Watchers in the Dark fluff

Upstartes

I think the question of what the Watchers in the Dark are is securely rooted in the fluff. They are another race in the 40k universe. I think the real question one has to ask about them is, why? Why are they still with the DA? Since they were just there to keep an eye on Caliban, why do they still offer their services to the DA? Is there some guilt? Do they think that in the end days of the universe the DA's Legion and Primarch are the only thing that can save it from Chaos?

I think this is the important question tbh smile.pngtongue.png

And I dunno about the Watchers only appearing to certain people - they only elect to follow certain people, certainly, but I think anyone can see them.  Elsewise, people would be asking why the Lion Helm and Perfidious Relics just seem to float around of their own accord.

In Grey Angel

A Watcher appears only to Loken even tho Luthor is in the room.

This would tend to mean that they are seen when they want to be seen, those given coolness duties of carrying relics would be seen by all but those just watching could be hidden.

Xenos/Daemonic, You guys forget that there are other forces in the Warp, Khaine, Malal, Gork/Mork.  They are described as a Cabal in Decent of Angels but there isnt anything to say that they arent of a minor power or a Xenos race so their origin is murky and will probibly stay that way.

And ElPhil raises a good point, Are they still around cause the bit of the Rock is still a gateway to the warp or are they keeping T'chulla (was'isname) in check.

I think the question of what the Watchers in the Dark are is securely rooted in the fluff. They are another race in the 40k universe. I think the real question one has to ask about them is, why? Why are they still with the DA? Since they were just there to keep an eye on Caliban, why do they still offer their services to the DA? Is there some guilt? Do they think that in the end days of the universe the DA's Legion and Primarch are the only thing that can save it from Chaos?I think this is the important question tbh :):P

They are helping the DA on their hunt to find me! (The fallen) zahriel finds and "captures" the demon inside himself by knowing its name. Seeing the taint of caliban captured they want to hunt those who would try to use this evil, Luther and the fallen.

This is further enhanced by not exactly knowing who cypher is. He could be the one with the daemon in his head and that's why he has all those epic escapes, like Luther he is enhanced by the warp.

The death of a thousand psychic souls a day to feed the remainder of the Emperor's psychic soul for the light of the Astronomicron is not what I would call pure. As well, granted it came from a demon, but the greatest lies hold truth, if the Emperor really did steal knowledge to create the Primarchs from the Chaos Gods themselves, then they too bear tainted origins already. That possibly fed down into whatever gene-seed from the Primarchs was used to create the Space Marine Legions, meaning each Space Marine could bear some Chaos taint already, in knowledge used for their creation if nothing else. Also, look at the brutality committed by the Emperor to create the Imperium already.

Also, here is the line from the main rule book, page 66: "Psykers are warriors gifted wth awesome mental powers that enable them to channel the baleful energy of the Warp. Whilst commonly referred to as psychic powers, such abilities are nothing less than sorcery - though it suits many races in the galaxy to pretend otherwise." (emphasis mine) Now, say what you want, I believe that the writers for 40K do know the actual negative connotations (and denotation of baleful) of these words in English. They indicate that the energy of the Warp is dark/evil/harmful/bad, that using it is a "dark art" (sorcery as generally considered in much of Western society), and that to say or believe otherwise is to willfully ignore these concepts.

There is nothing pure in the Warp. Khaine, Malal, Gork and Mork, these are all reflections of dark things, cruel and evil things, chaotic and unbound things, none of which would traditionally be called pure, except in their extremism. It's all reinforcing the true darkness of this universe. There are no good guys. There is nothing redeeming to be found in the use of psychic power of any kind. This is not a universe where good little kids and puppies get shiny vacations at Disney and have sugar plum dreams. Psychic children's dreams may touch on the Warp and they probably get eaten by the very things they dream of and loose a demon onto the physical plane. The Emperor did cruel, evil and barbaric things to the populace of Terra and then went on to start doing them in the galaxy as a whole, the entire time trying to engineer a society that ignorantly went on without knowledge of the horrid dangers that they exist in. There is a reason that ignorance is a virtue in the Imperium, it's a rewriting of the Imperial Truth of the Emperor. Ignorance keeps you safe. The Emperor's Webway project coupled with a true solidification of the Imperial Truth would have left humanity completely ignorant of the Warp and the dangers of it and outside it's reach. The Emperor is definitely not pure though and no amount of saints can say otherwise. Big E was trying to do good, but did it using tainted or evil methods. His Primarchs are no better and their psychic uses, concious or otherwise, are manipulations of baleful energies through sorcery, per the 40K rule book.

