bullet was more of a 'make lemonade from lemons' situation. Shouldn't start off with that being your plan of usage, merely a way to mitigate his KP by hiding if you have to.

The thing is, Runes of Warding aside, Prescience is better than Litanies of Blood. A Force Axe is better than a Crozius. The only thing the Reclusiarch has over the Librarian is the improved stats and the 4++. 

So you have to decide if that is better for your 30pts difference. Or if you are taking one for 'rule of cool', that doesn't really matter.

Personally I'll just dump 250pts into Mephiston and have my DC run round on their own out of a pod.

First, don't take me too seriously because for me Reclusiarch always beats libbies. I just don't like them.

However, I use my Reclusiarch as DC support. I play naked reclusiarch with my DC in Crusader as my only close combat unit. It gives you 54 attacks with re-roll for both. That can help you go through any infantry unit.

Hey all!

A pretty straight forward question here: Is there any time you would prefer to field the reclusiarch over the libby? 

If I play a game of 5th edition? 

I think the changes to furious charge, random charge distance and the crozius make the librarian a much better all-rounder and value.

Just started playing blood angels so excuse the dumb question...

When you take jp dc, do you deep strike or start on table?

Don't mean to thread jack, just a simple aside.

That's for you to decide. They may deepstrike and all non fliers may start on the board. This decision should be influenced by what you are facing. What would give you an edge?

On board, moving 12" behind AV 13 screen is expensive but efficient. Sometimes.....

Archived