As for what the Watchers are still doing: I think they are likely attempting to help the DA hunt Chaos and possibly the Fallen specifically, while at the same time keeping their eyes on the remaining Dark Angels. That they themselves might have a dual purpose in their relationship with the DA eould very much reflect thematic elements of the Dark Angels, such as the Circles within Circles concept, secretive nature and "split personality" of the DA/Fallen.

^great perspective and good examples.

All of this discussion and more is why the dark angels are the most interesting chapter in the 40k universe. The secrets and hidden truths of their purpose still continue to be shrouded and the watchers personify this all to well.

I think we are forgetting the basic principle that turned the warp into what it is today: Emotion.

The warp was not what it is now before the war in heaven. In essence the eldar and the rest of the psichic races engineered by the old ones shaped it into what is today, aldeit indirectly. What later was twisted to become deamons were cerene existances (cant remember where I read that one but its definently out there).

The raw emotion of the fledgling races twisted them into demons. So in a sense the mortals corrupted the warp and in turn now it seeks to feed off them.

And now a theory: I agree that every sort of psionic power is sorcery but I do believe that at least in theory there has to be a pure place/spring inside the mailstrom.

Probably not in this galaxy since even the unexplored areas contain pockets of civilization (whether that is eldar/humans or any other psichic race its enough to twist the warp), but perhaps in another galaxy.

To support my (theoritical) points ill throw three races in the table: Nids Tau and Necrons

The nids have come from another galaxy alltogether and barring the hive mind (which is no psichic as if warp fuelled, if it was we have to consider terran insects as psichic as well tongue.png ) they had no psichic ability whatsoever. Thereby their galaxy has to have a stable section of the warp.

The tau been tau have no powers period.

The necrons too had not a sred of psichic power.

'Now why Immolator are you using those three races and where the heck are you getting with that :cuss huge post?'

The answer: Barring some theories about the tau been an engineered race (which are not cannon) all three of them are naturally evolved. And all three of them have not a shred of connection with the warp.

TLDR: The warp became what it is due to the old ones fiddling with and engineering races to wield it as a weapon. Before that, everything was calm and its denizens had nothing to do with the present day demons. The universe itself seems to evolve races that are completely blind to the warp in order to keep the division between the two realities. Its only mortal trifling that turned the warp into a hellscape and that has to be local in this galaxy (unless there are other races out there that have bright ideas too). The warp outside the galaxy is probably still a calm and peaceful place due to the lack of psichics.

Therefore the warp in it self is not corrupting, the corruption/deamons is a result of adding artificially created psichic races into the equation.

Perhaps the watchers are aware of this and they are working towards pacifying the warp again, though IMHO that means erradicating every psionically attuned race in the galaxy, enabling the warp to implode on itself.

It was a lesson from accademician Brother Immolator. Nerd Supreme woot.gif

DAMN I AM GOOD!

Disagree that Nids aren't psychic. They are, in my view.

I also think there are sufficient hints in the fluff to suggest the Tau are being engineered, or at least hot-housed.

I also think there are sufficient hints in the fluff to suggest the Tau are being engineered, or at least hot-housed.

Nids became sort of psichic by the advent of harvesting DNA by the eldar. The floating brain thinggie (forgeting the name now) is a post galaxy entry engineered thingie (such as the hive guard are). Past that there was no indication of psionic control. The hive mind even supresses the warp and its control is akin to an insect hive.

As to the tau where? The only thing I read is that old book genology I think it was, but that is not considered canon as far as I know.

Perhaps the watchers are aware of this and they are working towards pacifying the warp again, though IMHO that means erradicating every psionically attuned race in the galaxy, enabling the warp to implode on itself.

So...   the watchers have a hand in creating the tyranids?....   Deep...

So...   the watchers have a hand in creating the tyranids?....   Deep...

That's a bit of a stretch to conclude. :P

Nids became sort of psichic by the advent of harvesting DNA by the eldar. The floating brain thinggie (forgeting the name now) is a post galaxy entry engineered thingie (such as the hive guard are). Past that there was no indication of psionic control. The hive mind even supresses the warp and its control is akin to an insect hive.

Actually, I've read things stating the exact opposite, that the Hive Mind literally overloads the warp in controlling a hive fleet. All synapse creatures are considered psykers at it. Plus we've had that SMurf psyker establish a psychic link with the Hive Mind.

Codex; Tyranids (3rd edition) outrights states that any Tyranids featuring any of the listed powers is a psyker and can be affected by things with special effects against psykers.

And yeah, it is quite unlikely for a species (Tau) that was still in the stone age in M35 to have advanced plasma weaponry only a few thousand years later.

Briefly going off topic, the hints of the Tau being cultivated are:

- their area of space having unusual warp 'barriers' around it that has discouraged others from coming through, (ref. the Andy Hoare Rogue Trader novels)

- a convenient warp storm that arose just at the right time to stop the first Imperial efforts to stomp their faces, (ref. their old codex)

- the sighting of strange lights in the sky immediately before the arrival of the Ethereals (itself immediately after the Imperium first discovered the planet Tau) (ref their current codex)

- their rapid evolutionary and technological progress (although stated as unusual in the canon and therefore included in this list, it wasn't really that fast. Primitive tribes to spacefaring in 6000 years. Humanity has gone from bronze age to interplanetary probes/nuclear weapons/internet in just over 3000 years. If we survive another 3000 imagine how far we'll develop).

I'm curious, from some of these replies I can conclude the Watchers follow certain Dark Angels around wherever they go, this includes leaving the Rock I assume.

Would Watchers also accompany members of successor Chapters? being that they are made of the same gene-seed and although some view it in a different perspective, they all share the same goal.

Though saying that... would the Watchers then also accompany successor Chapters that are not part of the Unforgiven? Ie. the Watchers don't actually care about the Fallen and are simply there to achieve their own goals?

As for being seen by whoever they choose, they are called Watchers 'in the dark' for a reason smile.png and since they seem to have the power to do that, I'm sure they can 'extend' this psychic field around whatever object they are carrying aswell, so no floating Lion helmets I'd say (though I guess this could be another psychological warfare effect they could create to help the Dark Angels in their battles... 'aaah ghosts!')

Well you can have DWK with a Perfidious Relic in a successor chapter, so maybe. Although you can also have a replica of Sammael's "unique" jetbike in every successor as well apparently.

So... the watchers have a hand in creating the tyranids?.... Deep...

Missed the mark quite a ways I might say msn-wink.gif. What I meant is actually the plan of the cabal. Ensure all the psichic races are extinct and then there will be no chaos. The nids are a threat on a different scale and of a different nature. Whats the point of removing chaos if there is no life?

I used the nids as an example of natural life evolving without psichic powers.

-

their area of space having unusual warp 'barriers' around it that has

discouraged others from coming through, (ref. the Andy Hoare Rogue

Trader novels)

- a convenient warp storm that arose just at the right

time to stop the first Imperial efforts to stomp their faces, (ref.

their old codex)

- the sighting of strange lights in the sky

immediately before the arrival of the Ethereals (itself immediately

after the Imperium first discovered the planet Tau) (ref their current

codex)

- their rapid evolutionary and technological progress

(although stated as unusual in the canon and therefore included in this

list, it wasn't really that fast. Primitive tribes to spacefaring in

6000 years. Humanity has gone from bronze age to interplanetary

probes/nuclear weapons/internet in just over 3000 years. If we survive

another 3000 imagine how far we'll develop).

Well, all I can say is that right now if you ask around you will find about a couple million of people seeing strange lights and been abducted by aliens tongue.png

Also a hint is not conclusive evidence.

Nids

became sort of psichic by the advent of harvesting DNA by the eldar.

The floating brain thinggie (forgeting the name now) is a post galaxy

entry engineered thingie (such as the hive guard are). Past that there

was no indication of psionic control. The hive mind even supresses the

warp and its control is akin to an insect hive.

Actually,

I've read things stating the exact opposite, that the Hive Mind

literally overloads the warp in controlling a hive fleet. All synapse

creatures are considered psykers at it. Plus we've had that SMurf psyker

establish a psychic link with the Hive Mind.

Codex; Tyranids (3rd

edition) outrights states that any Tyranids featuring any of the listed

powers is a psyker and can be affected by things with special effects

against psykers.

And yeah, it is quite unlikely for a species

(Tau) that was still in the stone age in M35 to have advanced plasma

weaponry only a few thousand years later.

I might need to get fluff up to speed about the nids. Are those in the 5th codex too?

Well, all I can say is that right now if you ask around you will find about a couple million of people seeing strange lights and been abducted by aliens tongue.png

Yeah, because deluded people in the real world are equivalent to an occurrence in a fictional universe.

There's no such thing as conclusive evidence of anything in the 40K universe because its all made up, and even within that its a "flexible canon" where there are explicitly no authoritative sources.

That said, I've given you some sources for my speculative theory, do you have any for your ideas? ;)

So... the watchers have a hand in creating the tyranids?.... Deep...

Missed the mark quite a ways I might say msn-wink.gif. What I meant is actually the plan of the cabal. Ensure all the psichic races are extinct and then there will be no chaos. The nids are a threat on a different scale and of a different nature. Whats the point of removing chaos if there is no life?

I used the nids as an example of natural life evolving without psichic powers.

-

their area of space having unusual warp 'barriers' around it that has

discouraged others from coming through, (ref. the Andy Hoare Rogue

Trader novels)

- a convenient warp storm that arose just at the right

time to stop the first Imperial efforts to stomp their faces, (ref.

their old codex)

- the sighting of strange lights in the sky

immediately before the arrival of the Ethereals (itself immediately

after the Imperium first discovered the planet Tau) (ref their current

codex)

- their rapid evolutionary and technological progress

(although stated as unusual in the canon and therefore included in this

list, it wasn't really that fast. Primitive tribes to spacefaring in

6000 years. Humanity has gone from bronze age to interplanetary

probes/nuclear weapons/internet in just over 3000 years. If we survive

another 3000 imagine how far we'll develop).

Nids

became sort of psichic by the advent of harvesting DNA by the eldar.

The floating brain thinggie (forgeting the name now) is a post galaxy

entry engineered thingie (such as the hive guard are). Past that there

was no indication of psionic control. The hive mind even supresses the

warp and its control is akin to an insect hive.

Actually,

I've read things stating the exact opposite, that the Hive Mind

literally overloads the warp in controlling a hive fleet. All synapse

creatures are considered psykers at it. Plus we've had that SMurf psyker

establish a psychic link with the Hive Mind.

Codex; Tyranids (3rd

edition) outrights states that any Tyranids featuring any of the listed

powers is a psyker and can be affected by things with special effects

against psykers.

And yeah, it is quite unlikely for a species

(Tau) that was still in the stone age in M35 to have advanced plasma

weaponry only a few thousand years later.

I might need to get fluff up to speed about the nids. Are those in the 5th codex too?

Probably, lemme check.

5th edition codex: p.33: Tyranid Psykers, many Tyranid creatures are also psykers.

P.33: Synapse creature: some of the larger, more intelligent Tyranid creatures act as psychic conduits or nodal relays.

No mention of the hydra effect, but nothing stating the opposite either, so the older fluff would still stand.

Well,

all I can say is that right now if you ask around you will find about a

couple million of people seeing strange lights and been abducted by

aliens tongue.png

Yeah, because deluded people in the real world are equivalent to an occurrence in a fictional universe.

There's

no such thing as conclusive evidence of anything in the 40K universe

because its all made up, and even within that its a "flexible canon"

where there are explicitly no authoritative sources.

That said, I've given you some sources for my speculative theory, do you have any for your ideas? msn-wink.gif

By the manner you choose to answer I would rather not to.

Probably, lemme check.

5th edition codex: p.33: Tyranid Psykers, many Tyranid creatures are also psykers.

P.33: Synapse creature: some of the larger, more intelligent Tyranid creatures act as psychic conduits or nodal relays.

No mention of the hydra effect, but nothing stating the opposite either, so the older fluff would still stand.

Thanks for the info, I will check that first chance. But is it a fluff section or a rules section? Because rules and fluff doesnt go hand to hand. I know they use stuff like biomancy, but I am not aware of the fluffy reasons. Or rather I believe it has to do with the psiker DNA of our galaxy been absorbed.

It was just a Carlinesqe theory of extinction and saving the planet.... tongue.png

I am afraid I am not familiar with the reference bro :(

"Buried yet deeper within the Rock, hidden in its innermost chamber, is the final, greatest secret of the Dark Angels;
- Hidden inside a secluded chamber at the heart of what was once the planet of Caliban, unreachable by all save the cryptic Watchers in the Dark, the mighty Primarch Lion 'El Johnson lies sleeping. There he slumbers, his wounds long-healed, waiting for that time when he will be needed once again..."

- Page 26, Codex Dark Angels.

These are spoilers from the Mechanicum book of the Horus Heresy series, and references to Horus Rising plus Inquisition Wars. Read at your own peril:

Taking in to consideration the gambit the Emperor takes, as he took with the Dragon of Mars(Void Dragon; Mechanicum Novel): The duel with the Emperor and the Void Dragon, in the medieval ages. Restraining it and dragging it to Mars only to be found thousands of years after to increase the technological research and drive of Humanity. Keeping the Dragon alive through all this time.

- Taking every other "coincidence factor" that has surrounded the Emperor.. It is no coincidence that the Watcher's in the Dark were there long before the Lion arrived. Also taking in to consideration that the Emperor had around half of his legions turn to traitors, and the Lion suffering pretty much the same treachery as the Emperor did within his own ranks(around half of the Dark Angels turning in to traitors).

- Also adding up the fact that neither the Lion or the Emperor were very keen on telling everyone of their closest people completely everything that they knew, and as the Emperor did create the Primarchs in a way that he gave one of his traits to each and everyone of them. The Lion and the Emperor faced a lot of same hardships, but the Watcher's in the Dark were always there, and the Emperor never at least this far has mentioned anything bad, or negative about them. Even when he arrived on Caliban. For he must have seen them, for he knew more about the Warp than anyone has ever known, he foresaw the rise of Tau thousands of years before, before they even existed.

The Emperor devoid everyone to call him a "God" at the time, and Horus' view of the Lion as being a distant brother, who he was careful to be in contact with, strikes a chord with how the Horus saw the Emperor as he returned to Terra, for Horus to lead the Great Crusade.

- Emperor does not simply play with small stakes, he plays his game on a galactic scale, yet as he "spoke psychically" to Jaq Draco in the Inquisition Wars novel.. We cannot know anything for certain. Only thing we can know, is that Lion's betrayer, Luthor is still alive, for the Chaos left him.

- Emperor's betrayer, Horus was slain by the Emperor, for he was too firmly in the embrace of the 4 Gods. Emperor still carries the guilt and shame from those days(Inquisition Wars), but Lion has his betrayer still in the holds. 

What I'm just writing here, is lining up the dots to see what can and cannot be seen. For as it is with the Emperor, he would have intervened at some point if there was something amiss with the Dark Angels, yet he never did, even after the last conversations after the battle with the Emperor and Horus.

- Feel free to be against me on this, for I do not expect people to follow what I say blindly, for these are merely what I have been able to gather since 1994 when I joined the ranks of the Dark Angels. I'd prefer to leave the most over-the-top speculations off the record on my end.

P.S. in the tale of Two Heads Talking, in the Deathwing Novel, the Broodlord is clearly stated as being a psychic capable, as the Dark Angel librarian fights him mentally. Tyranids have always been part of the warp, even if not in the way that the Eldar & Daemons have, for it's the way they interact with the Hive Mind's presence across the stars, instantly.

"Buried yet deeper within the Rock, hidden in its innermost chamber, is the final, greatest secret of the Dark Angels;

- Hidden inside a secluded chamber at the heart of what was once the planet of Caliban, unreachable by all save the cryptic Watchers in the Dark, the mighty Primarch Lion 'El Johnson lies sleeping. There he slumbers, his wounds long-healed, waiting for that time when he will be needed once again..."

- Page 26, Codex Dark Angels.

These are spoilers from the Mechanicum book of the Horus Heresy series, and references to Horus Rising plus Inquisition Wars. Read at your own peril:

Taking in to consideration the gambit the Emperor takes, as he took with the Dragon of Mars(Void Dragon; Mechanicum Novel): The duel with the Emperor and the Void Dragon, in the medieval ages. Restraining it and dragging it to Mars only to be found thousands of years after to increase the technological research and drive of Humanity. Keeping the Dragon alive through all this time.

- Taking every other "coincidence factor" that has surrounded the Emperor.. It is no coincidence that the Watcher's in the Dark were there long before the Lion arrived. Also taking in to consideration that the Emperor had around half of his legions turn to traitors, and the Lion suffering pretty much the same treachery as the Emperor did within his own ranks(around half of the Dark Angels turning in to traitors).

- Also adding up the fact that neither the Lion or the Emperor were very keen on telling everyone of their closest people completely everything that they knew, and as the Emperor did create the Primarchs in a way that he gave one of his traits to each and everyone of them. The Lion and the Emperor faced a lot of same hardships, but the Watcher's in the Dark were always there, and the Emperor never at least this far has mentioned anything bad, or negative about them. Even when he arrived on Caliban. For he must have seen them, for he knew more about the Warp than anyone has ever known, he foresaw the rise of Tau thousands of years before, before they even existed.

The Emperor devoid everyone to call him a "God" at the time, and Horus' view of the Lion as being a distant brother, who he was careful to be in contact with, strikes a chord with how the Horus saw the Emperor as he returned to Terra, for Horus to lead the Great Crusade.

- Emperor does not simply play with small stakes, he plays his game on a galactic scale, yet as he "spoke psychically" to Jaq Draco in the Inquisition Wars novel.. We cannot know anything for certain. Only thing we can know, is that Lion's betrayer, Luthor is still alive, for the Chaos left him.

- Emperor's betrayer, Horus was slain by the Emperor, for he was too firmly in the embrace of the 4 Gods. Emperor still carries the guilt and shame from those days(Inquisition Wars), but Lion has his betrayer still in the holds. 

What I'm just writing here, is lining up the dots to see what can and cannot be seen. For as it is with the Emperor, he would have intervened at some point if there was something amiss with the Dark Angels, yet he never did, even after the last conversations after the battle with the Emperor and Horus.

- Feel free to be against me on this, for I do not expect people to follow what I say blindly, for these are merely what I have been able to gather since 1994 when I joined the ranks of the Dark Angels. I'd prefer to leave the most over-the-top speculations off the record on my end.

P.S. in the tale of Two Heads Talking, in the Deathwing Novel, the Broodlord is clearly stated as being a psychic capable, as the Dark Angel librarian fights him mentally. Tyranids have always been part of the warp, even if not in the way that the Eldar & Daemons have, for it's the way they interact with the Hive Mind's presence across the stars, instantly.

Yet according to lore, instantly is not viable. All psionic communication is completely random.

A hive mind (the term) is not a psionic entity. It is quazy at best a completely different mechanism at worst.

What I am saying is that, it is described as psionic as a means to an end, the end been easy to understand and use certain rules on the tabletop.

There are many instances where it both described as psionics and many others who are not clear.

Its murky.

On another note I agree that if something was amiss with the watchers or the general disposition of the DA, the big e would have taken a hand to adress the situation, and that (for me at least) is the big prof of the loyalty of the Legion.

P.S. I havent checked the codex yet.

Archived